REPLACED rFactor 2 Build 342 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It seems that most are really happy with this build with visual & performance improvements

My pc gear is current & fairly high spec, was this build optimising for specific slightly lower/older hardware ?

+will my wheel be supported again at some point in the future?

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

[​IMG]

The same cam without zoom (end key).
    [​IMG]

Cam name is "TRACKING010".

Quote from the CAM file
    Quote from SCN file.

3. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

I agree the shadow render distance problem has been there from day one. Shadows only look right when the cars are close to the cameras. From great distances like on some silverstone cameras the car is floating with no shadow at all, then as it gets closer better shadows start to pop in. In the latest build, it looks like the shadow distances have been slightly extended which is a good start. One thing I keep hoping for is that ISI lets us the user adjust shadow render distances in the display options. It's a very annoying thing when watching replays. Why not let the users with beefy computers adjust the distances ourselves? Also I can't believe some people are actually saying that there is no problem with the shadows, it doesn't make sense. Its the same with the rf2 config AA modes. They work kind of but in order to get a perfect image you need to use Sparce grid super-sampling which takes half your frame rate away. i will never understand why they don't admit there is an issue or if they are going to ever fix it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

No one can deny that rf2's replays system needs a lot of work! every thing seems to lose quality in the replays, from textures,reflections, shadows, shaders and even lighting and this is noticeable especially from the TV camera!
    I used to enjoy GT5's replays after every online race, can't say the same about rfactor 2 and actually all my YT video that I make are captured live when I drive!

5. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Played quite a bit with settings, and I've found that I can retain the previous visual quality I had from b300 (maybe just a tad less quality) by lowering the detail settings, and I get a HUGE fps increase in doing so. This has allowed me to now run at least 20 AI visible without ever dropping below 60, even at Silverstone. That was never possible before without making everything look really...bad. I've also played with Shadow settings, decided to turn them off when running anything other than a hotlap by myself, it causes a pretty decent hit to fps. So now I feel I can actually do some real racing online, and not feel hindered by performance hiccups!

I do have a couple issues though. First, when I run the Clios, I do NOT get the same FPS as I do with any other car. With the Clios only, I drop well below 60 fps in the cockpit with 20 AI visible. All other cars, at same track, over 80 average. Is there an issue with the Clios? Or does this have something to do with my settings, or have I done something to this car that would cause this problem (shaders or something maybe)?

Second, and this is very minor, is I've noticed a bit of 'lag' in the car selection menu, List View. The track list view is smooth as butter, and I have about the same number of cars as tracks (about 20 each give or take, didn't count.) Is this because I have too many cars installed, and its causing a bit of slowdown on the UI? Or is something else going on there?

Final question. Like I said, I'm getting great performance now, at same or just a tad less quality than last build. However, when I ctrl+c, I notice that the green bar is all the way to the right, and it spikes towards the left, and purple bar only goes about halfway. I imagine either my GPU or CPU is getting maxed. Which one? If it helps, I'm running a GTS 450 (will upgrade soon) and a Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 ghz (not planned on upgrading yet, but will eventually.)

6. mospider

mospider Registered

If I turn on HDR is all very dark. Was not with the previous build.

7. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

I read alot of posts of complaining and some of the stuff I read makes me wonder why they sell keyboards to the public but THIS is true. One of the very first things I noticed about rFactor 2 when I bought it was after being wowed driving the cars around for the very first time when I did rip myself away from the wheel I went to check out the replay and my jaw dropped to the floor, and not in excitement. How could a game look and feel so great when actually racing completely fall apart in replays? It has gotten better but it still needs some work. Cars don't seem to animate well in replays either. Feel and look great in the cockpit but replays, ugh.

8. whitmore

whitmore Registered

ODD sounds

I posted this problem on 14 September after build 300.
    Since install of build 300 I am hearing some peculiar engine sounds usually when near the start finish lines and at other random points around the track.. Happens with all tracks and all cars. Sounds very staticy repeating.

Sound effects set to 64. Is it just me or other hearing this too?

Sound is just like having a stone in the tread of a tyre.

So there will be more than just one person with sound issues.
    Spinner not Loading - Fixed had to clean install. Was waiting 2 -3 minutes but spinner would not load.
    Used auto update first seemed to install ok but noticed two issues. First was the spinner not loading and second when I went to look for the new setting in the plr file I noticed I
    did not have the option to set AI sample size for new learning process. I still had plr from build 300.
    Downloaded content builder from website and did a new clean install. New plr file now with new settings and spinner loading ok.
    Still yet to test for sound issue but will be doing so shortly.
    All files installed to hard drive in one location f:\rFactor2

9. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Tim, if I may; I experience the same thing as emha; handling is WAY better......but fps is just a bit lower on my system...... If anything; the lag is less (but it was pretty good to start with here) so......
    Not to be annoying, but it really IS better and it (well, in my case) has nothing to do with fps (I think, see the "lower" part).
    It's just great, no complaints from me, but are you sure you didn't fix anything by accident or forgot to write some fix down? ;) :)

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was half expecting to see a screenshot of a mirage ;)

I'm not sure if what you've got is normal for rF2 or not, but this can definitely happen to some extent in real life. Probably less so, especially for a dark colour (I've seen a bright truck reflecting off dry tarmac quite clearly), though I imagine overall lighting would influence it.

So could be an oddity, or a cool addition slightly overdone :)

GFX card interference goes into your sound card/output, and you'll hear it through speakers/headphones. I get a very pronounced sound if I accidentally unplug my surround audio jack and it's sitting close to the GFX card (obviously the 'front speakers' jack is still plugged in, and I'm listening to audio through my headphones via that) Sometimes just scrolling a webpage is enough to hear a kind of 'ticking' sound - the main rF2 menu goes absolutely bananas because of the refresh rate, and if I concentrate hard I'm pretty sure I can hear it when in the car but for the most part the engine sounds etc drown it out.

But after googling a bit I found some people do get it to the point of hearing it at quiet moments even if they don't have my unplugged-lead 'issue', so that might be the issue for you. Some people find resolution just by moving some internal PC wires away from the GFX card, maybe a dedicated sound card etc might also help but it depends how much of an issue it is.

The frame rate limiting is not about your PC power - if the main menu is running at 500Hz and creating this interference, limiting the entire game to 120Hz will reduce it. And likely have little effect during driving.

11. boxer

boxer Registered

Tim I have experience this as well from way back(from my day one)... but not in every build...bu I thought it was my PC setup so I never mentioned.
    I am using a sound blaster audigy card with various headphones(output set correctly)... It could be a card issue.. It also only happens in rFactor2 for me.

12. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

agreed, I know what more fps can do. Last build I was running a little over 100 fps, this time I turn graphics down a wee bit (didn't need but a wee bit)to keep over 100 and I noticed from the start that something was different with physics (for the better)

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Somewhat surprised that before I said that, you thought we were finished with the replay/camera systems. Good to know I'm still able to find people who didn't know that, I guess.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Did you try turning off the laptime readouts from the spotter?

15. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Testing on Silverstone I have noticed a small bug - some flickering on screen in the cockpit view.

The flickering only appears in two places - some of the grandstands flicker and some parts of the cockpit interior flicker. This only happens at certain parts of the track whilst driving (it doesn't happen throughout the whole lap), but the two types of flickering seem related to each other (the cockpit and grandstands both flicker at the same times and stop flickering at the same times).

I know it's a bit of an odd bug, it might be something on my end but I don't think it is. Just thought I would mention it.

I'm also interested in what you did technically to sharpen up the whole image whilst driving the sim - a few people have mentioned this improvement, and it looks great now. Also the cars seem to look better from the trackside cameras. Very impressed overall.

16. Navigator

Navigator Registered

True Jim, but I mean; this build gives me about 10 to 15 fps less and I still get better handling.

17. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

For those having sound problems (end of race, during menu, etc.) perhaps you can try to grab it through E.g. fraps? If you can it will mean it's not some kind of interference, and Devs will be able to hear that too...

18. F2kSel

F2kSel Registered

I still after all this time can't work out how to update this game.

I download the update and run it and select the folders and something installs but I don't see any version number in the game and the launcher version is still 0.685

The update button is greyed out before and after update.

19. crz

crz Registered

When you click on the update tab in the launcher it tells you the version. If the updaate tab itself is greyed out rF2 probably isn't activated. Start Launcher-->Purchase-->Activate

20. mavericckk

mavericckk Registered

in build 300 +10 fps than older builds , now - 10 fps than B300. in terms, still good for me .
    My test is always with Meganes at Mills 20 cars,shadows in Med. in all build i do the same.Always using lite update.