Community Videos Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

^ Part of the problem is that many tracks just reset weather to default all sunny. Seems few of them have a .wet setting included.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Our tracks should default to a weather setup appropriate for races there.

3. Justy

Justy Registered

Not sure this is the place to post this, but there is what seems to be a small bug with the default weather. The ISI tracks do have nice default weather settings, but if you change track the weather always defaults back to perfectly clear. Even switching back to another ISI track will do this and you have to switch the "quick weather settings" to something else, then back to default for it to work correctly (if that makes sense :rolleyes: ).

I need to test this again to see exactly what happens, but for sure, I need to flick between quick weather options, to get the track default to appear sometimes.

4. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Well "Clear" doesn't have to mean Zero Clouds Possible. Just clouds are clouds. Not rain clouds or overcast. Just pretty clouds on a clear day.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

If you like the way it works, then I guess you haven't seen a proper Sun occlusion, yet :)
    Personally I don't like how it's done. If some cloud casts shadow over part of the track, I'd like to see it this way, not have lighting settings change for entire world simultaneously.

There's a difference between:
    - driving from dark side of the track to the bright one
    - driving on a track that goes from dark to bright everywhere at once

I find current effect very misleading - may trick you into believing it's going to rain. There's really no way of telling the difference. Yesterday I've spent a great deal of time driving Nissan at Portugal at different conditions and I've found visual representation of weather very misleading. There's just no way I could refer to what graphics engine was doing.

First indication of rain for me was dense water spray suddenly appearing in my rear mirror - and I was at the hairpin when that happened (!). "Is it raining?" - I thought. Had to look closely to notice raindrops. Next indication was decreased grip. Barely visible reflections on the road was the final indication of rain - long after grip levels dropped. I really needed to stop the car and look around to notice reflections.. The visibility was still excellent. I could see a bit of mist, but only at some distance.

How it should be? First - we need to see the rain coming - rain clouds getting closer or building up above. Next - we should see visibility dropping where rain is and raindrops if we are close enough. Third - we should see road getting wet - by noticing higher reflectivity (especially sky reflection should be obvious). And this is when grip levels should start to drop and water spray appear ( but it should not just kick-in like V-Tec ;) ).

Considering that grip levels dropped before I could finish a lap... Well - let's just say I will not participate in leagues that use variable weather in rF2 at it's current form as race result could be determined where rain caught you (beginning or end of lap).
    Right now it starts to rain out of nowhere and real road gets wet quickly, so you may not make it to the pits on your slicks. Having no other indication of incoming rain apart from change in lighting condition and clouds, you're pretty much left with no information. Especially that Sun occlusion effect can look exactly the same as beginning of rain.

While I don't expect anyone to make a fancy, life-like looking sky and clouds for me or some nice raindrops on cars, I do expect visual cues to carry some basic information. While I can sit in any of ISI's cars and instantly understand it's physics, I can't make anything out of ISI's environmental effects.

By the way - thanks everyone for posting IMS and DW12 videos - at least I got to have a glimpse while still being at work :) But now I'm off to try it out myself :) Cheers.

6. Justy

Justy Registered

Yeah I wasn't really referring to the clouds specifically. More that the icons for the weather settings all return to sunny and indeed if I go to track, that is what it loads, even though the simple weather preset still says "default". Just tested again... first time I fired rF2 today, last track/car were ISI's and the weather was set for sunny at all times just now, even though the default for indy has some light/medium cloud cover (going by the icons for the weather in the race settings screen). So clicked the simple weather setting away from default, then back to default and voila!

Anyway, sorry for the wholly confusing OT... back to the videos. :)

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Are volumetric clouds not possible with rF2 Tuttle or anyone from ISI? I mean i play alot of ARMA3 and it seems to simulate alot of the same stuff like rF2, actually it has full dynamic day/night transitions and weather but has brilliant looking skys with the clouds. I agree with alot here the rF2 skys now look really very average, clouds inpaticular do look poor.

8. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Hell yea! ArmA3 has the best clouds I have ever seen in a game. But aren't the clouds a third party software? Some guys who specialized in this kind of thing, I believe. Can't remember their company name.

What's even more important than clouds, at least to me, is sparks! Lots of sparks for when you touch the road with the chassis of your car. That will look pretty awesome in slomo. :) Just saying. :cool:

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I can't spoil to much but we're still working on the weather/light engine. :)

10. tjc

tjc Registered

:)

11. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

My first impressions of Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Enjoy! :cool:

12. GTrFreak

GTrFreak Registered

All I need to know... I will wait patiently

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Interesting, thanks :)

Good job overall mate. Not sure highlighting the car jumping in the air like that is a great idea but otherwise shading looks really nice at times on this model. Nice realistic looking reflections with the correct lighting. Other shots it just looks cartoony again. It's still so inconsistent graphically. Good video though

Also, I don't get these wet looking like track reflections. I see them on Loch Drummond aswell, Is it a bug or purposely there?

14. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

True. I just recently discovered the color corrector in Sony Vegas but only used it in one clip here to be perfectly honest. Besides, I'm not yet very familiar with how it works. Thanks for the comment, bro. In fact, I started making this kind of videos because of your videos. ;) It's been quite a looong learning process. Yet, there is still so much to learn.

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

An issue they know about. Iirc Tim said something about it with the release of Indy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Yeh, the reflections "bug" is build related, not content related according to Tim`s info... :)

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I'd be happy with a single spark at this point. :)

18. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yes sorry i meant maybe wasn't good to show that clip of the car jumping when i said highlighting, dunno just looks weird, the way the tyre deforms etc when it comes down looks silly and the car before looks odd on the curb. I didn't mean anything you have done badly with editing.

Ok thanks, looks weird

19. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I didn't take it as an offense. You're right about the tyre deformation. That's why I said, I wish there were some sparks. Then I would have used another angle.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9003 mit Tapatalk 2

20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Ales gives me the permission to make this video pubblic

Trust me, you will love this car, just brillante!(STILL wip, no MOTEC and driver)