Community Screenshots Thread (Unedited Screens Only)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 21, 2013.

1. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

2. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Well, it's in the quote you posted yourself. :)

You need to put the *.mas in your "UserData\player\Settings\DarcheEGT\DARCHEEGT_ 92" folder. The UserData folder is whereever you chose it to be when you installed rFactor 2, usually it's in your Documents folder. :)

Greez Rob

3. RJames

RJames Registered

4. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

[​IMG]
    "A red Moon is rising..." ;)

ISI needs to untie moon lighting from directional light used in the rest of the scene. Moon is outside Earth's atmosphere.
    This bug has been there since build 49, so I guess it's about time to point it out - I've seen enough screenshots with orange Moon ;)

6. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

That honestly didn't register with me when taking the screenshot. You're correct, later in the race, the moon was a bright white...I'm sure of it. I still like the shot though :D

7. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

mid/low settings but still automation lighting looks really nice:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Have you never heard of a harvest moon? The moon as viewed from earth does change colors based on seasons, from a near white, to blue and to orange. Though I am sure that there is likely another reason that the moon has the color it does in game.

9. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, Moon can get some red colors at the edge of eclipse.
    It can also appear red when being very low over horizon.

In rF2 however, this is permanent state during night. The only time when I saw grey moon in rF2 was during daytime :)

10. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Poznan doesn't have that read/orange moon

Btw, can you see the "oil effect" in the edges of this pic?

[​IMG]

11. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yes, very clearly.

12. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Very nice! i remember post a pic of a conversion and receive a warning, times change.

13. RJames

RJames Registered

It's not a public conversion, it was something I used for testing while first getting my hands dirty in track building and looking at and understanding what goes into a rf2 track. It was very useful to understand the layout of a rf2 track and how all the objects come together in files. Thankfully i've moved on since then to building my own tracks but it was valuable knowledge at the time :). Also to note, if its against the rules i'll happily take it down, was just in response to a screen of someone else of the daytona circuit.

14. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Easy mate, that post is not for you, also, everyone with two fingers of head knows that you must start for something, and conversions are where a lot of peoples are before make scratch.
    The post is for the double moral of some sites cof cof.

15. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Neither did COTA once the sun was fully down. What about at dusk where there is a lot of orange light?

16. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

17. Robert Gödicke

I don't want to bash on anyone, really, I am just honest by saying that I don't understand why people post so many screenshots which clearly show conversions from other commercial titles. What's the point? You cannot share them here since they are illegal (and you would definitely get a forum ban or at least a very big warning if you'd try to), they are usually made with low quality and a lot of people are not interested as well in that kind of content because serious leagues will never host a series using illegal conversions.

The only thing I can think of is that people are more or less "proud" to have something others don't have and probably want. I highly suspect that people are PM'ing each other as well to get those conversions which, at least in my eyes, makes this forum, and more specifically this thread, a meeting place to secretly share illegal conversions. I know people get upset pretty quickly when someone throws in the word "illegal", but it's simply what it is, illegal. Conversions from modding content without permission from the author is one thing, it's a real shame, disrespectful, but converting content from commercial titles (where the developer probably had to pay quite a big fee for licencing) is something different.

Once again, I don't want to attack anyone with this statement, it's just what I feel. And if I would be running these forums, I wouldn't allow screenshots which clearly show content from other developers in my own product.
    Just my 2 cents.

And now hate me for this. :)

Greez Rob

18. Rich Goodwin

Rich Goodwin Registered

Genuine question; How would one know?

I have taken many screenshots and shared them here. In honesty, this is the last place I share any content (video & Screenshots) because generally I do it to show off rFactor 2 in my own way and show how great it is.

I have probably used content that is from other commercial titles, but I don't know. I was using one the other day which I was told was converted from rF1 but before that it was illegally converted to rF1 from an F1 title? I have no idea. Like the F1 package that's doing the rounds with all of the 2013 tracks. Some have told me it's illegal, some say it's fine? I have no idea.... The tracks are of differing quality so it would surprise me if they were ripped from one source anyway.

Obviously if something is illegal, it is wrong. All I am trying to say is, if someone see's something like COTA (Me, I'll admit it) how are we to know if the source is genuine or not?

I'm not deliberately trying to act dumb....though this post may seem it.....

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I have different view on this matter.

All of us have our favorite cars. Sometimes people just want "car A" so badly, they will get it in any form they can have, regardless if it makes sense (physics-wise).

If I only had accurate Skip Barber in my sim + lots of other cars, but converted and with substitute physics, I'd only drive that Skip Barber. But for many people it's the other way around - the make of the car matters the most. But in that case, why not just buy other game and have the car in it's full glory, as made by artists? :)

I don't think it's about showing off - it's about wanting a given car.

20. Robert Gödicke

That is a good question actually. Noone can expect that everyone knows where any of the shown content comes from. Sometimes you can't be sure, especially by just looking at a screenshot. On the other side, if, for example (I'm just using it as an example because I've already seen it many times in this thread), a highly popular car like an Audi R18 is shown here multiple times and the author can't or doesn't want to say where its origin is, it's most probably a conversion. If a car with such good modelling is released as a scratch build mod, there would be a lot more people posting screenshots of it, linking to the thread or site when asked where they got it from and you would hear of it from famous simracing sites like VirtualR or BsimRacing etc. Somewhere in this thread people stated that the R18 for example is most probably from Forza or pCars, that the cockpit looks bad, the sounds are bad and the physics are bad. It's just the exterior model which looks good.

But that's just one point. Another one would be if the poster knows from which commercial title the content is from and even shares that information along with the screenshot. I would never post a screenshot of, let's say, pCars' Ford Zakspeed Turbo Capri in rFactor 2 and write: "It's a conversion from pCars." Of course people will ask in the thread and via PM if I could share the car, what else would I expect?

That's what concerns me more.

Dunno. If I would be ok using an illegal conversion I could simply use it. I could add it to my installation and drive whenever I want. I could drive the car I wanted so badly, no matter the quality of the conversion. Posting it here in the ISI forums though (where you are clearly not allowed to post links to illegal conversions from commercial titles), even if it's just in the form of screenshots, is more or less advertising said conversion. Or a simple "look what I got".