First impression build 339

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tosch, Oct 18, 2013.

1. emha76

emha76 Registered

Ok but we are testing here build on default settings.
    You said "Missing shadows in TV cam. Check
    -Tested at Loch Drummond and the problem seems to be fixed."

What was Your settings?

2. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here is an example what I see sometimes with bloom enabled (build 300 devmode).

[​IMG]

3. Zenon

Zenon Registered

My impressions:

-much better tire smoke, it really looks like smoke now. And there's much less of it, too

-I love the wet road reflections - I guess they need to be specially prepared by a modder, though; on certain tracks like Oran Park there were none, whereas at Poznań they are excellent. They may appear a bit too suddenly, one second the surface is black, the next it reflects trees or buildings. A bit unnatural, but the overall effect is great

- I guess you have done some work to the tyres, the cars feel even better now, for example, the Skippy is a blast in the slides, they're easier to catch/control and feel natural. I could also steer the car in corners (i.e. powerslide its ass through) using the gas pedal more easily. I had a huge smile on my mug driving it.

- The AI is very, very, very good now. The new learnig mode you've added really works miracles with 3rd party tracks; before I was unable to race the AI at the Sunset Valley track as the AI cars would habitually crash into the barrier in the last corner. Now it's poetry, no incidents there at all. I also liked the "real life" element like random engine failures in AI cars. They race clean and race hard, and they don't spear off the road all of the sudden like the do in the 300 build. The only issue is with rain, whenever it starts to rain, however briefly, the AI runs to the pits like scalded cats for a tire change even though the track is hardly damp at all. Tell them to be a bit more patient there please :). Other than that, it is the best AI I have raced against, good job there, ISI!

- the "Press space to skip formation lap" does not seem to work, at least not with every track; also, the pace car goes so slowly it is overtaken by AI cars

- the scene is a bit too dark, with or without various HDR profiles, 3 o'clock in the afternoon looks more like 6-7 pm.

- performance-wise, well, hmmmm......it's generally worse than with the 300 build, especially at Loch Drummond. You see, I really did try hard to like this track, but no. It may be very detailed, true, but it devours my FPS like a zombie cow and it looks really mediocre, especially the tarmac and grass textures make it look like a poor 3rd party conversion from a 2005 racing game. Let's face it, ISI, you suck at tracks :), but when you have perfected rFactor 2 and removed the most irritating bugs the moderrs will hopefully come back and provide the community with more high quality tracks. This build shows you're on the right track, no pun intended :).

4. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh right... I don`t see anything like that Tosch (I`ve certainly never noticed the little purple spots anyway)

I`m talking about these purple blotches:

[​IMG]

I`ve (obviously :p) lightened the screen a lot to enhance the problem and used Ales`s Merlin as it has no cockpit (this shows up the purple better) (There`s nothing wrong with your cockpit Ales, only used it as an eg of the problem)

It`s obviously not as pronounced in a finished car and an unedited screen but these are the purple "blotches" I`ve noticed in cockpits, on tyres, on track surfaces (especially at night) for a long time now in rf2...

My monitor is calibrated and I`ve lowered the Gamma setting on advice from Tuttle. Both of these things did help but did not fix the problem. Seems to be a strange one as some see the purple and others don`t seem to...

5. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I've the same. My monitors are via Win7 assistant calibrated and I`ve lowered the Gamma setting. Monitor driver is installed. I've no Idea what I can additional try to solve this issue. Maybe it has something to do with the selected build in monitor profile or with the windows system colour profile?

6. tjc

tjc Registered

I`ve tried various things too, some have helped as I say but nothing has fixed this problem completely... hopefully it`ll get fixed up with time as, although some people don`t seem to get this problem, we do and so do a few others.

7. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Just let the AI drive around Silverstone in the Corvette.

- Noticeably better performance! With a single car on track the framerate sometimes hits the 100 mark, before it hovered around 80. I should note that this is on maximum in-game visual settings (all reflections, quality shadow blur, 4x MSAA...).
    - Better exposure. Cockpit view looks much better and not as "washed out" as before.
    - Car reflection update rates have improved a lot for me, the reflections in the car's paint are silky smooth now.

Will try more tomorrow. Couldn't get a glimpse on the new tire smoke since the AI didn't want to lock the tires. :)
    Good night gentlemen, 339's looking good so far!

8. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

The real question around graphics updates is whether the excessive AA/jaggies issues from 2005 have finally been addressed? That is, can you now run in multi-sample AA instead of super sample and still have nice looking graphics? Multi-sample should look just barely perceptibly worse, but with much better performance than super-sample. From day 1 of rF1 up to build 300 there has been a massive difference in appearance and only super sample looks comparable to other sims and games from the modern ear (that are using multi-sample).

Who has experience with this in the past and can report?

9. Kev

Kev Registered

Multisample AA is pretty bad still. For me it doing almost nothing (see my report here in the subforum). If you don't mind increased input lag, use supersampling.

10. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Anyone experiencing issues at night with lighting with HDR on or off?

11. Some1

Some1 Registered

AFAIK, this is caused by the texture compression. Only way to fix it, is to fix the mod -- tick the "No compression" checkbox in the material settings in 3DS Max.

12. Magus

Magus Registered

Noticing some fps gain using Nvidia's Sli profile. Everyting pretty much maxed out apart from Road & Environment reflections OFF, Shadow HIGH & Shadow Blurring OPTIMAL. I'm getting a steady 60FPS (although can dip a very little around the pit area within a crowd of AI) in F2 around Silverstone with 23AI with AA= 8, VSYNC=VIDEO, HDR=OFF & FXAA=OFF, 5700x1200 with Multiview. In Build 300 it varies between 40-60 under same conditions.

13. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

anyone already mention that the wipers are working now? Or did they work a long time and i didn´t notice...

edit: another thing, did i have to turn off road and environment reflections? Didn´t understand what people are saying about this.
    Thanks.

edit3: forget about my last question http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16535-Reflections-settings

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  14. SnijdersB

SnijdersB Registered

Been doing a long test session today on a 3rd party track(Essington Park) in the Megane and noticed a improvement of fps, I have an old PC with pretty min. specs and getting a solid 45 / 75 fps on max setting except for AA (x2) all reflections of and no FXAA.
    The other thing was that the grip (imo) is more realistic. The tyres seem to go into a slide easier aka it feels like there is a bit less grip. But I didnt read anything about tyre model or grip level being changed this release or did I just miss something?
    Tried the "ai learning"on the same track and I can confirm that it works like a charm, you can see the ai learnuing the track and at 105% they were (after a long practice session... a restart of the weekend) pretty difficult to beat. So this is a major improvement for all that want to use ai to get better or simply enjoy an offline race.
    These were my 1st impressions of the build... will do more testing later and give an update on my thoughts.

pff sry really started of thinking I'd write a small reply ;)

15. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

How this AI learning thing works? What do I have to do to enable it?

16. SnijdersB

SnijdersB Registered

from build release notes: AI:
    ————————
    Introduced version 1.0 of new AI learning code. When Autocalibrate AI Mode="2" in the playerfile, AIs will run laps in practice trying to optimize their operating parameters on a per corner basis. They create a database (*.wis file...for "wisdom", in the UserData\player\Settings\componentName\VehicleFile directory) with the results & use these results to adjust their parameters on the fly in a race. Because this is the first release, it's not completely full-featured...for best results, during practice, disable fuel usage, tire wear, and mechanical failures, and try to keep out of their way (they will not currently ignore a result because the the AI was held up by another car). Results are stored between games, so you may run a race with fuel usage, tire wear, and mechanical failures once the databases are created

17. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Can we assume that the AI cars will refer to an existing .WIS file if it exists the next time they are loaded in a practice or Q session? In other words, the wisdom keeps accumulating and is used in any/all types of sessions, not just races. Just want to make sure it's not like real road that can reset back to zero every time you go into a session ;)

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Finally had a proper go:

- New Particle System/Effects are fantastic, I noticed no sudden slowdowns in the smoke with shadows as others have reported (Clios at Mores and Meganes at Essington)
    - FPS seemed solid, no major difference from 300, maybe better if anything
    - Cockpit Exposure "Fix" is a huge bonus, thanks for that!
    - Could'nt get the AI Autocalibrate="2" to work correctly, more fiddling required but now no time for a couple of weeks.
    - NO Controller loss (Win 8 64-Bit) as of yet, troubled by this before but as mentioned to Terence already it seems to of fixed istelf with Build 300 recently (there was a Windows Update prior to 8.1 that may of helped). I've seen the other thread regarding this matter so hopefully it's fixed anyway in the next unstable build.
    - No major issues found, only got limited time this week then wont be back on it (future unstable build that is) for over a week.

19. Navigator

Navigator Registered

MarcG; I read that before, but what is it, the particle system?
    I have no idea what to look for :) (I laugh, but it's sad actually) ;)

20. tjc

tjc Registered

There`s a clue in MarcG`s first line Nav...

Particle effects are tyre smoke, grass, dirt, (when on the grass/dirt) rain spray etc.

:)