First impression build 339

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Tosch, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Auto exposure in cockpit view. Check
    -Great improvement. No need to create a second hdr profile anymore.

Missing shadows in TV cam. Check
    -Tested at Loch Drummond and the problem seems to be fixed.

Virtual mirrors in onboard cams. Check
    -Good addition for all hood riders.

Reflection maps set to Off now uses a near-static map. Check
    -Wow. Looks very good and the fps explode.

Camaro has strange reflection. Not fixed yet.
    -Maybe it is related to the mod but in build 298 the reflection looked ok.

Sun occlusion. Check
    -Works again

Conclusion.
    Great build. That's the way to go!

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

A couple of other improvements I noticed

Clio rear window surrounds no longer show through the smoke/spray

F2 windscreen now shows smoke/spray through the glass. :)

3. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

4. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Was going to say the same what Tosch said but I must add that I noticed quite significant fps drop. I used the same settings as I use in b300 and on Loch Drummond I get 20-50 fps now instead of 40,50-70 fps. Sth is eating away some nice fps gains I got from B298 and B300.

Need to pinpoint what's that.

One more thing. Remember Tuttle when we spoke about this dark-purple look on some dark materials and on edges of the shadows? Headlights in pitch black darkness for example. It's gone now with B339. It looks so much better. However I still see some "oil" patches here and there on the track and inside the cockpit. It doesn't stand out so much anymore but it is very noticable on the replays. Like I said I was testing on Loch Drummonds during night (11 PM) and on TV camera I could see "oily" patches in very dark, shadowed places. But like I said this disturbing purple finish to some black elements and headlight beam edges is gone.

Gonna report more when I get the chance to give it another spin.

PS. Smoke from locked wheels seems to be changed? Or is it just me?

5. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

Some significant fps drop on Drummond same here with same settings as b300.
    Running crossfire btw, but I will try to test more and give better feedback.

But I must say, turning off Environment and Road reflection off gave me enormous fps boost, it went from 70 to 220 :D
    And the difference graphically was not that big, I drive with cockpit view and I don't see too much of the reflections.

6. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Ok. This is unbelievable.

More testing with c6r at Loch Drummond and I was amazed. Set time at 6 PM and had everything set to medium, shadow blur on fast, no SO, shadows and special effects set on low and both reflections set on low, no wind and crowd motions. It almost undriveable due to fps. Dancing between 25 and 45.

Then I set everything to absolute max from up to down, shadow blur on quality, shadows and special effects on full/max but both reflections set to off. What I saw just blew me away. 50-70 fps. CONSTANT. With maybe 1-2 split second moments when it was around 30-40 fps and then again 50-70 fps range.

Incredible. What's even more funny. When I set everything like it first was with reflections set to low but this time I had them both off. Guess what, fps around 80-110. But the actual looks were as good as they were with both reflections set on low on B300 which made me smile a bit.

So I'm positive that it's both reflection settings that are killing fps right now. Much much much more than with B300. There it was maybe 20 fps for me on avarage. Now it's 60-70 fps loss on avarage between off and low.

And I must say. The game now looks stunning with everything set to full/max but with both reflections switched off and it runs as good as it used to with much lower settings on build300.

EDIT:
    Now also tested at Silverstone. Same story, reflections kills fps. Still I can say that this build improved performance with reflections off becasue I was able to run around it with everything set on full and shadows and special effects on high and still get 40 fps around pit straight and almost 90 fps on the backstraight! Great job whoever was responsible for this improvement.

Also noticed some tweaks in FFB becasue when I flatspotted my tyres in c6r they were veeeeery noticeable on my wheel (G25). Not too strong, not too weak. Just spot on. Could be just my mind playing tricks on me but I only report what I feel and notice. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
  7. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

Same here with fps drop- from average of 80 down to high 50's, as compared to B300. Once I saw the new smoke effects, that made up for it.
    I'll try dropping the reflection settings as has been mentioned.

Might mention that frame rate isn't glass smooth as in B300, but that may clear up after defragmenting (haven't defragged since new install).

8. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

+1

One thing ive noticed that still present in race when you damage the car, debris parts are still not fixed in pit.

9. Nibo

Nibo Registered

"User Vehicle Data" works and removes dependency of FFB Multiplier on .vmods, thank you! And for the "fcompound, rcompound" in .xml also!

10. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

you are right, smoke/dust effects look beautiful now.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

I am really impressed by the way things look now.
    Lot's of improvements on the GFX.
    The ISI HDR profiles also make sense now. Love the default profile on the new Drummond track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Testing at PBI with Megane.
    Confirmed: The two things which bugged me most are now fixed. No 'cotton-ball' kick-up and smoke is now closer to what it should be.
    Off to test boundary layer during wheel spin.

13. sg333

sg333 Registered

Significant FPS drop for me. Averaging 70's down to mid 30's in same settings/conditions. Visual improvements a nice step though.

14. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Did you read what we wrote?

Just turn both reflections off. :)

Looks are improved and new reflections are taking it's toll. I'm sure it will be better in terms of performance when it's on soon enough. But right now if you need more fps just turn it off. It still looks rather well to say at least.

15. sg333

sg333 Registered

I'll do that for more FPS, but it's still worth letting ISI know that multiple people are experiencing this, so they can look at it :)

Most end users will expect same settings = same performance. In an ideal world an update shouldnt require lowering settings to 'match' the previous build FPS.

16. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

In an ideal, sure.

However when we read build notes we can spot that sth is being done with how reflections work so it is fair to expect that it can be damaging our fps at first. It's ok to report loss of fps, sure. :) I'm sure they will tweak it to make it look as good as they look now when they are on but with less fps loss. I'm sure they are aware of that it is very fps consuming right now.

17. juankyskys

juankyskys Registered

Better rain spray performance, set it in full and could continue driving and showing front and rear cars in cockpit view. Before i had very difficults to set one hdr for several race weathers conditions.

View attachment 10378

Better fraps, but over coast in cockpit definition; there are a lot of changes in fps and become shuttering (amd grapyc card) and road tone it´s so dark in cloudy and rain...

Poor car´s headlights, suppose for earn any fps. I need more car light and less artificial shine lights at car´s chasis:

Headlight ON View attachment 10379

Headlight OFF View attachment 10380

18. Some1

Some1 Registered

I confirm the "oil" patch bug is still there, and related to HDR, I think.

At night during Symmons, you can clearly see the edges around the headlights.

I've added a screenshot to illustrate (I heavily increased the brightness in Photoshop to better show the bug).

View attachment 10381

The same bug is in build 300 as well. The bug disappears, if I set the "black point" to 0.01 in the HDR profile in Dev Mode.

19. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The Symmons Plains hdr profiles have bloom enabled. I believe this is the culprit. I see sometimes pink dots on dark surfaces and I can change this behavior by adjusting the black point.

20. Miro

Miro Registered

FPS are better here.
    Same settings LRP Skippy I gain about 10 FPS (45 build 300 and 55-60 new build). Corvette at Silverstone seems to be same as it was (50 FPS).
    All maxed only movies, wind-crowd off and circuit detail low.

But the thing is, if I turn the reflections of i gain loads of FPS but the game looks like with build 300 if not better.