Really mad at iRacing right now, please empathize with me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattlambertson, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

I would like to create a league when the DW-12 Indycar comes out.

2. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Nice plot twist!

Too funny as well :p

3. Skynet

Skynet Registered

If you know Rfactor1 well then you will know that a lot of the user made content is hit and miss especially the cars, so don't let that sway your opinion on what the Rf1 or RF2 engine is capable of. There are a handfull of guys whom i won't name, that make top quality content, and when they really get going with factor 2 ... holy s@!t it is going to be out of this world. The future is truly bright for rf2 =)

For example..Look at what Reiza Studios did with the RF1 engine, GSC is considered by many to be the best sim out there. You wait and see where this little gem rf2 goes =)

I agree with what you said about the bumps, check out Symmons plains as already has been suggested, I found the megane and the Camero to be good around there. Turning up the forcefeedback a bit in the controller settings improved the feel.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

[MENTION=9775]Skynet[/MENTION]; Please reupload your avatar. I think I broke it a while ago.

5. Skynet

Skynet Registered

Thanks for the heads up. Why'd ya brake it Tim, Because i kept going on and on about Karts? ;)

.....no seriously how are the Karts getting on? :p

6. 88mphTim

I accidentally deleted maybe 30 or so when transferring files last month. I think the delete option when right clicking should be further away from everything else. ;)

AFAIK the body changes brought in (that got squeezed into the Howston release) were primarily for karts. Just not sure if they're done with the code changes to properly do them yet (or properly do them how they want to do them).

7. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Nope, you just drive Indycars, which has one of the worst communities in the history of sim racing.

Hilarious thread though.

8. Radar

Radar Registered

lol rF2 is a POS game.. I did a 6 month trial of iRacing and thought it was a POS. Couldn't see what all the fuss was about to be honest.

9. hoover

hoover Registered

While they don't tweet or use FB just yet, you may get the occasional comment from them in chat which will feel kind of eerie... ;)

Uwe

10. mattlambertson

Well, after spending several hours with rF2 over the past 2 days, here are some thoughts on the sim, both in relation to iRacing and on its own merits. Please understand I have no agenda for or against either sim in these comments.

-Behavior of the cars feel subtle-ly but pleasantly more realistic than iRacing. No pickup truck death wobble on the open wheel cars like we have had for several years on many cars in iRacing due to their new tire model that was primarily designed for NASCAR.

-On a similar note, the open wheel cars actually seem much harder to drive than iRacing's do. I haven't spun so much learning a new car/track combo in years. I'm not sure if that means iRacing's physics are too easy or rF2 is too hard. I suspect the former due to the fact that its so ridiculously easy in iRacing to catch all spins with a bit of throttle/brake. It coulde also be that my tracks on rF2 aren't rubbered up enough yet. The spins seem to happen either getting the power down on low speed corners or braking coming out of a high speed kink.

-Even on a well-modeled track like Croft which was recommended earlier in the thread to compare to iRacing's track modelling, there is simply no comparison to the high-resolution laser scanning techniques that iRacing uses. iRacing just makes you feel like you're in a real place, even if the car physics have many problems. But this lack of in-world immersion from rF2 could partly be due to...

-Many frustrating graphical issues. I have an overclocked 2500k processor and a Radeon 6950 card so I can run the best games PC has to offer at high detail but I seem to be getting fairly poor frame rates and rather too much input lag on rF2. It looks beautiful when everything is working right but there are also some strange graphical anomalies like too many jaggies with high AA, missing skyboxes on some tracks, missing car shadows at night at Joesville, and strange hatched corruption of distant graphics. But I repeat, it looks beautiful when everything is working right, much nicer than iRacing in the lighting and reflection department IMO.

-There is no comparison between iRacing and the fun of being able to run whatever car you want on whatever track you want and customize everything else about the race on rFactor with no pressure to perform. Its a whole different kind of fun than iRacing.

-AI seems more intelligent than rF1 at least on road courses. There don't seem to be many other ovals for rF2 besides Joesville yet anyway.

I'll probably add more thoughts later but I am quite pleased and can tell the sim has many many wonderful potential and I will be returning to it regularly. Can't wait for the Indycar content, and also hope that eventually more painters will get involved and an organized paint library will be set up like on RFC. One of my favorite things is browsing and downloading custom paints and setting up fantasy championships with the AI.

11. 88mphTim

Thanks for the feedback. Regarding what I have quoted above, are you learning these tracks without them being rubbered in? Our tracks are not static, they will rubber in and increase in grip over time, you could be spinning a lot because there is simply not enough grip for you to drive how you expect to be able to, and you'll need to adapt to those conditions as they change. You can simply add some AI and let them rubber it in for you, if you wish.

12. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

[MENTION=1]Tim Wheatley[/MENTION]: He even mentioned in the part you quoted that he realises, and is letting it rubber in (though he wasn't sure if it was enough yet :p )

13. mattlambertson

Yes, I'm also not clear on what the difference between "Green" and "Naturally Progressing" is in the options....does it save the state of the track the last time you were there? Maybe there is a thread somewhere with more details about how this works...

14. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Green means green. No rubber at all on the track and it feels more like a dirty/dusty track at the beggining. Naturally progressing means that whatever progress you made with track conditions during previous session is carried on to the next one. For example the state of the track at the end of practice session will be the same when qualy begins and then you can build up some more rubber on the surface of the track and it carries on to the race if the race session is also set to naturally progressing. However if you set next session to green, all the rubber build up will be wiped out.

About saving the state of the track. You can do it by clicking save real road button while being in the garage. You can then load it up next time you visit that track by choosing that real road save in options when you choose your session settings.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2013
  15. mattlambertson

Ok, I get it now, thanks :)

16. rhamm

rhamm Registered

Your graphics problems are because you have an ATI card. For whatever reason many (but not all) people have had problems with them and rFactor 2.

17. mattlambertson

Well, that's unfortunate.

18. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

There is a 3rd option called "User: AutoSave".

Firstly, regardless of which option you select rfactor 2 makes an autosave of the realroad for the specific track you are on when you click "exit" from a game session.

Selecting "User: AutoSave" loads the realroad from the end of your last session at that track, effectively allowing you to continue building-up track rubber from where you last left off. If you leave it on "User: Autosave" for each of the following sessions at that specific track, you'll be able to build a track that is highly rubbered in from your countless sessions with hundreds or maybe thousands of laps (like tim said, adding AI speeds this process along significantly...you can always remove the AI in a future session or make them invisible in the sessions settings menu).

But be warned, the moment you select any other realroad option for the next session at a track, the autosave will overwrite with the different realroad for that session. So just be aware of this and use the manual save if you want to go green for some particular session.

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

What does POS mean when talking about sims? Acronyms, Piece Of S**t, Parent Over Shoulder and Point Of Sale comes to mind but I'm guessing its none of those.

Last time I drove an Indycar, the year was 1990 and the game was Indianapolis 500 on amiga 500. I'm sure it would be interesting to revisit this series and see how they drive couple decades later. ;)

20. Axeslayer

Axeslayer Registered

I seem to have had the opposite experience always found it quite friendly , depends when you race and who you end up racing with I suppose .
    Be nice when we get some oval racing in rF2 .