Really mad at iRacing right now, please empathize with me

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mattlambertson, Oct 17, 2013.

1. filippu

filippu Registered

On a game they didn't create ? You're naive.

2. Skynet

Skynet Registered

It sounds like you are taking it to heart to much and not dealing with the problem in the best way. Try to think of it this way... If you are a racer that is serious and ultra competitive there is no need to react like this when people try too shoot you down using whatever means they can, take it as a complement because people see you as a threat in one way or another. If you are as good and as well behaved on the track as you say you are then your racing record will reflect that in the long run. And if that guy who made the protest against you is really an a$$hole then in the long run his record and people's impression of him will be something that he will not be able to wash off.

What would Senna, Schumacher, Alonso etc do? Get on with the Job and do it better than before, better than your rival or enemy's. Forget about protesting to Iracing, at the next oppertunity win a world championship or something and make everybody kiss your A%%. Thats the best solution in my opinion.

Oh yeah, welcome to rfactor, a technically better sim than Iracing =)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2013
  3. mattlambertson

mattlambertson Registered

Skynet,
    I'm not Senna, Schumacher or Alonso. Maybe I'm a Barrichello or Webber in my little niche of the sim racing world and even that's a stretch. I just don't have either the talent or the competitive drive or even the time to work even harder and sink even more of my life into the thing just to prove a point. I want sim racing to be fun again and it hasn't been for a very long time. Even on the rare occassions I'm the fastest driver in the series and have a good chance to win a championship race, something always happens to thwart me, someone wrecks me or recently I even got a completely unwarranted black flag for "cutting the course" while leading on an oval which every person in the race agreed was totally undeserved. And of course iRacing doesn't give a damn about such problems with their sim; I even had a race this season where the pace car wouldn't come out of the pits and the entire race was run under caution. So the point is, I'm never going to get to the top, and I don't have anywhere to go but down. This past season my only enjoyment was starting a team and helping less experienced drivers with setups. But that's not worth these personal attacks.

Oh and hi Shaun!

4. Bart S

Bart S Member

Welcome to rF2, this is definatley the future of racing simulation right here, you will be pretty impressed with what it offers in terms of technology already. In a few words this is pure driving/racing bliss. All the main stuff that you want in racing is here and second to none. but....
    Its a pretty slow developing title however, they introduce new features and leave them in a very untidy state and move onto the next thing and many of us feel progress will be much the same within a year as it is now, pretty annoying. It feels like a brand new car with a few dents that has the reliability of a DeLorean, it has a dyno and handle to activate the electrics window mechanism, it has an ejector seat but the roof doesn't open, a satnav with the latest Martian roadmap, rear view mirrors that look at the dents in the body work, graphics made out of retro lego blocks. All the great stuff badly implemented to be frank but thats what rF2 is.

If you find things a little scarce of players online and you want to race others online best thing to do is join a league. I can recommend SR4L www.simracers4life.com we have all skill levels here and run regular league races every sunday evening. It be great to have even more challenging talent at SR4L.

5. gabriel666

gabriel666 Registered

is really true mate, it seems a cult for some iRacers, from my experience
    with a friend for months to come calling iRacers that way,
    as it looks like a cult, if not run in iR (only some iRacers)
    they say ... you have no hands, you play only arcades as rFactor2 and many more stupid words,
    I apologize I do not want to offend anyone
    but I diverge from a couple of friends for that reason
    and it is very frustrating to find people like them

6. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

best thing to remember about iRacing is to stay OFF the forums. Go there only for setups for whatever car/series you are running. Do not engage in conversation unless you are actually part of the "good-ole-boys" club as it will not end well for you. Please note that even their staff people that post there know who the "good-ole-boys" are and will not suspend them for violating forum policy. You cannot have an opinion about any aspect of iRacing unless you are in said club. Best to just race there and that is it :) I race weekly - used to frequent the forums but learned my lesson somewhat quickly - now i just practice - qualify - race in my chosen series. Head to the forum only to get setups or other important information about the series.

7. Dave Thebaptist

Dave Thebaptist Registered

@Matt

welcome to RF2 :)

8. mattlambertson

I loved iRacing because of two things:

The laser-scanned tracks, with all the subtle little elevation changes and bumps that make it feel like you're really on the track, other sims don't have that same feeling even if the car physics are better.

The competition structure with its ability to easily find a race at any time and the ratings and stats to make you feel proud of your accomplishments. But that has worked against me now. I'm a competitive person so I don't really enjoy being bad at racing, but if you're really good on iRacing then people will start hating you, apparently.

9. Miro

Miro Registered

Well this one I am not sure about but you can check that yourself and report back again if you wish.

Try this track

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/2974-Croft-Circuit-UK-v1-0-(last-update-2013-04-10)

and this one

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/16357-Symmons-Plains-Raceway-Beta-v0-9-Released

There are more but those are quite good examples IMO.

10. mattlambertson

I will check that out. I just remember for a time 4 years ago I was going back and forth between driving Laguna Seca in rF1 and iRacing and the iRacing version made the rF1 version seem horribly unrealistic. But that could have partially been because I did not have RealFeel in rF1 and did not know how to tweak my controller settings.

11. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Matt, come back once you've tried ANY car on ANY track and tell us how your jaw dropped to the floor with how the cars physics and ffb felt through the steering wheel.

To put simply...i will be surprised if you are not surprised.

12. mattlambertson

I'm at work right now but I will definitely try it when I get home, I purchased and installed it last night but I was too tired to actually do anything with it.

13. Magzire

Magzire Registered

Getting suspended over that sounds bizarre to me. Alot of money and effort went into your iracing career. How long does it last for?

14. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Try the Formula2 and the FR3.5. Both of these cars are amazing. Also, give the AI a try. I've had some excellent races against the AI at Silverstone in the F2s. Just keep the AI aggression to around 35% and run the AI at 100+, i.e. whatever matches your avg lap.

Doesn't matter how well you do in iRacing, Indy lights or GP3 isn't going to come knocking on the door so I'd focus on maximizing the fun part of sim racing. Also, get out and do some RL track days, will put the sim world into perspective.

15. mattlambertson

The suspension is only 1 week and I wasn't even planning on racing much since next week is their "Week 13" where no official series take place. So its just a slap on the wrist. But its the principle of the thing that makes me so upset.

Like I said to my team last night, Its basically like if I was a guy in a little town who went out of his way to clean up litter and trash everywhere he saw it and some other guy got jealous that I was such a cool dude and reported to the police that he saw a tissue blow out of my car and land on the street and the police decided to fine me for it despite all the good that I had done. First of all, there is nothing wrong with having a tissue blow out of your car, duh. Secondly, all the good he did for the community apparently counts for nothing. I've done nothing but try to help the Indycar community, behave perfectly in races, forgive people who wreck me unintentionally like "X Driver" did last week, file the occasional protest against someone who's terrorizing everyone like "Y Driver", spend my own money to give an incentive for people to join races like I did in Season 1, start my own team to help good drivers get good setups, stand up for people who are being unfairly harassed on the forum, and this is the thanks I get for it?

And oh the money that has gone into my iRacing career. $1100 just on iRacing itself, $600 for a cockpit because I couldn't get my desk sturdy enough, around $1500 for a self-built gaming PC, around $1700 for triple screen 120hz monitors (I discovered early on that I absolutely require 120hz to be on the cutting edge competitively) which I then sold at a big loss because I couldn't find a video card that could run them properly without spending another upwards of $1000 on a new motherboard with multiple 16x PCI slots and multiple video cards. Then another $500 for a single big 120hz monitor. Also, all this was credit card debt rather than actual money because I am poor. Yes, I'm a moron.

16. Miro

Miro Registered

IMO one has to be very careful when comparing some stuff between sims.
    Track wise you have to check a lot of things when doing that. Who did it, when was it done, with what purpose was is done, RL version (year), even GFX settings, hardware, bla bla....

17. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

You have no idea how right you are, it's a religion over there.

As already mentioned the racing steward is very biased to his clique.

18. mattlambertson

Some iRacing members found this thread here and one of them kindly said "Good luck when you realize how poorly optimized that POS game is and you don't get your way there.".

I plan on mainly racing rF2 offline until the DW12 Indycar comes out, so I better be careful that I get my own way with the rF2 AI drivers, I better be nice to them so they don't post abusive messages about me on Twitter and Facebook :)

And I know rF2 is not perfect or complete but then again neither is iRacing, in fact its quite amazing how behind the times and poorly optimized iRacing is in some aspects.

Now if I was leaving iRacing for Project CARS, that would be another story.

19. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

And there perfectly entitled to their opinion...but no point replying to their opinion of it, just try it for yourself and see if your opinion is that their opinion(s) are an outdated POS. :)

However, if you find that you agree with them...well it was nice knowing you and best of luck to you when you return to that POS game in a weeks time. :p

p.s. i've never tried iracing though, lol....yes, i'm being prejudiced. Not that i wouldn't try iracing if i had the opportunity but i don't want to have to fork out some money in order to do so.

20. Axly

Axly Registered

First, welcome! Second, i haven't tried iRacing, so i can't say anything about it, apart from the fact that the online racing solution seems bloody brilliant, and the financing solution seems bloody awful.

That being Said. I had a Long, Long simracing hiatus after our gpl-league shut down, and even though i tried a number of sims over the years, nothing could prepare me for rf2. This game has cost me a lot more than it should (New computer, New Wheel, newer Wheel, triplescreens, a rig...) but it's so worth it. This is what re-ignited the simracing spark for Me!

You seem like an energetic person with plans and ability to arrange stuff. How about creating a League in the future? :)