Why is single seat cars steering unstable in rfactor2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gringhos, Oct 11, 2013.

1. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

All the slow and boring cars are ok, but cheapie wheels can't deal with the faster cars.
    In Australia, it'll cost me about 2k to get a proper wheel/pedals/rig package, and I'm not going to do that for rf2 and have no need to do it for my other sims.

2. Heimdal

Heimdal Registered

I only have a cheapie wheel without ffb and I can now drive all cars. Other than the 'steering wheel range' which I set at 270, I leave the other control settings at default. THEN on EACH car when I have the track loaded I reduce the steering lock in the 'garage' to the minimum (usually reducing from about 30 degrees to around 10 degrees. I then find all cars very driveable and an enjoyable experience.

I had expected reducing the steering lock by this amount that I would have problems on the tighter corners, hairpins etc but i don't. For me it hasn't reduced the amount of lock noticeably, just the rate of steering.. I can still easily without full lock get round the tightest of hairpins, Monaco, Symmons Plain etc.

I will probably upgrade to a ffb wheel in due course but this tweak means I can enjoy all the cars in rFactor2 now.

3. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes it is mostly crap by default, and the more with the G27. Because of this i switched to the T500RS but actually the G27 was mounted and i tested the new cars straight forward with it and i was shocked how crap it is.

4. shim2

shim2 Registered

I don't think anything is wrong with the FFB in open wheelers with a G27. I do think the cars are a bit impossible to drive without assists, especially the Formula ISI.

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm back on T500RS. It's another Level. :)

7. shim2

shim2 Registered

My opinion of course. Compared to RF1, they are by far more difficult. I do miss the quick setup feature as I more less don't know anything about setting up the suspension on an F1 car.

8. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

That must be so much fun...why not just use a gamepad:rolleyes:

9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I don't seem to get this problem with my logitech g27. Maybe particular settings make it worse?
    Try setting overall effects strength to 120% in the logitech profiler (you can make it apply to rF2 only in the specific game settings thing), then start up rF2 and set your car-specific force feedback multiplier to 0.50 for each car you drive.

Try tweaking this setting in your Controller.ini file:
    Steering torque sensitivity (Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high)

Also consider trying the unstable build 339, I think driving feels better but that could just be the placebo effect.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013
  10. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

must be alot of fun to have a 200 quid wheel yet no clue as to how to set it up to make rf2 feel good with it, but obviously its everyone else that has theirs set wrong compared to yours.

11. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

Like awesome comment dude!!
    Read what I say...."SAY MY NAME".....{BB}
    It's the fast cars that are the problem, and I've been dicking around with rf2 for 18months!!!

12. David Turnbull

David Turnbull Registered

its the fast cars i think are the best, the fisi and the f2s feel great with the g25, for "dicking" around for 18 months youd think at some point you might stumble upon settings that work for you, but obviously not its the games fault afterall...

13. shim2

shim2 Registered

I've had rfactor for about 2 months, I've found settings that work on almost every car(defaults works GREAT on most). I don't think the problem is RF2....

14. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

This is proof how differend cars suit differend drivers :) , i cant seem to find a knack to drive that thing, the only one i am able to finish race in is so much less powerfull Spark

15. Domi

Domi Registered

Any idea of what that setting does?

16. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

What are your settings for the Modern F2...?
    That's probably the worst offender....
    I have no complaints with many of the cars....eg, skippys, GT4, 60F2/F3, and Mak Corps latest F3 drives fine, though too grippy for my liking.

17. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

It has been a while since I played with that setting, but I am hoping it is some sort of FFB tweak that multiplies low forces, but without clipping on high loads. I'm going to fiddle and see if it makes a difference.

I'm not sure which one I should edit so I'm doing both of these:
    Userdata/Controller/custom g27.ini
    Userdata/player/Controller.ini

[ Force Feedback ]
    Steering torque sensitivity="?????" // Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high

18. Digi Lauda

Digi Lauda Registered

Chump&Barf,

this setting effects most the middle forces, much less the low and high forces and does nothing to the min and maximum. So at least there should be no clipping from changing this setting.
    It´s a curve like gamma, which you surely know from painting programs, gpu drivers and so on.
    It´s not the solution for FFB deadzones but of course it is worth trying to get a better FFB feeling. The comment only says 0.0/1.0/2.0 but you can also try values in between like 1.2 and so on.
    I would still vote for an option to tune out the FFB deazone and keep linear FFB.

19. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Thanks for the info