CastAR - VR-glasses without blindfold

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Axly, Oct 1, 2013.

1. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

2. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Here is a new video with more in depth explanation of the technology and history of the project :)

@Tim
    Can you comment on this, i.e. if you see merit in supporting this.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

I can't think of any games this would be of benefit to....can you?

Yes it's a very cool effect but it's not stereoscopic 3D.

4. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

Well, its 3d without ghosting so what if it isnt stereoscopic. I would like to have it in every game, including rfactor:)
    here is one using trackir and 3 screens: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBdtPz2V_vY

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I like to see the passion she has for her project :)

6. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

That solution still suffers from the wholly unnatural thing where you need to look away from your screens, in order to rotate the ingame camera. Of course you can set this up to a large extent, but for me that was what made me stop using trackIR.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

But that's also my point, in what games are you going to be moving your head by that amount and constantly (as demonstrated in the video) in order to achieve that sort of 3D illusion (but missing all the stereoscopic 3D depth, which means it's not actually 3D in the same sense)? The moment you stop moving, the illusion stops. In a racing game, my head is going to be pretty much fixed in location so even if i used this technology, i wouldn't be seeing the effect....unless i did the head slide dance move constantly.

It's the same with these...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And you experience this effect every time your move around inside a virtual world (such as driving a car, or walking in a first person shooter) giving your that sense of 3D perspective despite only seeing a sequence of 2D images.

[​IMG]

i found this one quite trippy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  8. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

im not sure how much you have to move your head to have this effect. Would have to try it for myself, but looks interesting.

9. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

3D Head Tracking mit Webcam, Kinect & Stereo

http://fabi.me/dev/3d-head-tracking-webcam-kinect-stereo/

10. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Thank you kimikaze for the link to download and try.

Interestingly, trying it myself the strength of this type of 3D effect is no where near the same as when watching the video demonstration unless you close one eye to make everything you see in the real world appear 2D (or more precisely non stereoscopic 3D as you still have depth focus with a single eye) and then the strength of this 3D effect is identically as strong as seen in the video.

11. kosmo1982

kosmo1982 Registered

exactly , it doesnt look as good in reality as on those youtube videos, pitty

12. Axly

Axly Registered

Pledged goal reached in 20 hours...
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/technicalillusions/castar-the-most-versatile-ar-and-vr-system

I still can't wait to build a "canopy" from this reflective material, put the glasses on, and roll out on the track, still seeing my dashboard, my own arms, my own wheel... and then when I decide that I'll be playing something where I don't need to see anything else, just clip on the VR-thingie, and it's basically a "rift".

(btw, I absolutely love their enthusiasm... and I'm a bit of a nerd, but wow, they're really nerdy :) )

13. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Yeah it definitely skyrocketed!
    We have the same idea ;)

14. elmpine3

elmpine3 Registered

I've joined the kickstarter for this.... I wouldn't be surprised if someone like from FacetrackNOIR would make a Tracker source for castAR.... it'd be really cool if some full HD projectors would be thrown in as a surprize.....but 720p would be enough.

15. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

This would be true, only if the VR headset didn't use a lens between your eye and the screen to change the depth of focus so that your eye's must focus meters away to see the image rather than millimetres. Actually, come to think of it, it wouldn't work without a lens because you can't focus your eyes on a piece of text only millimeters away? The closest i can focus to see some text with complete clarity is about 100mm away, any less and it just blurs.

So as long as there is a well made lens in place, both would feel as natural.

16. Axly

Axly Registered

Old thread, but still as important as ever.

Pre-order shop has been open for a while now :)