Is this out of beta now?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Avigrace, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avigrace

Avigrace Registered

Sorry if this seems a crazy question but looking around the site now I can't see anything that makes it look like this is a beta still. I have not been playing rFactor 2 for the past few months so maybe I missed the fanfare of when it was released properly.

If it is live where am I with the 18 months of online content? I understand that 6 months was going to be for the beta and we'd get 12 when launched but what are we getting for this? I was thinking we would get some sort of iRacing lite stats or something. Where do I tell how much left I have?

This is not meant as a troll thread I am just a little unsure where rFactor is right now, when I do play the game it's very cool. I was expecting more content however, not so much car/tracks etc but being able to set myself up a custom championship and that sort of thing for singleplayer as well as better online integration.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the word "Beta" was removed around Xmas/New Year time from the website (early this year that is), massive farce surrounding it...as most things are in these 'ere parts!

3. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

What would reduce confusion around this is if the launcher would display the expiration date. At the bottom in that text field where it welcomes you would be perfect. Something like:

"Welcome driver, your subscription expires on Jan 1, 2014" OR

"Welcome driver, your subscription expires in 342 days"

4. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

It's "constantly evolving product", as is iracing. So no "proper release" coming.

I believe if you had yearly subscribtion option then your online ends in summer 2014...

No single player championship mode in sight.

It seems we get something new every week now: tracks/cars/updates

It's "ready to be enjoyed"...

Try finding a league, that's how you get the most out of it.

5. Avigrace

Avigrace Registered

That would help for sure but it doesn't answer to me the bigger question of what the online content is? Would I stop getting patches or the ability to download new content they create like the upcoming Honda Civic?

6. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

I'm pretty sure you are just not able to play online anymore...nothing to do with being able to download content.

7. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

As I understood the wording a few months ago when I purchased: after subscription runs out (not a clear time-frame on that yet afaik) then you would NOT have access to online multiplayer, you WOULD be able to download patches but only install manually, and you WOULD still have access to download and run new content (just not online, of course). Unless this has changed recently, that is how I interpreted the yearly subscription model.

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

If you purchased before Jan 2013, you expire Jun 2014, if you purchase after Dec 2012, you expire a year after your purchase. The launcher will begin to warn when appropriate, I will check again that it will do.

9. Avigrace

Avigrace Registered

Thanks for the info

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Also, IIRC correctly you get automated updates with subscription vs. manual update without.

11. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

glad I got the lifetime :)

12. Szabi

Szabi Registered

"Your rFactor2 online subscription will expire on 2014-02-02" awesome.. -.-

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I take it that's correct? So you bought it on the 2nd Feb 2013?

14. coops

coops Banned

yeah its a WIP now not a BETA

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

coops... the last on-topic post was nearly 3 months ago... let's not drag it back up :)

16. Szabi

Szabi Registered

Yes, I bought the rFactor 2 with one year subscription and I get the very early beta acces with one year subscription.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've a feeling it's pretty much going to be staying in this state until a modder or modding team use it for a release
    (Such as GSC2013 -these are going to put their next release on their own engine though ...sadly)

Or a mod team releases a super complete finished/optimised track pack and series etc rf2 could become very popular & mainstream then.

ISI are doing good work though but it's way to slow, I fear so slow that rf2 may slowly disappear into the background even more in the future, there's currently a good range of quality sim cars (ISI are excellent at this),
    but unfinished tracks everything on the track side seems incomplete to me with bugs/things missing etc, even silverstone was released unfinished & has still not been updated (lacks track surface) & fps not good,
    I think track quality is the weakest part of rf2
    (There's a good selection of top quality sim cars & even more coming)

I get the feeling that rf2 isn't a big priority to ISI
    (I know they do many other things)

Some new builds seem like not much progress, some improvements in some areas but other things broken so sometimes 3 steps forward & 2.8 steps back

No disrespect here as I like rf1/rf2 & ISI & this community etc just being honest

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2013
  18. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Back from the future

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, that's cool. I wasn't sure from your post if you felt your expiry date was wrong or something :)

If there's no issue I hope we can let this thread die again. No need to have these 'discussions' about development progress in multiple threads...

20. wobbly

wobbly Registered

Can I ask question please?

As it's now out of beta could I please now ask what I'm actually getting for my annual subscription? Content I download is from modders and I can't for the life of me understand why I have to pay for an online subscription. The servers I play on on are all self funded by racing leagues and communities and the mods come from dedicated modding teams. Therefore, my original question still stands.......what the hell am I paying for?

I can't honestly see what ISI are doing that lends itself to an annual subscription. It seems that the modding community are being relied upon to make this racing sim what it is. It's unpolished, the UI looks like its a throwback to the 80's and everyone is running evening races just to make it look good.

I agree that the physics are good but and to be honest I don't mind the sh**y graphics but what I don't agree with is paying a subscription for not apparent reason (and for those that want to spout drivvel about "you read T&C's, go ram it up yourselves).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.