Released Howston G4 and G6 v1.2 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Minibull

Minibull Member

Tyre wear and fuel usage were set to "normal" and time was set for realtime. The car was the 4th varient of the G6, the one with 590hp.
    I'll try some other tracks and car varients tonight, see whats up.

2. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Tim, I just replicated Minibull's issue. Ran 5 laps at Portugal, tire and fuel to Normal, weather at default (no changes), 9:00 AM, it was 9 AI, I ran the '69 G4 (with the big rear tires). The only other thing I couldn't replicate was 1st place lol. I slid off track on the 2nd corner, ran in 10th about 6 or 7 seconds behind until the end of the 3rd lap when the entire field pitted. I ended up winning the race. There were no cautions, the field didn't slow down at all to that point, nothing that would require a pit. Unfortunately I forgot to set it to save replays, so I can't send that. Hope this helps.

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Thank you guys.

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Tim, regarding early pitting the AI are pitting at the end of lap 4 of a 5 lap race at Nuerburgring.

5. kc2hse

kc2hse Registered

The AI seem to do this at a lot of the tracks with other cars too. They pit as you take the flag for the final lap.

6. Flatspotter

Flatspotter Registered

I don't have any tire sounds at all with either the G4 or G6. I tried spinning out (on purpose for a change), and still no tire sounds.

Other than that, these cars are seriously awesome. We definitely need more historic tracks!

7. Bryan Birtwell

Bryan Birtwell Registered

Done... Historic Fanatics it is!

Thanks Fergy!

Bryan

8. Ice9

Ice9 Registered

I was racing the G6 MKIIIB at Brianza, 15 laps, 19 AI, tires and fuel normal. Time scaling was set to 2x. Weather was at the default setting. On the first or second lap there was a crash with a few of the AI. At the end of the first full yellow lap. The last 15 AI cars entered the pits at the same time in one big line.

9. jamesowen

jamesowen Registered

Had an eight lap race at Lime Rock, and cars all pitted on lap five. Seems to be quite a common bug. Normal tyre wear and fuel usage.

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

FYI - Tim, also pitting early at Toban.

11. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  12. Hectari

Hectari Registered

Tested G4 MkIII '67 at Portugal GT layout, 10AI

Fuel usage, tyre wear and time scale all normal

Races with fewer than 3 laps AI don't pit. Races with 3,4,5 laps the AI pit with 1 lap to go. 10 lap race AI pit at end of lap 7/8.

Riding on board with AI, only on the 5 and 10 lap races the fuel warning appears when they pit in.

Also, setting fuel usage to off stops the AI pitting on all of the above.

Number of stops set to 0 in setup.
    Would it be possible to get the AI to take this into account?
    Maybe they could take a similar amount of total fuel that you set, with a small variance in the split between starting and pit fuel, thus dictating their pit windows being around yours.
    If you fuel for the whole race they would too, if you don't stop they would go the distance on one set of tyres also, or if you do stop they could react to this and change tyres.
    At random some of the cars ahead would dive into the pits because you requested to pit(unless it's for a drive through/stop and go or damage repair), as if the other teams are listening to team radio and copying your strategy(would be great for changing conditions going to wets from slicks or vice versa) or just pitting anyway, then you could always decide to stop a lap or two later to try and undercut them, or be undercut.
    If the AI takes into account your options and actions regarding fuel and tyre usage I think it would add an extra layer of balance to races and simply be more fun to run.

Or does any of this already happen? I've not done any long races with AI yet, but I definitely would if I could set them to adopt a similar strategy to myself.

An option to set the consistency of AI lap times would be good(maybe even as simple as setting strength to vary between 2 percentages instead of only picking 1), also with the option to have opponents more or less proficient with tyre management to match your level.

13. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Could someone give me a pointer... I see that 1967 there was a World Championship for Group 4 Sports Cars (50 sold for homolgation) and a Sports Prototype category Group 6. So as I understand this, the Spyder/Open Top version should be the prototype, and the Coupes are what we would call "GT" today? Yet if you read old race reports it seems the Lolas present were all closed-top and still racing in Prototype category...?

14. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

It is really a mess going through Groups as they were very often changed backwards and forwards.
    As I understand, both Spyder and Coupe were at the same category, Group 4 Sports Cars that had a minimum 50 cars production at the start and 25 minimum when their Group was renamed Group 5.
    Group 6 was for unlimited engine capacity and no minimum production of cars but this changed too as speeds were getting insane.
    Have in mind that things usually changed regarding Groups, due to the availability of existing cars.
    For instance Group 4 dropped minimum production of 50 cars to 25, simply because Lola couldnt have as many.
    At the same time, Group 4 was formed because there were available Lolas that they couldnt compete anymore at CanAm and this was a nice way to keep them racing.

I dont think they can be called GTs, afaik GTs are based in mass produced cars more or less.

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

Thanks for trying, I already guessed it must be a mess ;)

The Group4 and Group6 information on most websites I found make it sounds like "Sports Cars" versus "Sports Prototypes" is like today's GT versus LMP2, but I see that the difference back then wasn't so clearcut.

16. elbo

elbo Registered

g4 has roof elements missing when using a wide field of view (+80)

17. 88mphTim

Do you have this issue with other cars?

18. 88mphTim

The pit issue is confirmed. Thanks guys. Hoping for a quick fix!

These days, we would consider them both "GT" cars really. In the 1960s everything was a prototype. ;) The 'groups' changed so much that it's really hard to figure out, especially if you look outside of the years the car was running. The series specs changing are what actually made the car obsolete in the end.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I believe they became obsolete much before that.
    The moment Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512s joined the races, Lolas with their Chevy engines and 4 speed gearboxes and old chassis and suspension couldnt possibly compete with such state of the art cars.

20. Stephen Bacchus

Stephen Bacchus Registered

Just taken both 1967 cars for a few laps around Silverstone. Ouch these cars really bring you back down to earth and make you appreciate downforce. Like the historic F1 way over powered for the grip on offer. I guess engine development was somewhat faster than mechanical and areo back in those days. Laps times were very close, preferred the open top car as the handling was more to my taste. Did enjoy the way you could drive them on the throttle :)