What does rFactor 2 have for cheat protection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Sep 24, 2013.

1. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Whats up? Share please.

2. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

If there is cheating going on, please give us clues to recognise it, this is serious.

3. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

lol

5. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Next time you have nothing to say just swallow your smart comment please.

6. Jamie Shorting

lol, yep, play with fear and paranoia, sounds fun. You do know this is exactly how rumours are started right? Just one or two guys blurting out stuff without even thinking. You can let it ruin your enjoyment for all I care over rumour, doesn't bother me any. dem damn cheaters!!! :p

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'm surprised that no cheat protection has been developed. They are out there- if others want to live in a lala land and pretend no one cheats, that's fine but I'd like to live in the real world where losers need to win so bad they will cheat to do it. It's not always easy to spot as the best cheaters are subtle and use cheating to provide an edge. In Race 07 I could watch a telemetry program I had on another laptop and when watching someone else do laps, it'd act funny and record data out of range if that person was cheating. But in rF2 there's nothing like that.

Something I could run alongside my server would be great.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

What can I say, I watched Salem......... lol

I think cheating is as serious as you make it.

Leagues should be able to get a grip on this themselves.

Doesn't iracing have cheats ? it is the holy grail of online, would not be too worried about our insignificant rF2 then . ( <<< sarcasm)

lol ;)

9. Jamie Shorting

This. No proof anywhere in this thread, just paranoia.

Yes I've seen cheating in other software but that is expected when rating equals the size of your epeen in their online community. :p

10. Jamie Shorting

Trying to stir the pot? Didn't read Tims two posts in this thread? :confused:

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You don't help yourself in avoiding cheating by telling everyone how you're detecting it. No point in these discussions at all I'm afraid.

IMO the most important thing to say from a product point of view is there probably is / will be some cheating, and it's true for every product out there. You can spend all your time worrying/complaining about it or just accept it and move on. And yeah, try to avoid the mentality of assuming a faster driver is cheating (saw it myself in rF1, first the people just faster than me suggesting the fast guys were cheating, then some months later those same [group of] people were suggesting I was cheating because I was now among the fast guys. Some people don't get that targeted work and analysis can actually make you improve, and they just keep turning up and doing the same thing and assume those faster are cheating... can't help them really)

Organised leagues have more options in developing their own tools, but again there's no point suggesting what can be done or sharing how a particular tool does its thing... that's just inviting people to try something else. Two things you can also do to reduce the chance of people cheating: avoid substantial prizes for winning (difficult for large high profile competitions, because you can't price fame) and make people more accountable so that they know if they ever do get caught it's not just a matter of making a new name and starting again.

If you enjoy the racing then if the other guy's cheating it doesn't really matter. If you want 100% no cheating then try LAN parties on controlled hardware, but find a host you can trust...

12. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

When you write: "Nobody sayd there was cheating" and then: "They are out there- if others want to live in a lala land and pretend no one cheats, that's fine but I'd like to live in the real world where losers need to win so bad they will cheat to do it" you are saying that somebody is cheating and with this: "Something I could run alongside my server would be great" you are targeting fastest and the best drivers in your league and I don`t think it is fair, don`t claim if you are not 100% sure and when/if you are PM ISI don`t do it here in forums.

I am going to log in to your web site and look who is racing there just to find out if Stirling Moss was right when he sayd: "There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well, drive and make love."

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Are you saying I'm not a man?

14. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I am innocent it is Stirling Moss not me :rolleyes:

15. stonec

stonec Registered

FSR leage has developed cheat protection software for rF2 but it requires users to run the tool and submit logs, much like rFscan for rF1. During this year I have not seen a single cheater in or league (with rF1 there was always at least one per season). So I would say you concern is unnecessary, there seems to be no tools at moment developed for cheating in rF2. Those toolmakers rather focus on more popular platforms such as AC.

16. Jamie Shorting

Have to admit OP was successful in fear mongering. Nobody has seen cheating but it's out there and it's a serious problem. Yep, sounds logical. Good luck fellas on your witch hunt. Maybe you'll be successful as well and scare away a few of your team/league members. :D

17. Phatboy

Phatboy Registered

This phenomenon occurs at the real track as well. "The fast teams must be cheating." It usually comes from teams that are not competitive and don't account for the endless hours of preparation, setup skill, investment and driver skill that go into having a top car at the track. Someone always sets the bar, the others need to "step your game up."

18. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

How do you explain that I won several Skip Barber races, smart guy?

19. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

In rf2 specifically no one is saying there are cheats. In other games- even in other sim racing gsmes- cheaters are out there. It stands to reason that at some point (maybe even currently) there will be cheating in rf2, I don't know. Though your anecdote is good hear, it'd still be good to have a utility to run on servers if for no other reason than to address possible concerns by people in the group.

Talking about cheating is not fear mongering, it doesn't promote cheating and it doesn't make people live in fear or paranoia. It's just addressing an issue that has affected other racing sims in the past. The answer to the OP is that ISI has built in tools but there are no 3rd party utilities. All past racing sims have had built in cheat protection as well, i hope 3rd party tools are developed.