[Build 300] Wheel brake with 100% clutch when changing to a low gear

Discussion in 'Technical Archives' started by Joakim L. Christiansen, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Joakim L. Christiansen

Joakim L. Christiansen Registered

In a real car you can change the gear and nothing will slow down or speed up the wheels before you release the clutch.

In the game you currently can not!
    The bug is noticeable when you have a high speed and change to a low gear, without ever releasing the clutch it still brakes the wheels for some reason. And I have checked that the clutch was at 100%, so this should not happen!

This makes realistic driving impossible and is annoying since it has made my car (BT20) spin out of control several times.

2. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

Double de-clutch and you can get around the problem... and be realistic ;)

3. Joakim L. Christiansen

Is the norm here getting around bugs instead of them being fixed?
    This bug has been reported a year ago (not by me) and just been archived with no action taken... I find that sad.

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

The effect is perhaps overdone but not too unrealistic. Disengaging the clutch does not stop the gearbox spinning, when you downshift you still have to match the gears. As an example, if I drive my car at 70mph in top and dip the clutch pedal all I have done is disconnect the engine from the gearbox. The clutch disc and all the gears/shafts in the gearbox are still spinning. If I then try to stuff in in 3rd the synchros have to alter the speeds of the gears so they can mesh. This resistance can be felt and if you shove it straight in the load on the drive train can be quite high for a moment.

Double clutching or double de-clutching is a normal method to get around this problem. In real life I doubt that the gear would select and there would be resistance felt at the gear lever. We can't simulate that without an ffb gearshift. So the sim lets the gear go in and the result is what you experience.
    A gear lever is analogue and the next gear down can be introduced 'gradually' allowing the synchros to catch up. With our controllers it is a switch and instant.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  5. Joakim L. Christiansen

Okay, seems like you have a better understanding than me of the inner workings there! :) Thanks for your explanation! In my head I for some reason thought that the clutch somehow disconnected the drive shaft, I guess I didn't put enough thoughts to it...

But does people in here feel that the effect is exaggerated? I was seeing the effect over and over again by just holding the clutch and gearing from first to second and vice versa, it felt kinda weird, but it is true that I haven't tried such stupidity in a real car yet.