Crazy Idea for a conceptual Fictional Formula Series Mod

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by William David Marsh, Aug 26, 2013.

1. William David Marsh

William David Marsh Registered

I was reading Jalopnik's latest article on the "Golden Age of Formula One", and I read this comment about an idea for Formula One, and it was a truly interesting idea: Take away the "Spec Series" aspect of it, invite more constructors, and have them bring variety in the series. Imagine there was a limit, maybe like 700 HP, there could be some interesting engine types.
    Imagine:

-Mazda arrives, a newcomer, but able to unleash the power of a 4-rotor engine, trying to expand on the 787B's success, and bring it into the 21st century.

-Chevrolet decides to try to bring brute power to the cars, with an all-American V8, providing BEASTLY torque!

-Ferrari, deciding to use a package similar to the 90's, brings out a V12, with a roaring sound.

-Renault Pairs up with Nissan (Infiniti) to bring the twin turbo V6

-Porsche, hot off the 918 Spyder Concept car, decides to try to break into the Formula world, with a Flat Six and Electric Hybrid

-BMW returns, with a Naturally Aspired V10 engine

-HSV (Honda Sports Velocity) brings the V8 from the HSV-010 GT, and slaps a twin turbo on it

These all would be very interesting approaches, and then would integrate new strategy, regarding weight, torque, gas mileage, etc.

My idea is to maybe use the FISI 2012 mod as a base, and utilize that and try to get permission from other devs for some of the assets, like the sounds and specs.

Would someone be interested in a series like this?

2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I once thought of a idea about rF online management where players would MOD their own cars, and these would be raced against each other in full AI championship. Obviously, not that easy.

I like this idea of yours, there is something similar.

3. DaniloJF

DaniloJF Registered

I think you are dreaming too much, but you still can try and do it

4. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

this already exist, they call F1
    ps: except for maldonado

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2013
  5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Since safety is not an issue wit online racing, I'd like to see an inter-modding team formula mod where the dimensions of the car are set, min weight, min fuel consumption- but that's it. The car can have whatever torque, HP and downforce levels- wings or ground effect-whatever. It just has to be driveable by the mod team's 2 factory drivers. This would be an unlimited formula where safety is not an issue.

6. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

The problem with that is that you just plug 1002437854 lbs of downforce and 465468764 HP into a file and call it a day. This type of setup only really works in real life where the fuel flow rate actually affects the HP figures in a direct way. I doubt it does in the sim. You'd have to impose more regulations.

It could be done on a power points type system, where you have some kind of algorithm that takes Mechanical grip, aero grip, HP, Torque, weight, braking and fuel consumption all into account to come up with a final rating/score. Kind of like the GT5/FM4 points system. That gives the designers flexibility in the design, and where to 'spend the points' so to speak, and still keeps a realistic and level playing field. Also maybe using a spec tire could help.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The thing about a series like the one I suggested is that it makes the limiting factor the driver. With that much df and HP could anyone actually drive the car?