What the hell are you doing..??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ForthRight, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I'm curious as to what everyone is playing these days, and more specifically why.

There's a thread about rFactor 2 and how you feel about it 18 months down the line, which is a justified question, but I also see a lot of negativity in that thread (more than I would have expected anyway). I'm guessing most people here own the sim, so if you're making posts which appear to express a negative opinion I assume you're just waiting for the whole thing to get 'better' (or you're hoping it will at least).

So my question is - if you're not playing rFactor 2 for your sim racing fix, what are you playing? And why do you consider it the better choice at this particular time?

rFactor 2 is far from perfect, but for me it's still the best sim available right now - the physics are either equal to or better than anything else out there. That's always been the most important element for me, but there are plenty of other 'features' which can influence what you drive.

I suppose it depends on what you want from a sim. Personally I need changable weather, so that instantly cancels out pretty much every other modern sim we have... how depressing is that? Another feature which became very important (once I drove a sim which included it) is 'Real Road' technology - i'm sure this is a nightmare to implement, but it adds so much depth to a sim that it almost feels empty when you drive something without it.

iRacing intrigues me but I can't justify the cost, plus I prefer to at least have the option of fully offline racing. Wet weather is apparently on their 'to do' list (they recently added an overcast sky) but anyone can say anything is "coming in the future" - the future can be a million miles away.

I thought the Assetto Corsa tech demo was very impressive, but I think we need an actual race car to properly judge the physics, or a good old open-wheeler. That's another problem for me - I mainly only drive open-wheel cars, so sims such as RHE (Raceroom Hotlap Experience) don't really hold any appeal. Of course there's no wet weather in that sim right now, no night time racing and currently no racing against the AI. I remember saying the same thing six months ago, so we've come a long way. I do envy their circuit content - I wish rFactor 2 had half of those tracks, but you can have all circuits in the world - they're not much use if you've got no reason to drive on them.

Assetto Corsa will have rain in the future (that's the 'future' after the future when it actually comes out), and I believe it will be excellent, but it's not going to happen anytime soon (and that's an understatement).

I guess that's what I'm saying (in a nutshell)... yes there are some great sims scraping around trying to work out how they're ever going to get 'finished', and there are even more great features planned for those sims, but personally I have to look at the here and now - what sim is available right now which already has all the features I'm looking for?

And for me there's only one answer - rFactor 2. Yes it badly needs to sort out it's LOD's and shadows (especially in replays), and the wet weather visuals could still use some work, and the menu interface could do with some HD modernization, and the in-game performance "would still like to meet" some hot new optimisation, and the multi-player servers could do with some actual players (consider myself concerned), yet despite all these flaws I still believe there's nothing better to drive. What rFactor 2 does well it does very well, and that's why (at this particular time) I really can't see myself driving anything else.

How about you?

What is your current main sim - the one you drive most often - and why?

2. PaulG

PaulG Registered

rFactor 2 the most. But the Power and Glory 3.0 mod is terrific and so is Gamestock Car 2012 (although 2013 should be releasing soon if history is an indicator). Those are my top three in the physics department (IE I feel like I have wheels under me). Assetto Corsa should be great, but I've stopped anticipating and will just play when it ever comes out.

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

RF2 is my main and currently only Sim I bother with (and actually has been for 18months with flirts elsewhere), racing against the AI now 100% of the time.

4. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

rfactor 2.....because nothing compares to it at the raw core feeling and handling of the cars in my hands. In comparison, it's like your wearing inch thick gloves on other games/sims (that i've played), no detailed feeling, where as it's all there in rf2 which really brings to life. This is number one priority for me, everything else (e.g. real-road, etc) is really just a bonus to me.

5. Miro

Miro Registered

Summer time! Playing some flight simulations outdoor :p

(That's not me, the pilot is just a co-worker, just wanted to show the passenger and his reaction ;). This dude was one hour after the flight still smiling and smiling )

No seriously, the last few months if anything then rF2.

"'Real Road' technology - i'm sure this is a nightmare to implement, but it adds so much depth to a sim that it almost feels empty when you drive something without it."

exactly this and some other outstanding rF2 features.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Rfactor 2 is the only Sim i drive, as all others i ve tried feel funny and silly and pointless next to rF2, i find concerning how massive chunk of community only suggests to improve graphics, graphics, graphics... I Love rF2 graphics, it only matters on the quality of the content, i would be happy even to see some of the ISI early stuff to be reworked, but otherwise that is it

My main concern is content, which currently is "Road course circuit" only, and also i have read something about collisions not good enough for the best leagues to come to rF2, UI needs to be imporeved (from the Q&A its already WIP) and that is the end of the list

Lets race...

7. Jos

Jos Registered

Power and Glory 3.0

8. NWDogg

NWDogg Registered

Well said. For me, the most important aspect of a sim is the force feedback. If that doesn't feel right, then everything else in the sim doesn't matter. If the ffb feels good, then the physics need to feel right. After the physics comes the content, then the 'features' (like wet weather, realroad, night racing, championships, etc...). Finally, I'll look at the graphics, which is really the least important thing to me.

All those factors together led me away from iRacing's ridiculously overpriced sim right into rFactor 2. I can't drive *any* other racing games anymore, because rF2 just trumps them in every way possible. Tried to play R3E, and it doesn't feel right. Wanted to like NASCAR the Game 2013, but the literal lack of ffb and weird physics makes that impossible. Tried nk pro, and because of that experience I'm staying away from AC. Simraceway looked ok, but I never could get it to install properly, so gave up on it. I believe those are about the only choices I have besides rF2, so it's an amazingly simple decision really. Once we get more diverse content here, I'll have zero reasons to look elsewhere.

9. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

I play Euro Truck Simulator 2

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Apart from two or three brief encounters with the AC demo, I`ve driven nothing but rf2 since I joined up... (b85)

It has it`s flaws but they`ll all be ironed out with time. Even as it is, it`s a really good drive, I just don`t get enough time to dedicate to online sessions so usually pit my skills (loose description :p) against the AI.

:)

11. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

rf2 and rf2!

12. sg333

sg333 Registered

RF2 offline, iracing online. The RF2 online experience doesnt match up to that of iracing; voice chat, simplicity, UI... These could be easily implemented or improved, but until they are I'll stick to iracing for multiplayer.

13. Paddler

Paddler Registered

Thanks for your post! For me its rf2 all the way. Its incredibly good!! My only concern is ffb with my G27. Physics are awesome. So,is weather and real road.

14. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

This is the first time I heard someone reasoning like this. :rolleyes:

15. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Been playing a bit of Arma 3 lately, ive not a clue what im doing though :p

OT Just noticed the Camaro threads not stickied no more, Howston inbound maybe ? :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2013
  16. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Cities XL 2012 with mods galore.

rF2 just isn't complete enough for me to get too deeply involved in it right now, plus I'm disappointed with the performance. With time I'm sure it will be great but for now its the odd half an hour once a week.

17. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Rf2, other Sims without realroad feel just like the op says-empty. I've stopped all gmotor2 games and older stuff. I also require weather, it is a basic requirement for me to play a racing game. So the only choice is rf2. Mostly I race online-either the BES mod or gp79 though sometimes I do rave offline even though the AI right now is terrible. I know it'll get better though

18. DEK

DEK Registered

Rf1 Caterham, Bes, Enduracers Rf2 Bes, Gt's, sometimes the Skippy to resense :)

19. tjc

tjc Registered

Sorry for continuing the OT here but hasn`t the "Getting Started" thread been un-stickied as well but also seems to have disappeared?

:confused:

20. PetraGTC

PetraGTC Registered

rF2 only, although not racing :) BES modding. Apart from rF2, i spend some time with Dragon's Dogma and Ghost Recon on my PS3.