What's with the Brabham?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

You can't compare the old layout with the new layout. In the film, the onboard lap has a much higher camera view which makes the circuit look much more narrow than it is. But if you drive the old layout, it is not much wider (if at all) than the track really was. The embankments on the sides of the road are very different, but that does not affect the driving.

EDIT: I just did a lap at the VLM version it seems that they mix up the old and new circuits int eh VLM version. Maybe in the video they just use a different layout, but I see where the old circuit in the video takes a right to the short version and has no chicane at Six Freres.

I'm talking about the VLM version.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  2. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

No, the VLM version is much wider than the track was in the 60s.

The VLM video actually makes it's own layout look narrower compared to the actual footage because the VLM video is shot using a very high FOV compared to the video itself (which is probably using a standard camera FOV, at least it looks reasonable).

Height doesn't make much difference when looking at stuff in the distance, only really close stuff.

I am not sure when the roads were widened but they certainly not before 72 when they stopped racing the Gresil layout.

I mean look at the back straight after Gresil for a start, that is clearly based on the modern road layout there. It is now a huge multi-carriageway with centre separation where as before it was a 3 lane road!.

The big motorway bridge that they go under didn't even exist!

Maybe the VLM version was built for the 90s and maybe all those changes had happened by then (i don't know - maybe they are even more recent), but certainly in the 60s and 70s, the VLM version is incorrect. The Gresil layout especially is pure fantasy.
    It's like they retrofitted the old layout onto the newly widened and added roads!

Edit, just saw yours - no, they use the same layout in both videos.

This video also sums up just how narrow it was, and bear in mind for the grids, the pit straight is quite a bit wider than the main circuit (and with an extra lane of "apron").
    (skip to 6:40 for Rouen).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
  3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

2tyred's correct. It's funny to think that GPL may have had the best version out of all games, hahaha.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

The Rouen in Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends is pretty good from what I see above. It is kind of wide, but the layout is true to the shortened layout without the Six Freres chicane. I still love the VLM version despite the inaccuracies but I hope this excellent circuit comes out for rF2 in a more accurate form. I've done a lot of awesome races at VLM Rouen in rF1, GTL and Race 07 and when I saw those pics www.forum-auto.com when they were demolishing the circuit I felt like I was losing a friend :(

View attachment 9506

6. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

I've only done the GLP version so I can't comment on the other sim versions. Maybe they are too wide. But I've looked at most of the linked videos and I don't see where the old track was that narrow.

Seems like I'm not alone in wishing we had this great old circuit to race on. Pleeeeease ISI!!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2013
  7. MrMaverick

MrMaverick Registered

Are the front tyres on the brabham going to be redone and have a lower profile?

8. Minibull

Minibull Member

IIRC, Tim posted a wee while back in this thread, and he said he had passed it onto the car devs to look at. If I'm wrong, he'll correct me, I'm sure.