What's with the Brabham?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

IndyCar don't license tracks though unless you license the IndyCar Series. And they're not so "desperate". :) They were licensed to SimRaceWay, though I don't know what that situation is now...

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Absolutely NOT. League edition is exactly that - a league edition that some private league may run. Where's the fun in running all cars in the exact same gameplay if they all look different? A mod should strive to emulate the real life series it is portraying, meaning different cars will handle differently unless it's a same spec series mod. rFactor 1 was littered with early 90s F1 mods that were league edition only, there was absolutely no fun in that.

3. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I'm not sure I fully understand the league edition concept, but if someone built out a fictional 60s F1 grid with cars that drove well and were evenly-matched over a championship where some cars had advantages on some tracks and others had advantages on other tracks and some possibly suited one driving style over another or one, like the Brab had better gas mileage for long races, etc. etc. etc. I think that would be amazing.

4. speed1

speed1 Banned

Oh no that will be boring and a bit sensless. It was not a big diff between the use of one model with diff paints to add diff models with equal performance. The diff performance occurs automatically with each driver and setup by itself. So one model would do the trick.

Yes it should emulate the real portray, but i'm still not sure if the complete grid would be in mixed use.

What ever the guys will do, me is happy they do.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  5. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

A lot of competitive leagues I've seen use a model where the fastest guys can choose from only certain cars, and the slowest get the selection of the easiest to drive or the fastest. Using GPL as an example, the very best guys can run a Cooper or BRM, while the last placed few in the prior season get to pick from Brabham, Eagle, Lotus. Does it make sense?

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

Yes it does, if there is real interest, why not.

7. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Best league I was in for GPL gave out a certain amount of spots in each car. But there was also a wide array of skill as well. It ended up that the faster guys would choose the slower cars, and the slower guys would choose the fast ones. You ALWAYS had someone to compete against though, there was always a rival. You might not be in with a chance of a championship, but you were always trying to beat 'that guy'.

8. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Exactly, it doesn't have to be about winning it all. The main thing is fun, and having a challenge - especially something attainable - definitely provides that. In GPL it was cool that whoever had a Lotus had to worry even more about the thing blowing up, the unreliability was present, but nobody ever felt cheated.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

Sounds good... :)

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

Agree there is always something to compete against and sometimes it's the car :)

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Man, Rouen is one that I really would like to see. I just fell in love with it in GPL. Had the joy of driving the old circuit IRL a couple of years ago. Brought joy and sadness at the same time.

The best I can tell from some web research is that some team did an rF1 version. (Sorry, I never left GPL until rF2!) I've PM'd one of the guys on that team (in France) to see if there might be any way to do a conversion but got no reply. :(

12. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

If it is the conversion I think it is, it was not a worthy (or approved ;)) situation and was not taken very nicely from the GPL scene.
    http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=5863
    posts #12, #13

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Rouen is in Race 07, rF1, GTL, GPL, Ferrari Racing Legends and others. It was an awesome track and I can't wait for VLM to convert (at least I hope they do!)

14. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Wow that's quite an exchange regarding "legality" of conversions. I don't want to steer this forum down that path but I will note that the forum topic you reference says in the 1st post that "Rouen by Virtua LM is a masterpiece". I'm having trouble remembering who I contacted but I believe the version I uncovered in my search was that one. Virtua LM seems pretty well respected in this forum so I'd guess they didn't step on any toes.

15. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Ah, yes. The old "I may suck, but at least I'm better than that guy." I know that consolation prize well. LOL

16. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

AFAIK VLM does everything from scratch.
    Rouen for RFactor is a conversion of their own Rouen for F1C, which was made by them from scratch too.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Which has virtually identical terrain, corners and camber to GPL.

But apparently its measurements were sourced elsewhere ............yet GPL is not correct either.

I am not being silly, do a lap in GPL with HiReS Rouen then do F1C VLM , they are virtual mirror, concentrate on the road.

Wait a while to compare rF2 Rouen with pCARS version .........against all others.

It is plain in the case of old Spa pCARS looks more like GPL style but very different road and rF2 version looks like nothing ever done before.

Pity developers can't even agree on what is authentic.

For mine rF2 has it closest ( watching much utube incar ) by a mile and if they do then pCARS versions is fantasy, so is GPL and everything else.

That Ferrari Legends silverstone is a joke.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013
  18. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I have done all historic Spa everywhere as it is my favourite ever, and all I can say is that ISI version is the most complete and most convincing interprentation, a true classic and one of the best achievements Ive ever seen in track making (spare Targa of course :eek:)

19. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

The VirtuaLM version of Rouen seems just as inaccurate as any of the other versions. It seems like they have either based it off of the gpl version, or the modern day road widths.

Today, the rouen roads have got much wider and also the layout has changed a lot.

I mean look, compare this:

with this:

The differences are clear. Also pay attention to the external footage and stuff from other years too. You can barely get 2 open wheelers wide safely on most of the circuit!

The pCars version is even worse though, it is ridiculously wide and just makes a mockery of it really. I get the impression they don't care about historical circuit accuracy that much / at all really.

I would very much like to see an ISI version, considering that they seem to have done a good job with their research on spa, monaco and monza and i've been impressed with the results.

All these conversions from gpl or other old, very inaccurate versions of circuits are a bit sad really. Modders only seem to care about bringing them "graphically up to date" rather than worrying about inaccuracies.
    I know historic circuit making is very much a dark art, but for that very reason, sometimes it is best to just "start again" particularly as a lot of circuits we have already are very wrong. Even ones that modders have made for gpl - look at the hairpins at Opatija (preluk) for example. I think that is down to gpl engine limitations though - but when it was converted to rfactor, it was never corrected!

In terms of spa, the rf2 version is by far the best there is at the moment. The gpl community are still working on a more accurate one for gpl and hopefully that should be released this year. Then that will be an interesting comparison to make indeed... !

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Completely agree with everything.