What's with the Brabham?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minibull, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

What are your thoughts on having fictional representations of Lotus and Ferrari (and any other licences that can't be easily had).
    This worked very well for GPL and I don't see why it would be an issue, but so far i have not seen it mentioned, which would imply a slight reluctance?

The only other fictional 60s content I have seen is the Tecno and Matra, but from what I have read (correct me if I'm wrong), the reason those were made is that you were in the process of licensing them anyway.

A full field really does make all the difference in terms of variety and character of the cars, each with their own individual strengths and subtleties. You can see this in GPL itself, which is one thing that really makes it shine.

More tracks from the era would be a godsend as others have said.
    You don't get flowing, natural tracks like that nowadays, and with the tracks so far it has impressed me with the detail and accuracy that has been attempted.

In terms of licensing old circuits, could you basically include tracks like Rouen and others that no longer exist (especially street circuits) for free, as they were based on public roads anyway and don't exist anymore either.

Even if you couldn't, again, surely a name change would do the trick :)

Old circuits are just so much better than their modern sterile counterparts - even ones where the changes are just run-off and surrounding atmosphere!

Crumbs a 60s Imola would be amazing:

If you want to make Kyalami, the circuit was widened in 68. There is footage that someone found pre 68, on youtube from a spanish broadcast, but I think it got deleted. It does prove that there is some available though.

2. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

As others have said, modern F1 cars definitely develop from race to race.

One big difference is modern F1 teams start the season with a new car, at least the top ones, while in the 1960s, it wasn't unusual to introduce a new car part way through the season.

3. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

F1 teams definitely develop their cars throughout the season. Follow ScarbsF1, he goes through a variety of these changes before every event. Some of this stuff is quite substantial, too.

Lotus 49 being introduced at Zandvoort, for instance. Very common back then for sure.

4. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

Double-post removed, sorry

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Verbal agreements (email) which were not reconfirmed when it came time to do so. I try to get a signature for everything now. Lola is the same, I had a verbal, but the contact is no longer there (they went belly up). Though I am still trying to get it from those who can now give permission.

As far as generics of the other cars, it's possible. But the work required to do the job isn't small... They're so similar in many ways that the average user won't get anything from them, only guys like you and me.

6. speed1

speed1 Banned

I'm not sure if it is worth the effort to fill up a grid with different models from the same era. Nobody would sit in a lesser performant car than the leader model. On the end the most cars will keep staying in the garage while the best one is driven by everybody. The best one from diff eras was a better choice imho.

7. killerwatt

killerwatt Registered

Did you notice the safety measures in that video? Each tree had a hay bale propped up against it! :eek:

8. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

GPL from the start was a sim focused on historic racing with its own audience.

RF and RF2 are racing sims focused in modern era.
    Having historic racers and tracks in RF2 is a welcome bonus for you and me and a lot of others, but dont get fooled that the majority of RF2's audience is into that.

9. 88mphTim

Fewer would, but they do. My first online Web site (which became RSC) was called Honda Homepage, as I drove the Murasama in GPL. Mainly because I enjoyed beating those who were driving Lotus' at Monza.

10. speed1

speed1 Banned

How you cheat there ?:D Ok may aliens do but the majority wan't. But i see it could be funny and challenging. On the other side me is challenging enough to ride the best car from that era, even then i'm going to die virtually for multible times.

11. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

:D
    It was a fine car though with proper sound and more than proper cockpit.
    I prefered the Eagle with its screaming, overreving engine.

Yes, full grid is a big thing, are you ISI people thinking of filling it?

12. 88mphTim

As before, just one other signed, which is the Eagle Mk1 (T1G). And I licensed from Climax for the engine not included in that license as well. We can build the 1966 Climax, 1967 Weslake, then 1968 with the downplanes, etc just of that car. I have a price from Lotus which we probably can't do. I have a price from Cooper, BRM, which are OK. And Honda I am working on. Brabham we have the option of another car from the pre-Bernie era.

McLaren I didn't bother for 1960's. Ferrari are well out of range. Matra is a no it seems, while Tyrrell (for the Matra) are out of range as well (his son runs a business licensing).

13. 2tyred

2tyred Registered

What about fantasy representations of unobtainable licences though?

14. 88mphTim

As I said above, it's not impossible, but the time required to build one fantasty car so outwardly close to another, it stops being worthwhile. It worked for GPL because they were representing a season, and had driver names, etc, licensed past what we'll be able to.

15. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Do you need a license for a temporary street track run on public roads? say for example the streets of Baltimore? St Petersburg is ruin partially on an airport so I assume that'd be complicated. But especially with the Indy content I'd think some of these courses would be free- Detroit, Phoenix are two others that spring to mind.

Or do you need to license even these?

16. 88mphTim

It depends on a few things. For example, Bathurst, as a name, is not the property of anyone but that town. Mount Panorama, the name, is. You wouldn't need to license Detroit, Phoenix, no. But if you called it Detroit Grand Prix I don't know what possibilities there might be for either the promoter or FOM to have issue.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I agree with 2tyred. Some people only like to choose the fastest cars but a lot like to choose different cars for a variety of reasons: personal team preference, how it handles (like picking a Cooper or Brabham over the Lotus 49), or the challenge of beating the faster cars based on pure talent.

Best from different eras doesn't do much because the newer era will trounce the prior era. It also would cause a lot of boring, one-make series with empty servers online. A mixed, realistic grid would allow for more racers running in the same series, which would provide great mixed driving as well as less empty servers.

Tim's point about the licenses is understandable, since rF2 is not a one-season simulation. But it's important to notice he's working on at least a few cars of the same time period which would provide us with something similar to what I wrote in the paragraph above; the rf2 community can conclude the 1967 season via modding and a vMod to bring it all together for off/online racing.

18. speed1

speed1 Banned

Every car is a plus and a complete grid also, no matter which :)

19. Ryno917

Ryno917 Registered

More than anything else, I'd like to see something to match the EVE and Spark F2 cars. More fodder for that series would be awesome.

... Mostly because that's all I drive.

20. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

What works best for mods is to have a league edition. The cars look different and may even drive a little different but are performance equal. The problem with ISI is that if they license this stuff they can't very well make the performance equal if they are to be accurate. As soon as you mention that the cars are not historically accurate, people are turned off. As soon as you mention that some cars are better than others, everyone hops in the same car and gets turned off. There's no winning for ISI with this.

IMHO Indycar is desperately searching for any sort of publicity they can find. The brand is growing and the product is great. Since reunification they have been having a rough time. This would be the perfect time to approach them about track licensing. Even though rFactor has traditionally been targeted to Europeans (for good reason) this path is a no-brainer especially since you have the historical Indycar/CART mods coming and Mak Corp is planning on some CART/CCWS content.