ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Who really cares? It is not a deal breaker for using rF2 and you need to realise that no matter how much you stamp your feet, doesn't makes things they are doing move any faster.

2. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I for sure would want things to go faster but that is not the question being asked. The question is simple:
    When can we expect to be able to enjoy native VR in an ISI racing simulator?
    I would like to know their plans and if they are already working on it or they haven made up their mind yet. It is a customer asking about future features if they will ever come...

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

3. gkz

gkz Registered

Man stop wasting ur freetime and play an other game really! They don t even have money to buy a cv1 so what do u expact ? I think it is a shame to support this titel as a
    vr user after all they said about it. Watching this thread is like watching a ill bird to die.

Marketcrash16 is complete right.. i have a own software based business and how isi handle it is very bad sorry. The success of isi and every positiv come from rf 1.
    But at this time there where no competition at all for isi. rf 1 was the biggest game and they could sell ther isi engine to other publisher. And the modding community
    did the rest to that rf1 can stay on the top for many years. I give them credit for a great engine but like i said there was no competition. Now after rf 2 isi made the
    same move like rf1 but since rf1 the expectation for a sim goes higher and higher. PPl want license cars/Tracks, better multiplayer, being part of a community , votes etc.
    Someone said the new Generation are no hardcore drivers... Yes thats true a lot of sim/arcade players coming to simeracing because of titels like pcars and assetto corsa with is a clever
    mix between pcars/rfactor and this is the reason why rfactor 2 fails just the lack of hardcore simracers. But thats just bad excuse because the hardcore simracercommunity grow big time too.
    Only diffrent now is that they are splitting on titels like rf2, iracing, assetto, rr3, ams.... Now from a business aspect isi did the worst job of all publisher without any doubt. Because
    the name rfactor was a big boost over 2-3 years of rfactor 2. Lets face it without the name and history of rfactor 1 rf2 would be a even more disaster than it allready is.......

4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Weird that... how are they still in business then? Any sequel to a good first game is a victim of it's own success. Some gamers are needy and need constant reassurance that things are happening. Others just play the game and have a lot of fun with it. They think of what they have and not what they don't have.

They never said "can't afford CV1", you are mixing their words. They just saw no point developing and putting resources towards a moving target which was the Oculus SDK. Some things are locked down now in VR but again it would be foolish for a small team to split resources to something which at the moment is only for those with money to burn. Spend over £1000 on a good PC then another £700 on a VR headset!
    ISI have always catered for the lower end of the market, see how long they hung onto Windows XP because many people still used it. Yes VR is good and it probably has a future... but it sure needs to come down in price to be adapted by a "mainstream" audience.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually Win XP was not mainstream among gamers by the time rF2 came out, it was a similar minority as VR users is now or soon will be. The same could be said about stock cars; oval leagues are a niche within niche category, which ISI has spent the past year developing rules and content for. I think what ISI targets is already a very small group. If they just have the will and interest to go for VR, I think they should do it. Not adapting to quickly changing beta Oculus SDKs makes perfect sense. But the explanation to wait for VR to go "mainstream" sounds very non-ISI, after all they have been developing a non-mainstream product for the last 10 years.

6. Woodee

Woodee Registered

When I mean "mainstream", I don't mean that it will be seen by most gamers. What I mean is that there would need to be most rF2 users (not a minority) using VR to even consider investing the time. Their time seems so precious. XP was still around and by their reckoning they still had users racing with it. They clung onto it for as long as possible until jumping to 64 bit operating systems.

If rFactor 2 goes on sale in the imminent summer sale, I wonder what that will bring?

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

VR will drop prices and become mainstream much sooner than you expect. ISI will for sure lose all those future sales if not ready for VR when that happens.

Development comes from needs and from people wanting more than that they have. If it was for people like you we would still be playing Out Run.

Saying that ISI is a small team is a cheap excuse when there is a market opportunity out there that apparently ISI is ignoring. LFS implemented VR with a DX9 engine. Kunos simulazioni is a much newer company and has absorbed many rF2 potential users due to ISIs late decisions. Going to steam, dx11 and VR implementation.

Defending every decision of a company as you keep on doing in any thread, is actually not having an own opinion. The fanboy community is harming this product a lot.

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

They can defend themselves... they don't need the likes of me to do it. I am just giving people some perspective. People like you see things as all doom and gloom. I do not blindly follow, I just don't see the point of whining about things I have no control over.

VR has arrived, this won't be a passing phase this time. I see the bigger picture that there is plenty of time to get on the VR train. It is still a very niche product. Just because ISI weren't there at the start, doesn't mean it will never happen. ISI and Tim made their position clear, but it seems you want to stamp your feet some more until you get what you want.

In every single thread you seem to be moaning about something you haven't got... it makes me wonder if you ever enjoy anything. If you want to always look on the dark side, then so be it... but you can't expect others to follow your doom and gloom, moan and whine, stamping your feet performance.

If you don't like rFactor 2 or ISI then why are you spending your time posting here? Probably your time would be better spent doing something you enjoy? Plus if you want to engage in an adult conversation, perhaps you should treat others with a bit more respect.

9. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I love rF2. Thats why I feed this forum with my sincere opinion.
    I don't like the way ISI handles this and many other things. When that happens I show my disconformity.

You are accusing me of not enjoying things because I ask for other things. However you dont like being called a fanboy despite of jumping to defend ISI in every thread where something negative about their way of doing things is said. I am not really sure who needs to grow up here.

BTW.

- I have been organizing the rF1/rF2 touring championships in an rfactor exclusive racing website for three years already.

- Our modding group has created more than ten original fantasy tracks exclusively for rF2.

I guess it is not too bad for someone that doesn't like rF2

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2016
  10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

+1 man
    For the fanboys if you like something you can never say bad about it :D
    I love rF2 too, but not going to sit and say it is all right, this sim could and should be far ahead of where it is. :)
    Btw on the VR thing isn't AMD trying to push VR by selling cards capable of using it at a cheaper price? (RX 480)

11. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

To everyone, please keep it civil. I'll have to close this thread otherwise, it's ok to discuss but let's not throw names and insults around.

12. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Yup. Try to calm down abit.

13. unknwn

unknwn Registered

Hardcore sims and VR are both niche products. However in my opinion they both fit very well and enchance each other at the level unlike other current combinations of VR & games/demos. I don't think "niche" can be an excuse here. In addition to that hardcore sim racers are more likely to spend money on expensive peripherals including VR to get best possible racing experience/immersion.

14. Ernie

Ernie Registered

If ISI is (internally) considering an DirectX-upgrade of their graphics engine, then they should go right to DirectX12 and skip DX11. Because in perhaps 3-4 years, rF2 will be dated again with DX11. And DX12 should give a good benefit over DX11 performance-wise, if properly done.

15. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

All I see is the same things getting talked about over and over, year in and year out. Everybody is wasting their time with every word they type. I've done my share of that too.

We know ISI are slowing dev down already, so I can only expect none of these major developments like dx or vr are going to happen for rf2. Whether or not there is going to be an rf3 who knows?

ISI should just make a loose road map available, this super secret approach is too secret, when people wait for years for something and no sign of anything and not even any suggestion that it will even happen, that's when people get angry and it's probably not all that surprising.

Obviously some kind of basic simple non committal road map is the answer here, it won't change nothing on the ground but people will feel a little bit more informed and that will go a long way. I am not talking about giving cast iron guarantees and dates, that's stupid and will not work, but they could do something. Like drive train for instance, people waiting years and only news is the sound of silence, that irritates people. If they could only say "oh yeah drive train... it will be done... in rf2... one day..." that's a hell of a lot better than nothing and I'm sure the same applies to dx and vr etc.

16. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

I'm one of those who used to be in this forum everyday and play rf2 100% my only SIM but since I moved to VR and realized isi is not interested in this matter... I slowly stopped entering the forums and of course I cannot play rf2. I'm moving to AC. I still consider rf2 superior physics wise...but no VR and cartoon graphics...are important too

17. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Wait wait wait. You want cartoonish graphics?

18. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

We want better graphics of course, but if you have a good pc, graphics are beautiful. We allways want better, that's normal. But move to ac because of "bad graphics", I really don't understand !

19. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Even modder consider to drop rF2 for their future modding projects. And pixsim isn't the only one. There were modding groups which had already left the rF2 platform, and i'm afraid some more will follow.

A racing sim is not all about driving. It's the immersion. Not for nothing simracers around the world are constantly upgrading their simracing equipment with DD wheels, highend pedals, motion, triplescreen, etc. One of the reasons for that is to get the driving experience as nearly as possible to the real driving. And VR is the next bis step to get more and more immersed.

20. Magus

Magus Registered

Yes. it's a real shame ISI are currently looking the other way, with regards to VR. I also understand their predicament, as an overhaul of the graphics engine in reality is like releasing a new rf2.5. Do they do that or move on to rf3 or whatever the new project may be.

I think if ISI do make another racing simulation, their business model will be completely different. PAID CONTENT. PAID CONTENT & more PAID CONTENT. All the other racing games have shown how successful this model is.

I just wonder if a kick starter program was started by ISI to develop 'rf2.5' with DX11 & VR support, to just include all their own current content (any mods & 3PA are welcome to update their mods obviously), I wonder what kind of budget they would need to implement that? Is this something that has been talked about by ISI or ever considered?

Rf2 is one of the best out there, no doubt, shame to see it lose support from the community.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.