ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I found that with really not that much time with it I could even press individual keys on a keyboard without having to see it... I don't think the mindless hand waving people think they'd be doing with obscured vision is really accurate. :D

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Blind people can make themselves a cuppa tea without spilling a drop, I'm sure we'll be fine finding buttons and gear knobs after a while of getting used too it!

3. 88mphTim

Understand and even agree with how you feel, but I believe in giving you info on status when I have it. This is current status.

Worth bearing in-mind that the specifications required to support VR changed and really have made it less likely. Before that, I was way more confident.

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Thank you for your honesty Tim, i highly appreciate that. I'm not going to say i'm not dissapointed because i am, but at least you're not keeping the high hopes up.
    The money i saved for a hmd will be invested in a DD wheel i guess......or some state of the art pedals.....hmmm choices :rolleyes:

5. Miro

Miro Registered

Thx for the info. Still :(

6. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

same sentiment here... I've always had and still have huge respect for the way ISI goes about the development of Rf2 and praise their business model. This is the first time I feel dissapointed and fear that this could potentially harm their business more than they expect.

7. Comante

Comante Registered

It will take at least two years for the various VR systems to enter in a decent number of homes, time will tell.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

+1

While VR is certainly on a lot of people's radar right now, it'll take quite some time before it actually becomes "a thing".

Personally I think the price tag is ludicrous, as do many people.
    A lot of people need to make quite substantial PC hardware upgrades to even run it with somewhat decent game GFX quality.
    So that's a damn expensive piece of VR kit, plus a new graphics card, maybe a new processor, etc.

One thing is for sure, the hype is real. :D

Personally I'm going to wait, 2-3 years I think, and see where we're at then.
    I was incredibly excited about the VR stuff a year ago, but lately my interest has died down considerably.
    I'll be perfectly fine with my new 27 inch monitor for the next few years.

I also worry that some types of games (not talking racing sims here) will take a step in the wrong direction, with worse mechanics and less actual gameplay, due to VR.
    Some game devs will think they can get away with just making pretty games, where players just look at stuff, because VR, because immersion.
    Cue tons of half assed "walking simulators"...
    That's really bad, and I hope it's a trend that doesn't catch on too much.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that I understand the current stance of ISI on the VR matter.
    And I'm not going to lose any enjoyment if ISI choose to not implement VR support in rF2.
    There are other far more important things to look at, which will benefit a larger portion of the rF2 user base.

9. gkz

gkz Registered

everybody who cant efford a vr headset or don t want calls against it or says its not a high priority... and this is a shame of the community because when ppl complain about triple screen support do i post against
    triple screen user ???? hell no even if i hate triple screen and think its waste of money because of vr i would say its part of simrace as vr is. And i would never say things like " triple screen is outdated don t
    waste ur time with" because i have no triple screen setup and why should i talk against it ? And yes as u said it there lot of crap vr games out there so every racing titel with vr will get new members and this helps the community
    = more active and brings more ppl to simrace and at this point to rf 2. But i tell u if reiza makes vr support rf 2 will lose a lot of ppl and on the future if reiza is clever in maketing .rf 2 will get big problems. And me as
    hardcore fan of physics first in racing sim i can t ignore the bad multiplayer and vr statement anymore of isi and im happy to wait for my lifetime account to watch out what happen with vr.

10. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

That's why I used words like "personally", "I" and so on.
    Mine is just one opinion, I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone except myself.
    I wasn't posting "against" anything, merely stating where I stand on the matter. :)

The pure hype of VR is making it difficult to predict what is actually going to happen in the future.
    Some predict it's the future of gaming. Others predict it's a fad and it'll burn out rather quickly.

I certainly wouldn't mind having a good, solid and affordable VR headset with good performance and visuals, and race rF2 with it.
    I wouldn't mind that at all. ;)
    Like I said, I had taken a front row seat on the VR hype train up until very recently, until my interest began to fade as more and more actual VR information became available.
    I'm not in any way opposed to the idea of VR, it seems cool and I'd love to try it.

On the other hand, my world (only talking about my world here, not yours) won't come crashing down if that never happens in rF2.
    People who use VR support versus no VR support as the sole criteria for which games they'll buy... I don't get that at all, and to me, it seems like a bad direction.
    To a degree it removes focus from mechanics and gameplay (the most vital parts of a game IMO) to graphics, which is a damn shame, because games are/should be capable of so much more than just look good.

But what do I know.
    I'll stick with my old school single monitor for now and see what happens. :)

11. Duvel

Duvel Registered

oh dear, that's deeply disappointing regarding VR.

12. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Ah, the old "you can't afford it" argument. :p

13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

The focus of VR is not about graphics, it's about realism. rfactor2+VR+simplest graphics (e.g. only flat polygons without textures) is more realistic than rfactor2+monitors+best graphics possible (e.g. ray tracing). That's why I care that much about rfactor2 and VR because other "games" with less realistic physics than rf2 I don't even care much. I even don't want to see rf2 as a game, I see rf2 more as a simulation (racing simulation).

The bad thing about VR is that you have to try VR to really understand what it is. Because if I tell you it is like sitting in a real car you won't believe it.

14. 88mphTim

Got to agree on that, I went in laughing at the idea and came out a convinced VR user.

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

This is the perfect example (if ever one should be needed!) that Games Companies cannot please everyone.

- On the one hand you have those few that have the cash to buy the CV1/Vive straight away, they are disappointed because RF2 won't have support and as seen in here they are upset.
    - The other hand you have those that want a CV1/Vive but have no way to afford one (and the subsequent PC upgrade) so therefore will wait a while...so they're not too bothered either way.
    - Then the third hand (because you're an Alien from Pluto!) are those that simply couldn't give a rats ass and will happily wait for RF3 to properly support the CV1/Vive or whatever upgraded version is out by then as they can happily play the game as is without fuss (a rare breed *cough*)

Fact is this is new tech, new tech always takes time to grow on people (anyone old enough to remember Tape Decks then the move to CDs will know what I mean!) and for ISI to make it worthwhile to their business plan means they need a large percentage of people to actually own the product in the first place.....not say "I'll buy one" but actually have one in their possession.

And lets be realistic, if it was an easy bit of porting or code work to get the CVV1/Vive working in RF2 then ISI (and others) would probably do it in a weekend and the few that own one will be happy...but as had been explained already it's simply not an easy process. It's far better for ISI to add full support for RF3 (or whatever they do next) from the ground up instead of a hash job that will take time away from other areas that people want so desperately (Rain on windscreens, proper Surround Sound Support anyone?!).

Let face it, RF2 as an ongoing constantly developed title will probably have an "end" at some point, once that comes around the VR world should have more choice on the market which lowers prices and therefore more people buying and using one...so more importance to fully support that in a new title...or even RF2.5 :p

I see VR as a Marathon not a Sprint, I truly believe it will be around for a good while so I personally don't see the need for ISI to drop everything and support it from Day One just because a few people will have it, if it hurts their sales then so be it but they know what their doing and they've been doing it since 1992 - Trust in them to deliver, in the meantime have patience, if you can't hack it then play something else!

16. Panigale

Panigale Banned

All the patience or trust in the world isn't going to make rF2 arrive with DX11 support. Tim is telling you as much in a nice way. Current plan is it isn't in plan, a tough pill for some obviously.

Given the lack of investment in rF2 recently I don't see an rF3 but that is just a guess. Only ISI knows if rF2 was a financial success or failure but we can observe their development pace, only a skeleton crew exists. That speaks volumes about income. And who will continue to license a product that doesn't support VR?

Even the best opportunities have risk and it looks like Gjon has lost interest in risking enough funds to properly compete with other sim products while holding fast to an outdated revenue model. Meanwhile other sims like iRacing have more than doubled their user base while developing new content and supporting new technologies.

No one save for a few diehards with shallow pockets are waiting around to enjoy sim racing in VR.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Money ? Horse cock.

Some people simply don't like the idea of sticking theirs head in something for hours on end
    just to convince themselves it is not a game.

How do you adjust things like switches on button boxes huh ???
    Even Grand Prix drivers momentarily look at their wheels when changing "some" settings.

So how is that anymore realistic?

Is using virtual mirrors, spotters in F1 and narrow FOV realistic ??? ...........keep telling yourself they are. :rolleyes:

18. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

i dont understand how can u say that its too expensive when what you get is a top edge screen with high end 360° head tracking with two highly developed controllers plus two high end tracking projectors.

TrackIR5 the basic one is like 150 dollars, its **** with very bad tracking angles, the device it self is primitive and the software that you control it with is a disaster. And the latency is still higher than Vives
    700 bucks for Vive? still a bargain

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't want to be a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed nothing but bs.

I want to see life.

When they make a VR room like you see in fantasy space shows , now that will be something to be around for.

No one answers my question yet again, typical.

How do you tweak things like rotary guages, with gloves and your head in a box. Well ?

20. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't have a problem using my CSR Elite + Manual Shifter + Pedals in VR. The CSR-Elite has 12 buttons + mini joystick.
    I don't need to see them in race or in pit for adjustements. Even did league races in VR. Same for manual shifter and of course pedals.
    When you drive a car in real, do you ever have to see were your e.g. winker switch or your manual shifter or your handbrake is? They are placed so you don't have to.

Don't know for modern F1 cars, but you don't have to see buttons for driving historic F3 for sure ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.