ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Best case scenario would be people buying things with us putting our feet up on our desks and not doing anything at all. Neither side of those will happen, so we find somewhere in the middle as we always have. Basically that involves doing as we're told to by Gjon, who seems to have his head screwed on. :)

2. 88mphTim

SLI is supported, the technology isn't great with any DX version, either due to people not buying x16 mobos, or not installing drivers properly for their mainboard. 'Not supported' would come across to me as a lie.

Not going to support VR for less than 1% of customers as it seems right now. It's going to have to be in a lot of people's hands and create NEW sales if it's going to be a part of this product. We're in no rush.

What's hard about the 3D? You're blaming us for driver implementation there, or what?

If you want triples at 120fps, make sure you have a system that can do it. Simple as that.

:)

3. RNelson

RNelson Registered

LOL From what I have seen from day 1 I would have to agree that things have been pretty well thought through. And I know I am nowhere near qualified to tell Gjon/ISI how to run the business.

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

SLI profile is from 2011 and gMotor has been "optimized" few times. The problem is that SLI profile is not not updated and rFacor2 don`t have good performance with this old profile. I would love to see rF2 in Sli Optimised games list:http://www.nvidia.in/object/sli-technology-games-in.html

rFactor2 is fine with Nvidia 3D sorround with latest driver 364.47. I am talking about new glasses-free 3D PC monitors in 27-inches and 32-inches. Ultra-D sets should arrive in retail outlets soon(DX12).
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/05/glasses-free-3d-tv/#5WpEkuwBJZqm

I have watercooled rig. The price tag was 7600 EUR when I did build it some months back.
    Mainboard: X99 WS-E/10G
    CPU:i7-5960X@4.4Ghz
    RAM:32GB Ripjaws 4@3000 CL15
    Graphics:2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 980Ti Classified Kingpin.

I know that I am not the only one who is struggling with performance issues with SLI. Maybe Joe could give us some answers/support here:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26985-New-NVIDIA-SLI-profile

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2016
  5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

SLI Single Screen or SLI triple screen?

SLI and triple screens should be OK.

6. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

This is the saddest line of them all

7. 88mphTim

I've sent you an email reply that might help, might not.

By the way, (as you mentioned in your email) you don't get banned from a forum for having an opinion I disagree with (not that I disagree, SLI sucks, but we support it - ask AAA games if they all support it... Tip: they often don't, because it sucks). :)

8. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

@the 1% of VR people: I am wanting to get VR, 90% of that reason is for rF2, but im not gonna get VR if rF2 doenst do VR, so that 1% might be misleading since i am potential VR user, yet not reflected in that statistic, and i suspect im by far not the only one

9. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

I think there is SLI support in RF2, but when run on very high end systems only something is backfiring somewhere giving terrible results. This seems almost certainly to be true.

10. 88mphTim

Actually much less than 1%. I consider myself a VR user, and will use it where it's supported. :) Went into it a total skeptic, but love it.

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Yes i saw your video, but than you must agree that racing sim is one of the most ideal applications for VR. So i am sencerely hoping for good VR support in rF2, dont really give a damn about APIs, altho newer DX will probably be needed for such support i dont know just speculating

12. Depco

Depco Registered

So presumably you became a proponent and pushed for VR integration at ISI internally. If that is the case I can then assume you were given the same answer we all were.

I plan on getting a VR Headset as soon as I can swing the hefty hit to my bank account. I planned on pre-ordering the Rift 'til I saw the $600.00 rice tag. That put the kibosh on the early adoption. Once the price comes down a bit more I will get a HMD. By that time rF3 will be out with DX12. ;) The future is bright, but still a bit in the distance.

13. 88mphTim

Anything cockpit based is perfect for it, yeah. Seeing something moving relative to you seems to help avoid motion sickness. Flight/Space seems better suited than racing, but anything with a cockpit or overlaid on screen. Newer DX is required by Rift, yes. Probably got to blame the Microsoft deals there.

And yes, of course I've been a supporter of VR within ISI and outside it, but if rF2 ends up not being a product that ever sees it implemented, it's not the end for me with VR, or rF2. If it is for anyone else, then of course that's very sad. But nothing I can do to stop them. Some people want VR, others want a specific car or track licensed, some want organized racing, and if rF2 doesn't give them it, so be it.

14. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

Information always helps.

Thank you :)

15. gkz

gkz Registered

Its not 1% lol what are u talking ? U can make a rfactor 2 vote about vr and i will bet that it will 10-30 % allready on begining. But it will be 1 % because u will lose ur fans in the future .... Every racing publisher is stupid to not be vr ready on the begining because there not much vr games on the market and u can make big money/new customers so its not only about ppl who own rf 2 right now its about new one.. iracing prepare big for vr as project cars and this are studios who could compared to smaller ones really sh** about vr costumers but they didn t for which reason ? But u do as small as isi is really ? Now as steamvr hit the final version for 2 days and support htc vive and oculus its all done. Sorry but i think the guys are to old in isi studios to really understand the important of vr for simracing..... And this is not a blame or hate its real opinion because i think that ppl with a age of 40-50 years has a other vision than the younger generation.

16. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

I hope you don't mind sharing your video.

17. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

I do admit that i find this utterly disapointing

18. crz

crz Registered

Regarding the newer DX version required for the rift... The other day I came across a post from Scawen at reddit regarding the workaround they use with LFS:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/com...speed_test_patch_for_0600_direct_mode/cscts8s
    Not sure if this would work equally good for rF2 but I thought I'd leave it here.

19. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

What about not being able to see your button boxes and buttons and knobs on the wheel? Does it already work well with motion simulators? What about long term usage? Until all this is solved I don't see it being a viable option for serious simulation.

20. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Super clear!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.