ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

lol.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  2. willevans

willevans Registered

I have rf2 running in wine under linux flawlessly with one exception and that is I have been unable to get the FFB working which of course is needed for rf2. Because of that fact I have a windows partition specifically for rfactor.

Incidentally "live for speed" FFB works perfectly under linux so it is possible to achieve if they had a mind to.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Uwe Schuerkamp always has a Linux server running for testing

4. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

Since this build hasn't even been released to the public, it's premature to be making specific statements on performance as there's bound to be conflicting information based on a small number of configurations running unknown builds of code. For example, the only review I've watched stated a drop in maximum frame rates but an increase in minimum (that is, smoother)... and that's on a build from a week or two ago.

We'll know tomorrow night how performance is affected and in what way (+ or -).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  5. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Not me! I've even found a way to permanently disable that nag screen from infecting my Win 7 install.

P.S. This is a great article by one of the leading PC modders out there:

http://www.pcgamer.com/why-pc-games...tm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamer

Really explains the horrors of what could happen if MS succeeds in their latest attempt to tame the PC gaming market and turn it into console land. When you read something like that, you realize things that have nothing to do with graphical mods, like Simvibe, would also be eliminated.

It really is no wonder why they've made the decision to start porting most of their XBox One titles to the Windows Store (after a decade long absence in this regard). They're going to do everything they can to pull this off. I really fear what future versions of Windows will bring. That Linux lifeboat that Valve's been constructing these past few years isn't looking so pointless anymore.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Yup, big pull and throwing rivers of money. Let's really hope consumers' brains are engaged and they do not adopt it.

7. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

8. Depco

Depco Registered

The truth is that most gamers are lazy. The console gamers are the laziest of all as they dont have to do any work to get their games running. (outside of wait for the inevitable day one patches) I would like to think that my PC gaming brethren are a bit less lazy. However, we expect our games to work out of the box as well. When they dont we march off to forums and voice our displeasure, at least those of us who have the drive to even do that. Most PC gamers are not going to move to another OS simply for their gaming computer.

Most gamers also use their computers for productivity and other non gaming chores. The OS of choice will have to do more than simply allow for unfettered and unrestrained gaming ability. Windows is the OS that every developer, games and productivity, develops for. I dont see any developers making a switch unless there is a compelling reason to. Linux has been around since 1991 and It is still not widely adopted by home users. Does anyone remember "Lindows"? Case in point.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

lol, good to know this thread title is misleading in the first place. This forum is usually worth a good chuckle.

10. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Iracing does not have any 3rd party content which may be a big difference, depending on answer to the following.

So is it the case then, that it is in no way possible for ISI to move on from dx9 without screwing up all the 3rd party content? If so then I can see the problem here.

11. Miro

Miro Registered

Doubt modders would cry much. In fact majority appreciates GFX updateds AFAIK. Just not really a way to put this on the modders.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Not necessarily. Tuttle explained some posts ago the difference between porting (to DX11), optimized patching and built from ground DX11. Porting would be doable without breaking mods, but you would basically have the same visuals as now.

13. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Perhaps, but it would still be good to know the answer.

I don't think it is an insignificant problem if a lot/all of 3rd party content suddenly stopped working one day. And being stuck with dx9 for years ahead, which is the way it looks to me, is not without it's downsides either.

14. hardtohandle

hardtohandle Registered

Ah well that's good.

But it depends on the details. Tim was saying if you port that dx9 stuff str8 to dx11 it gives you nothing. I do not know much about dx api, except that it;s complicated, so maybe it is backwards compatible to dx9 and what Tim says is true.

If that's the case maybe the move can be made in a way that keeps existing content working albeit with no benefits, whilst leaving door open to new content native to dx11 simultaneously. But I do not know. If that is not possible, or some other route forward that keep existing content working, I cannot see how it is possible to leave dx9 behind.

15. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

The PC platform has a bad reputation. Malware in all its various types is endemic. Even good software comes bundled with undesirable spyware. Software applications suffer incompatibilities with each other; they suffer incompatibilities with device drivers. Programs do not uninstall cleanly, leaving detritus scattered hither and yon. They also don't upgrade consistently, with every single application having its own patching and updating infrastructure. Even when everything works, upgrading your operating system is prone to breaking it all.

WTF ????

These problems may be overstated some what.

lmao " overstated"

What a understatement. :rolleyes:

Yeah I rather have kiddie console physics ! lool

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  16. nultweezes

nultweezes Registered

Most problems of "PCs" are Windows problems. If it wasn't for rF2, I wouldn't use this bloated, unefficient, non pivacy respecting, overpriced joke of an operating system. Open source is the future and I can't wait for the gaming industry to move to GNU/Linux.

17. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Without driving sims what on earth would I want a PC for. :confused:

Will linux make other sims drive and handle like rF2 ? ......... good luck with that.

18. qusimano

qusimano Registered

I think Rf2 have a pretty solid engine, i feel completely immersed when i drive long race, dont see the needs for new dx, but some features are still missing and all are achievable with dx9:
    Rain on windscreen
    rain on helmet visor
    rainspray that rise up from front wheel too
    smoke and rainspray that flow on the body of the car, as i had read in the plr
    working wipers
    sparks
    Dirt pickup
    I remember a screen of a dirt track with a cactus?
    realroad for dirt track?
    Most of these things can be achieved with dx9, Simbin do these things since gtr2\race07(rain,wipers,helmets)
    Do you remember in race07, when you have to peel off the dirt film from visor? That was a nice addition!
    I do not know if this features are missing because still lacking in the code area or because 3D artists have a different roadmap, I just prefer to see these things added before any other things, included new cars and tracks, and i know it's going to be a very long work, but those are things that add realism and immersion:cool:

19. schigara

schigara Registered

I used to have to disinfect or format and reload WinXP and then Win7 on my uncle's PC every 6 months or so and this went on for many years. I finally got sick of the hassle and installed Linux Mint over 2 years ago and he hasn't even mentioned his PC except for how much he loves it now.

If it weren't for sim racing, I would be on Manjaro Linux.

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I keep seeing this kind of comment from many people and I think I'm the luckiest person on earth because Windows itself never gave me any problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.