ISI Planning to convert RF2 from DX9 to DX10 or DX11 like iRacing did?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marcel van der Linden, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElPronto

ElPronto Registered

2. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

Nice necro. :rolleyes:

3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

DX 12 and MS is turning into a nightmare. MS has very bad intentions for PC gaming.

I say screw DX 12. If they're going to update to a new engine, I really hope they choose an open platform (which PC has historically been... thanks IBM), and go with OpenGL's Vulkan. All of the benefits of DX12, none of the soul selling required.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

DX11. Screw DX12 (99.9% of GPUs aren't made to take advantage of anything of it, yet).

Governments and big associations need to move towards open software, so they don't shell out millions to MS, and billions fixing stuff, incentivizing MS to further their practices like all the dodgy maneuvers they have been implementing with Win10 and the latest developments with chipsets.

5. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Screw DX11; it's overrated and doesn't bring anything anywhere close to what proper, full DX12 and/or Vulkan support can do. Why spend so much time, resources, money, etc. to update to DX11 when DX12 and Vulkan are APIs of a proper revolution rather than the baby-step evolution that is DX11? Doing so would be such a waste.

DX12 or Vulkan...or go home.

6. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

That would be very nice, wouldn't it? DX11 seems a far more realistic expectation though.

7. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

It goes back to how will DX12 affect ISI physics ( only thing worried me when I first made a post 2.5 years ago about DXxx in a "later " ISI sim and how it may be affected ) ......and got abused,...........trust me to think ahead of the curve here, figures.

Will it make cars feel sub standard, like all the other DX10 titles do ?

oh you telling me they all feel even remotely as good .....................okay ( ffs) lol

The disconnection in steering, physics and feeling, the road and terrain wooden.

If so you can shove your DXxx

8. stonec

stonec Registered

DX12/Vulkan is very interesting, but I feel the only way we are going to get it is if ISI makes rF3 or whatever the next game is that they hinted at recently. Updating rF2 from DX9->DX12, including all pain with mod compatibility, must be a nightmare. Realistically, some DX11 effects like what iRacing is now doing, is probably the most that can be hoped for regarding rF2.

9. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

I'm sure you guys know the difference between DX straight porting, DX optimized patching, and DX built from the ground.

In the case of DX12, porting and/or patching the sim from DX9 to DX12, would be like an elephant in a glass store and of course not going to add anything to both performance and visual eyecandy, unless you don't start killing backward compatibility and probably introducing a funny variety of problems, as with such low level of hardware abstraction in the API (that's the core advantage of DX12), developers will have to really pay a mental relationship on hardware level (using the same abstraction on DX12 as DX9 means doing just very bad), and that's 100% possible just starting from a white piece of paper. Developers are already scratching their heads because that tiny layer of abstraction forcing a more strictly talk with specific GPUs/CPUs, to reduce previous DXs bottleneck.

DX12 it's good if you have to write down a new product which is gonna ask lot of resources but you want it running even on mid range machines, on an high quality level. This is gonna open the PC game market to a MUCH wider audience (mostly console oriented), which is good, but that's really far away to be the rFactor 2 pipeline. Doesn't make really sense, apart enjoying that 3 numbers more in the library name.... :)

10. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I always assumed ISI was fine with DX9 because rFactor Pro doesn't need anything better.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

lol

12. gkz

gkz Registered

Iracing convert there dx9 to dx11 and improve the performace by 5-10 % with nearly same graphics or min. better to implement vr support mainly. Is isi planing anything like this ? because if i read this dx 12 will not happen.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

DX9 to DX11 it's not the same thing as DX9 to DX12. DX12 it's gonna require a very different (and demanding) approach because of the HAL. That's the point of what I said, so you shouldn't read something I didn't say.

14. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Seems a lot of people want to be forced to run Windows 10.

15. Traveller

Traveller Member

DX12? Bah. I won't get excited until they hit DX13.

16. gkz

gkz Registered

i never said this. I said i understand that dx12 is not the same and wont happen.. question was does isi has any plans to convoer dx9 to dx11 like iracing does it to improve performance and support vr.

17. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Those asking for DX12 should really read up on this. It's why I support DX11 (or the unlikely Vulkan).

18. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

if rf2 would be able to run under inux .... <3 One could only dream about that approach :)

19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

To be honest the only reason I'm not on windows 10 yet is because there is no sim using DX12 so I don't have any need for it yet. Only going for win10 if things go as planned and I'm able to heavily upgrade my PC in a few months or in 2017 when Reiza releases their next sim

20. Depco

Depco Registered

I certainly dont intend to move to Win 10 unless I am forced to in order to play my favorite games. Since no games require DX12 as mandatory I dont see the need to move to Win 10. That all being said. I would love to see ISI move to DX11 so they could natively support VR HMD's. However, ISI has said in the past that they dont see a reason to move to DX11 as the effort needed would not be met by the reward of the work done.

So for those of you who are hoping that ISI will change course and embrace the newer API's, don"t hold your breath. As evidenced by their past history, ISI does what THEY want, not what their community wants. It probably is for the best as they would be working on about a 100 different things at one time if they listened to what the most common posters here asked for. Given the small size of the development team they have to prioritize what projects have the most return on effort. DX11 Or 12 are not high on that list, and probably never will be. rF3 will probably be the best option for an updated graphics API.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.