Screen freezing - Dev Mode

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by WHAT21A, Aug 18, 2013.

1. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Everything loads fine, I click race and whenever I move the mouse the screen freezes, if I minimize the editor menu everything runs fine, but that kind of defeats the purpose of running in dev mode, this makes it impossible to do anything with the dev mode editor.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling dev mode, running in as many configurations as I can think of but still get the same problem no matter what track I load.

Any ideas?

2. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Do you have the xfinish, xsector1+2 set up ? I think I read that they are essential prior to any testing or DevMode WILL crash - just me first thought...

3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

I always run DevMode in windowed mode. It stutters a bit more but runs much more stable.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I thinkthat WHAT21A is referring to the actual GUI menus of the DevMode - being minimized

5. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

Yep, whenever the gui isn't on screen it runs fine, but when its up freezes every time I move the mouse.

WIZPER as I said happens on all tracks so that isn't the problem.

Edit: happens both full screen and windowed aswell.

6. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Totally missed the "same problem no matter what track I load" - In that case, I have NO idea... It sounds more like a hardware issue then :p

7. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

:), its driving me crazy, i wanted to redo the AIW today on symmons plains but cant because of this.

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

First time you run the build 240 devmode? Are you pressing CTRL+H just after the track load to release the system from the gap checker? Any particular input device connected to your system?...just trying to put few variables on the desk as this is a very weird issue...:)

9. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

I have no other input devices other than my keyboard or mouse connected, ran dev mode a few days ago and it was fine, I've done nothing since to change how it behaves. Leaving the gap checker on or turning it off makes no difference.

seems like if I hold my right mouse button down on the screen it runs smooth, but as soon as i let go it freezes.

http://www.twitch.tv/what21a/c/2772467

Thats a video of the problem.

It's probably something really stupid and simple, but i cant for the life of my figure it out.

10. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Looks to me that you have something running backround, which takes lots of resource and have pretty high priority in windows.

Check out windows task manager for "hungry" processes.

Cheers!

11. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

It's defiantly not anything in the background, it's seems like when the GUI is up its taking the window out of focus, even when full screen.

12. Tuttle

Interesting....:)

The menu on devmode/viewer is using the AntTweakBar library so things involved in the process are more than one...This library is VERY VERY friendly on rendering, almost "invisible" by the main 3D pipeline... so it is not so easy to debug your issue, but I would try few things:

1) If you're using a wireless mouse, check your batteries.
    2) Check if your system needs some C++ updates (through your OS autoupdate system)
    3) Check you're using latest DX package.

I would even try an aggressive approach with a clean install of the entire SDK package, GPU and mouse driver.

Of course I'm guessing you're not running any demanding software on background...

13. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

There's nothing in the background, everything is up to date. only did a full reformat last week so i got all the latest then. It is really odd because the viewer works fine yet dev mode doesn't. If i can't figure it out i'll do a full reinstall of the SDK and see if that helps.

14. Tuttle

Both viewer and devmode are loading the same ATB 1.15 library, so the issue should be on your specific hardware/software combination. I know, hard to spot...

BTW, tomorrow I'll report your issue to coders.

15. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

I just reinstalled everything in a completely different location and i still get the same problem. I've went through all the compatibility settings, disabled everything except what i need to run the game and it still happens.

It is ok if i hold my left or right mouse button down while on the window though.

Just looks like the game is trying t write its cursor over the top of the window cursor when the atb is active which is what is causing the issue. I've tried everything to fix it now i'm completely lost at what to do.

16. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

I've been doing new pit and garage locations for Symmons plains today and every time i go back too the menu hub with the ATB still open when i hit escape i cant use any of the menu buttons and have to close the exe down in task manager. Dont know if this is a known bug or not.

17. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

I have the same problem.

GPU: AMD 5850

I install AMD 13.8 beta drivers and get this..
    The viewer runs fine.

I will try install 13.6 beta again.

18. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

reInstall AMD driver 13.6 beta2 and is don't freeze. ;)

19. WHAT21A

WHAT21A Registered

I wonder what they've changed then to cause that. Hopefully ISI can look into it as i'm sure AMD won't bother.

20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Mario accidentally replied to the forum notification email, which came to me, rather than to the thread.

His response was: Need to run the macroscriptonce (Menu MAXScript run ) or drag and drop the script again