Simbin sending warnings to Sim racing community sites

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Several sites have received warnings from Simbin about ” illegal” mods. Now at least two of the sites are infamous for NOT allowing il
    legal content and have fallen under the same umbrella and received warnings. It seems they are ust sending warnings out to everyone.

Simbin is threatening our sim racing community with warnings to web sites and groups. please urge them to stop and boycott their products until they understand that the sim racing community does not appreciate bully tactics. please reshare this status and post it on the Simbin Facebook page

2. rhamm

rhamm Registered

I've already been boycotting Raceroom because I hate the driving model compared to rFactor 2. Well, that and I hate "free" to play games even more.

3. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What bully tactics? If they own the rights to the track and it's been used without their permission and they are not ok with it (hence the active pursue to have it taken down by them)....surely they are well within their rights to send out warnings and ask uploaders to comply. Or have i misunderstood your position?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  4. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Timmy, buy this kiosk away from loitering and ruining whats left of their reputation as one of the great sim makers.

5. tjc

tjc Registered

Got to +1 this... if it`s their stuff and it`s being used illegally they have every right to want that stopped...

No?

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

They are targeting at least 2 communities that specifically disallow this sort of content. Also how is the average sErver operator-a guy who just wants to race, supposed to know what's allowed and not? Many mods are released with no specifics mentioned as to the origin of the mod. Is every person who runs a server supposed to be a modder too and open every mod and track down the source of every asset? That's asinine

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

What exactly do you mean with 'targeting' and 'warnings' ?

That sounds they are over-aggressive but is that actually the case? how is this bullying taking place?

Its their content and theirs to chose how it will be used. nothing wrong with that, in fact pretty sensible when running a business and in trying to push a certain platform or system. If they would not care about it, they might as well stop being a business al together?

I'll agree on people not always fully aware how questionable content can be, hence Simbins campaign? make sense to me.

8. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

I also agree that its their property and that Simbin have every right to say what can and can't be done with it.

That said, I think the declaration of war on some of the modding communities tells a deeper story.
    I could be wrong but I reckon their free 2 play effort on Steam has backfired on them and that they are now getting desperate.

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

They have targeted these threatening emails to sites that don't use illegal mods. They haven't done any homework on these sites and that's my point. They are casting a wide net. If they target specific groups and specific mods our modders who are responsible for using these Simbin assets that is different and understandable. It is the method they are using by targeting these emails to groups that may or may not use this content and don't know it's source that's not right. They need to target the mods, analyze them for Simbin content and take appropriate action. Specific, targeted and appropriate action not just targeting any group that sports Sim racing.

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

......and now you can see what could happen to any non official payware from anyone that owns anything. lol

Ignorance is not a excuse, they could demand compensation for years of stuff sold.

Like I said do ISI want licence, possibly Audi and BMW as examples ? ............ funny way to show it imho :)

11. Domi

Domi Registered

We have to boycott them because they are actually trying to protect their stuff? lol

12. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

So what is the problem..... Simbin say don't use it; those sites don't use it anyway; nothing changes for them???

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Don't understand either tbh. unless Simbin is suing innocent people or something.

So i'm guessing a few of their emails where off-target, what's the big deal?
    In fact, that's a good way to create a stir and make people understand even more.

14. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Well...then their emails, no matter how threatening, is of no concern to them and life goes on as usual. So I don't see the problem....in these instances there is a specific name for this type of email...spam.

Wooah...slow down there...I thought we were talking about race community sites that host downloadable mod content, no? You just went from looking at it from an uploaders perspective (the guy who uploaded the mod and/or the mod file hosting community site) to a user perspective (guy hosting a server and client users).

Again, weren't we talking about race community sites? And no one has suggested what you've just said but I think you exaggerated the difficulting in finding out if some mod is not supposed to be. Example is the limited number of threads with the download links and other posters comments are usually good indicators without needing to "open every mod and track down the source of every asset".

I do agree with you that if the content is illegally ripped and the owner seriously cares about it being actively distributed elsewhere for free then they should pursue the problem from its source.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  15. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

Here is my opinion on what Guy is trying to say.

These sites have mods on them, that are NOT SimBin's content, yet they are trying to get mods taken down, because it eats into their profits.

For Instance: (hypathetically speaking)

SimBin has a 1991 F1 game (or track), and F1SR has the 1991 F1 mod (made by F1SR), for free. Simbin is trying to get the F1SR mod taken down? Am I correct?

If it's their content, then I can see a reason to desist. But if people are modding stuff with the same content, but by their own hands, made into a mod, that's just wrong.

16. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Well Guy actually sayed its about illegal mods, into that i would put the simbin content that is beeing converted to other games as its about simbin.

17. Shamrock

Shamrock Registered

He also said SimBin is targeting websites who do NOT allow illegal mods.

18. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Yeah I think they have taken a look at how well other titles are doing, looked at the gamble they took with RRRE with stupid micro payments etc Realized its well and truly bombed and said to themselves hang on all these other titles look to be popular and they are using our stuff, So the only answer is to well and truly throw the toys out of the pram. Fair enough its Simbins property and they can do what they like, but what has changed in the last 10 years modded content? I won't be supporting Simbin no more.

19. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Simbin bought the gmotor engine and used it for their own game. We bought simbin titles and use it's content for "our" games.

Can't see a problem there...

Half joking, as I can't take it too serious...

But on the other hand, please support our modding teams who don't get any money for all their creations which we love so much.

CTDP
    ENDURACERS
    DRMMODDING
    HISTORX MODDING
    ORSM
    COM8
    FEELS3
    VIRTUALM

and luckly many more.

20. 7xu5

7xu5 Registered

Simbin=new game sell system