Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

save yourselves the pain, integrated support not to far away ( "on or around the CV1 release" )
    I'm sure it will be worth the wait

2. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I'm having the same problem using vorpX 0.8 and IIRC same problem recently using Tridef with DK2 (something must have changed, I can't remember this was an issue before).
    Maybe gkz is having a different IPD so that he isnt affected by this problem. (mine is 62mm)

ATM I'm using assetto corsa, monitors are no option for me anymore too ... waiting for vorpX 0.9 to release this month to see if this problem is maybe gone, but I don't have high hopes. I want to use rf2 with the Rift! It's time for ISI doing a native Rift implementation!

3. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Oh guys, so i'm not alone in this world of pain LOL, i was feeling that i was the only one with this issue since no one came up with it.
    It's not playable for me, producing heavy eye strain after some minutes.
    First of all, thanks Vittorio for putting all that effort and knowledge, plugins and so..
    I'm playing assetto corsa and project cars too, really enjoy the graphics, but ... those are not what i really want, i want rFactor it's the only sim that i'm proud to drive and the only one that puts a smile on me.
    I hope you're right AdrianSealth, is that information updated or it's old? I feel that we are further than before for native support since OR dropped DX9 in their runtimes... so i *believe* that for OR native suport rF2 should be converted to DX(something) i assume 12.

4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

cv1 will work fine with dx9
    ( it's only later dx versions that will be devlopemed for advanced features of oculus software -what ever they are)
    tim's statement re.compatibility to my knowledge still stands & it was quite firm at the time

ISI doesn't want to get left behind as VR will really gain momentum especially in sim racing from CV1 release
    as its a super experience
    ( In titles that have decent integrated support )

5. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Registered

VR IS the future. It's good news to know that ISI will integrate it into rFactor2 :)

6. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I went back thinking again about this problem with the convergence of the images, that seems to be a "new" problem, or at least something that it was not happening some time earlier..
    I released then that build Max (998) has this new Multi View setup and bezel correction feature... is it possible that this is causing the convergence problem?
    Watching this screenshot, it seems that there is a IPD.

http://i.imgur.com/I8OczsI.png
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ble-(new-demo)?p=380452&viewfull=1#post380452

7. gkz

gkz Registered

that is so weird so many of you have such a hard time to even start off with the DK2 :/
    We are 2 drivers in this household and both have none of the described problems. Thus also 2 different IPD settings. One has glasses and the other hasn't. I have no clue whats going on.

But since the last build and this new one we don't get 75FPS anymore ...................... Anyone who has a smooth rF2 + Rift combo can chip in here?
    It's like when driving with other cars on the track there's something wrong with RF2
    Example: I drive with 4 other AI's (5 drivers) on LimeRock and when we drive downhill onto the straight to the finish line the FPS drop
    In the past I could have had a field of 16 cars without FPS drops, now at a start of a race I drop below 60 and can't hit 75 anymore constantly.

With other games everything's fine and the same, just rF2 changed :(

8. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

Did you update your Oculus Runtime environment? Did you change video drivers? Did you update to a newer Tridef Version?

Finally i'm using AC & PCars for quick&go races on the Oculus, and use Rfactor2 to remember how much i suck at driving on mi 23 inch monitor.

9. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Hi, have some questions if you dont mind
    On cv1:
    They already have a release date? Are they accepting pre-orders?

On dk2:
    Still have to wait some months to get the oculus? They accept more than 1 order for customer? Is it playable in rf2?

The thread is too big and random reading did not find what im looking for
    Thanks in advance

10. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

CV1, not taking pre-orders and release date is Q1 2016 timeframe.
    DK2, their webpage says "All completed orders are subject to review. Once approved, orders typically ship within 2 business days.", so not months or weeks. You should mail Oculus for quantity and for me no, it's not playable in RF2.

11. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Thank you.

12. gkz

gkz Registered

Why do you say it's not playable when people in rF2 drive/drove exclusively with the rift and don't want to use a monitor anymore
    it was more playable then AC up to the last 2 builds. And even now I can drive on the rift, although it sucks that I cant have a real field of drivers anymore...

13. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I now have zero interest in title if no ( or none mentioned/intended ) support in VR

I only use VR , monitors are "unplayable" to me now as they don't move with my head & I can see as much of my room as I can the sim world ( my previous 3x27" 3D monitors were 3D ...but 3D not as good as the rift )

ps I still have interest in rf2 as its a great sim with support coming for the CV1

( I totally don't ever want to try again to get it to work with the dk2 as to much time wasted already )

14. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

Hi Adrian, i used oculus rift dk1 for short time. The immersion was really beyond words but the resolution was a game breaker.
    And you mind to talk some about gpu to run Cv1? Im in a gtx 980 ti which i believe is good enough to play with high settings but i'm "away" from rift stuff for some time.
    I was amazed by the price some people are selling dk2 in Brasil on sales websites. Even i wont keep dk2, worth to get a couple to sell here since i got relatives coming from Usa.

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

a decent PC will run the cv1 fine I'm sure

just a matter of adjusting graphical settings to suit

with the dk2 I cap Iracing fps at 205fps, it sometimes dips lower but I'm always in high fps

the cv1 has higher resolution -that dosnt mean we have to run at the higher res .....more screen pixel count will deliver higher quality visuals even if resolution settings was set to that of the current dk2
    but a few steps up in res setting ( to the highest the cv1 can offer ) will only be a small hit I'm sure -graphical settings can be adjusted to compansate, I do prefer high fps for racing simulation

16. gkz

gkz Registered

Both consumer versions by Oculus and Valve will run on 90hz so you'll need high FPS and thus a very strong PC. Why in heaven's name would you set the resolution down??? It's like I'm buying a 4K monitor to play @1440p. That doesn't make sense and will look horrible. Just take your FullHD picture and set it @720p and tell me what you see... blurriness, that's what you recommend people? Also you can't generalize and take iRacings performance as a guide for consumer VR somewhere in the future. It's not a VR benchmark. (And I also don't understand why you should set 205FPS on a 75hz device unless it's like in CounterStrike that you need 100fps because of the engine and hitreg. No constant FPS is like the worst thing you can choose to go for btw)

Just to make it clear: consumer VR is far away, especially from being inplemented in AAA games and rF2. NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING for certainty, yet. I got all hyped up by their marketing and geared up with a 970 SLI setup for the DK2 and the consumer versions just to get "disappointed" (Valve lying about their release date). People try to get advice what will happen in 6+ months, that's impossible to answer. VR won't be cheap, that's the only thing for sure. Maybe you get lucky if all VR supported games will be well optimized in DX12 and your gear will hold up, maybe not. People ask the wrong questions here. Do some research on your own for your own sake. There are quite a few articles and youtubers showing stuff about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

SLI has always been disappointing for me ( on monitors )

reduce resolution increases performance
    ( I've never ran highest resolution when I use to use monitors although obviously I do on the dk2 )
    running the cv1 at 1080 ( same as dk2 ) will produce a better quality image than the dk2 as the screen pixel count is higher ( although I'll run at full res the cv1 is capable of m sure I'll still have high fps as I do with the dk2 )

CV1 releasing Q1 16, now not to far away

90hz is the screen refresh rate, PC fps output is a separate thing

Iracing feels great at fps 140-150fps ( I cap at 205 because that gives the best most fluid experience ...after testing )

Iracing is being used a general benchmark as it has decent rift support
    rf2 will perform similar with appropriate graphical settings ( based on previously using both sims) assuming Isi CV1 support being decent

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2015
  18. Lou Is

Lou Is Banned

I'm doing it here :) As i said find dk1 an amazing experience because immersion. I know some limitations since i used to read oculus rift forum but that was a long time ago. I just want to know if my hardware will be capable of running cv1 and if dk2 is already playable.
    I could ask that questions (orders, release dates, etc) in their forum but i like to ask here more because i think people are used to my bad english.

19. Joeymaurone

Joeymaurone Registered

I didn't say its' unplayable at all, said that "for me, is not playable".
    I know you were able to play it like a native game, and yes something for sure changed, i don't know if the change was in tridef or rf2. I think the problem might be this MultiView setup included since build 998.
    In the last years i wasn't using Rf2, las time i did it was in build 39x and now started to use it again at 998 build, so never been able to make it work with DK2, and that said... i'm not wasting any more time on trying to set it up, too much hours spent already.

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Same here with rift & rf2

To many hours wasted I'll never get back, I'll never bother again
    The only time I'll bother with rf2 again is when full rift implementation from Isi

Iracing now has a strong portion of members using VR only ( & that's only the dk2 it will quickly grow when cv1 released )