Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. crz

crz Registered

Did you get any 3d mode to work? I'm stuck with 3d reconstruction set to off and all I get is a flat image. As far as I remember this is also what I got with the last version so I assumed they didn't work on rF2 support. Your post however made me interested again :)

2. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Not sure what you mean by 3D ! You are correct, I cant Change 3d reconstruction but it Looks great.

Motiontracking , positional tracking is working fine and I can look around in the car. I am not feeling looking on a big Screen like "Virtual Display"
    Steering wheel a Little big to big but so far it is better then driving with my Screen ;-)

Regards
    Sven

3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Yeah Vorpx doesn't support RF2 in geo3d mode so there's no 3d to speak of.

I wish tridef would update for DK2, its by far better than Vorpx.

4. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Hi, I cant get enough driving rfactor 2 with the Oculus. The AI and FFB is just great and all working fine, except the 3D mode.
    In the Vorpx Forum the programer mentioned that he will have a look into this to see what is possible.

He can not provide a time Frame but VorpX seems to support rfactor and he suggested to try to rename the exe-file to rfactor. Tried it but doesnt work.
    Do you might have an idea on whether this is prossible ? renaming the rfactor2.exe to rfactor.exe and start then rfactor 2 as normal !
    +
    Sounds like Vorpx is looking for the rfactor.exe file to trigger the 3d function. Not sure whether it is working (I doubt), but at least worthwhile a Trial-

Somebody might have an idea

Regards
    Sven

5. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I don't think we can rename it (I've tried a couple of ways) we have to wait for Vorpx to add rfactor2.exe to the list of games it hooks into.

Just so you guys know nVidia drivers now support the oculus in 3D vision mode, it just doubles the image and warps it so there's no real 3D yet but that should come later, at the moment there is close to zero frame rate impact.

6. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Hello Adrian, thanks for the information.
    regarding Nvidea: I heard that the latest driver is causing problems in extended mode. Current advise is not to install it.

7. crz

crz Registered

I have stopped fiddling around with rF2 and the rift because none of the solutions seemed to work in 3d. Now that I had some time to spend I started TriDef again to see if I really checked everything. I must have missed the game profiles on my first try because now rF2 was in 3d! Not sure how I could have missed that or if there just wasn't a rF2 profile at that time, my memory isn't very good ;)

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Needless to say I was delighted and went out for some laps. I noticed a severe performance impact beyond unusable which is very sad. With the headtracking plugin and the VR UI rF2 would be very usable for serious driving with the rift.

Just did a quick test in the pits at Sebring:

TriDef and Oculus Rift:
    Max settings (no AA): 34
    Min settings (no AA): 48

2d on a single screen (also 1920x1080):
    Max settings (no AA): 108
    Min settings (no AA): 178

I'm running a single 780ti btw. Just wanted to know how big the performance impact is for you, maybe I am missing something (hope dies last).

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

shame, integrated support around CV1 release, I'm sure it will be worth the wait

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  9. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

I do not own an Okulus Rift DK2 so far - but I'm closely watching this thread an get one as soon it is working and you could drive races with it.

What I would be interested is what resolution did you use on your DK2 for the performance comparison - 960x1080 per eye? Does RF2 have tomrender the two images or is this being done by the DK2?

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I don't know the exact numbers, but I got >75 FPS with tridef+plugin @1920x1080 and almost max settings @ Nordschleife + 10 AI URD GTEs. I have a 780TI too. What I know is that sebring is very CPU dependent and IIRC I don't get good FPS at sebring too. >75 FPS is very important otherwise you get stuttering. FPS hungry settings are shadows and environment reflections on my system.

11. gkz

gkz Registered

the question is is it better than the plugin ?

12. ronirock-co

ronirock-co Registered

Hi Vittorio, thanks for your plug in (sorry about my english). I have been trying to make my DK2 function with rF2 and followed step by step the instructions but have one problem and is that when entering in a race i the images for the eyes are not aligned, i mean, when centered (look down press) if i close one eye i see for example the right mirror while closing the other i see the left part of the wheel. Same problem with rF1. What am i doing wrong? i would really appreciate your help since i've been trying to make it work for a week without succeeding (i know little about computers so i am slow a it).

Thanks Ron.

13. ronirock-co

ronirock-co Registered

Hello everyone, i have the following problem. When in a race one image presented to one eye is not close to the one presented to the other, for example, if i close one eye i see what is in my left and when i close the other i see what is in my front. I need your help cause i am not good with computers and have spent over a week reading the instructions carefully. The demo of the DK2 works fine.

Thanks for your help and sorry about my english

14. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

are you using the plugin only or as well Vorpx ?
    regardless it sounds like a eye distance IPD is not correct. Had the same problem.Pictures not matching and you get fuzy ;-)
    If you use the plugin only, then adjust the IPD value in the Oculus config.
    If you use Vorpx, enter the Vorpx config by pressing the DEL key (I assume that was the right )
    Once you see the menue, move on the top of the menue to the menue where you can see the IPD distance.
    Currently travelling , hence I dont know the right name.
    Below the distance you can find a calibration menue. Click that and a cross will appear which you can adjust with the cursor keys.
    Once completed , your problem should be gone
    Regards
    Sven

15. ronirock-co

ronirock-co Registered

Thank you for your help svenh007. What happens is that i don get the image splitted into two similar images for each eye in the oculus. Instead i have a complete image. when i try No limits Rollecoaster i do get two images so it works fine but before no limits start i get the message "VR device detected. Do you want to start in VR mode?" if i click yes it works fine, if i click no i get the same problem that i have with rf. In rf i don`t get the option to start in VR mode so i`m stucked.. is very frustraiting

16. Miro

Miro Registered

The last time I tried the plugin I couldn't manage it to get it working propperly. It did work, but the proportions were not spot on.
    Now that is some time ago and I'd like to know if somebody really could manage to get it really spot on working?

I haven't bought the additional software one needs after fiddeling around with the 2 weeks demo then.
    Has anybody really good results with it now?

I've seen the video in this thread now and it doesn't look bad although it is rf1 I guess.

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ulus-dk2-extended-desktop?p=332678#post332678

17. crz

crz Registered

I had to alter the FOV, world scale and depth level in TriDef to make it look OK. It wasn't perfect but certainly usable. Sadly I had performance issues when I tested at Sebring so I've put it aside again.

I wouldn't call it spot on, AC and LFS definitely looked better.

18. crz

crz Registered

I'm glad you are right, I tried another track and it runs really smooth. :)

However I wasn't happy with your recommendations regarding FOV and world scale. If I use the values you suggested everything is too big and I get a strong warping effect. When I set the output FOV to 110, the game FOV to 135 and the world scale to 0.11 it seems to be more like real life size and the warping disappears completely. 135 is the max FOV I can set and I need to move the seat position quite a bit forwards but this is the only setting I don't experience any warping. I don't know if there are any drawbacks with such a high FOV other than I have to move the seat.

Over at AC forums there is a suggestion to run AC with a modified sweet FX setting which makes it much easier to spot things in the distance with the rift. There is little to no FPS impact because it only sharpens the image a bit, no fancy effects other than that. When I have some spare time I try to fiddle with sweet FX and find a similar improvement for rF2 but I'm totally unfamiliar with it. Not sure if that is possible to recreate with rF2.

Edit:
    Found another drawback with large FOV, cars the mirrors look way off. Not a big issue though.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  19. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

How do you change the FOV bigger > 100 or chsnge the world scales in rf2 ? I cant get more then 100.

And if you can ecplain me how to setup Sweetfx in Rf2, that would be great.
    SweetFx is making a BIG difference in AC and installed sweetfx in rf2 but I dont see any difference but I doubt it is working

20. crz

crz Registered

Those are TriDef settings. I don't know if you can change the FOV like that or what the equivalent setting for world scale is called in VorpX. Since rF2 and VorpX don't work in 3D I doubt you can alter the world scale or whatever it's called there.

i can recommend getting TriDef if you want rF2 in 3D. Ralf is telling us he will look into rF2 for a long time and VorpX isn't updated very often. I gave up tbh and I regret buying it since I wanted to use VorpX only for rF1 and rF2. Maybe some day...

I didn't try SweetFX yet, was too busy driving :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2015