Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Adrian

Adrian Registered

@Jerry Luis, i'll try answer some of those questions
    [​IMG]
    In the rift you can't see the edges of the visor that are cut off.

I've driven for an hour at a time, no nausea or eye strain. Using a H-shifter feels fine as your not really concentrating on what your arms are doing, most of your vision is taken up with looking where your going.

If you get your wheel and the in game wheel in about the same place its good enough to trick your brain into thinking it's real, unless your specifically looking at the in game arms trying to find differences.

One of the funniest thing about putting other people in the Rift has been that without fail all of them have tired to grab or point at something they can see but no one else can :)

It made me motion sick in a few demos (mainly FPS) when I first got it but after easing into it slowly now I can do anything without motion sickness (Driving and flying games have never given me any hint of discomfort even from the beginning)

2. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Thanks Adrian.
    This pic look amazing but is this a screenshot from in game? Like when we push F12 and rf2 save on a default folder?
    Maybe i miss something (language barrier perhaps), but as fas as i understand the rift only has one display and that double image is from the lens witch give the 3d effect. Hope you understand me. Like, its not 2 displays showing different images, but one display witch have physically divide by the lens, so i was expecting one whole image.
    I will tell you how i solve my natural feeling of motion sickness in FPS games in two words: sniper/camping
    lol
    I don´t expect any improvement by rift (au contraire) in this matter, but i´m really curious. I never enjoy much flying simulators but after seeing an youtube video from some guy, this is something i really want to try again because flying simulators seems to have spectacular immersion.

3. phy1212

phy1212 Registered

Does anyone no why I cant see the tridef settings? I got head-tracking and everything thing else working but when i try and open the tridef options during game play nothing happens.

I start Rf2RiftOccupy.exe, then open up Tridef, clicked rfactor2 shortcut on my desktop, headtracking gets released, but the tridef menu doesnt pop up when numbers are pressed

4. elbo

elbo Registered

I think that is where you are making your mistake you must not start rfactor2 from the rfactor2 shortcut on your desktop. You have to start rfactor from within tridef by clicking the rfactor2 icon in the tridef window.

give that a try.

5. phy1212

phy1212 Registered

ok got it working now thanks

6. Jos

Jos Registered

theres a new version of tridef and the headtracking seems all weird now...

hmm seems better with just the default .plr now...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2013
  7. Jos

Jos Registered

the head-tracking keeps getting off center, any way to fix?

8. krivjur

krivjur Registered

After Ignition 3.7.7b1 you can turn off the tracking in HMD-Head Tracking and sensor should be free for the rF2Rift plugin (no need for rF2RiftOccupy anymore). Seemed to work fine for me with .plr altered like in OP.

If Vittorio implements the re-center (but not re-calibrate) functionality, it should help with drift issues a bit while driving. On short runs (calibrating at start of run) that I've managed to do, the drift hasn't been that bad, but still is a bit hit and miss depending how much you move the head around.

9. elbo

elbo Registered

Go get the update to open track in this thread and enjoy relatively drift free racing.
    http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17968

I use open track + tridef + Vittorio's modified HUD and the player file mods that he outlines and I must say that now I can finally see the promise VR holds for racing Sim. When we get a higher resolution version of the rift things will be right amazing

10. Jos

Jos Registered

how do i make it work with open track?

11. elbo

elbo Registered

Download the latest open track from the thread above (its on the last page).
    Unpack it on your pc.
    Start open track.
    Choose rift from the pick down menu.
    In the curves menu, adjust as outlined in the open track thread above.
    Assign a key for centering.
    If you have removed trackir plugin from rfactor plugin directory put it back.
    Start rf2 and enjoy.
    Make sure you have the latest oculus SDK and run the calibrate in it at least once before you start open track.

12. Jos

Jos Registered

oops i didnt make a backup of my trackir plugin, can any one upload please?

13. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

14. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

Btw, i got my rift and manage to install every thing and making work with rf2. I could bet this is the future for simracing but not with the resolution we have now (only thing that forbid to keep playing only with the rift). When well setup, the immersion is simply amazing. No nausea for me too as Adrian told.
    The helmet view was turned off in this new build?

15. Jos

Jos Registered

thanks.

but yea the resolution needs to go higher, and i dont think 1080p will be enough.

16. elbo

elbo Registered

Resolution will definitely be the next step for simracing with a rift type device.

Eliminating the drift has at least made it possible to enjoy the immersion provided by the rift. The future is looking good, though a little pixelated at this point.

17. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Any plans for a new plugin with the new SDK? It seems to have solved all drift issues in other games (like iracing). Open track is drifting for me, and the headtracking seems laggier.

Still, I just had a race with the old plugin on poznan with a full grid of historic f3s and it's truly mindblowing, even with some drift. So much easier to race close in a pack, and the feeling is incredible.

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, it's time to do a new plugin version with the new SDK.

19. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

That is great news! Actually, opentrack does work fine without drift as long as Yaw Spring is turned off. The head tracking does not feel as smooth as your plugin though, even at very high fps.

20. elbo

elbo Registered

Excellent news. Looking forward to it.