Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

ATTENTION: plugins, tools and descriptions are outdated! Don't try with CV1 or latest runtime versions. (>0.6)

New: Early Testversion Rf2Rift V3.0 test1 for DK2 and DK1

To download the latest Rf2Rift V3.0 (for rFactor2) and get installation instructions follow this post:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ugin-and-Tools?p=301689&viewfull=1#post301689

For rFactor1 and Game Stock Car 2012 users: Rf2Rift V3.0 got ported to rFactor1. To download Rf1Rift V3.0 (for rFactor1) and get installation instructions follow this post:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ugin-and-Tools?p=301690&viewfull=1#post301690

Version Rf2Rift V2.0 test4 for DK1

If you have calibrated your Rift with Oculus SDK v0.2.5 use this version!

To download the latest Rf2Rift V2.0 (for rFactor2) and get installation instructions follow this post:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ugin-and-Tools?p=223865&viewfull=1#post223865

For rFactor1 and Game Stock Car 2012 users: Rf2Rift V2.0 got ported to rFactor1. To download Rf1Rift V2.0 (for rFactor1) and get installation instructions follow this post: http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ugin-and-Tools?p=223981&viewfull=1#post223981

Old Version Rf2Rift V1.0

Rf2Rift V1.0 Installation and usage

Assuming your rFactor2 installation dir is: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2
    and your Packages dir is: C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Packages

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin installation

• Download Rf2Rift_1_0.zip (see Attachments) and extract
    • Copy Rf2Rift_1_0.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Plugins
    • Remove the file C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Plugins\TrackIR_rF2_Plugin.dll to avoid a conflict (keep a backup)
    Change following settings in C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.PLR:

Glance Rate="200.00000" // Rate to follow controller for glancing
    Look Up/Down Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look up/down (pitch) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Look Roll Angle="1.00000" // Angle to lean head (roll) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Glance Angle="1.00000" // Angle to look left/right (yaw) w/ controller in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Lookahead Angle="0.00000" // Angle to lookahead (yaw) w/ steering in radians (= degrees / 57)
    Head Rotation="1.00000" // Additional head physics multiplier affecting rotation only
    Exaggerate Yaw="0.00000" // Visually exaggerates the heading angle of the vehicle by rotating the head (which may improve "feel")

Cockpit Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint position (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq1="0.00000" // Primary rate of vibration affects eyepoint position (higher framerates allow higher rates)
    Cockpit Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary aerodynamic vibration multiplier affects eyepoint orientation (base magnitude is in VEH or cockpit file)
    Cockpit Vibration Freq2="0.00000" // Secondary rate of vibration affects eyepoint orientation
    Car Vibration Mult1="0.00000" // Primary engine vibration multiplier affects position of cameras attached directly to the car
    Car Vibration Mult2="0.00000" // Secondary engine vibration multiplier affects orientation of cameras attached directly to the car

Wait For All Plugins To Load="1" // in single-player, delay race starts until all plugins load

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Headtracking Plugin usage

I assume you have Tridef beta with Oculus Rift support installed (see Tridef beta installation and settings below). Since Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1 there is no need for Rf2RiftOccupy.exe anymore. Using the latest Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1 version therefore is important.

Sensor calibration

The "Look Down" key is used for calibration. Assign it to a button on your wheel so it is easily accessible:
    SETTINGS->CONTROLS->CAMERA and assign "Look Down" to a button on your wheel.

When you press the Look Down button (in car) the headtracker gets recentered and calibration starts.
    Look left past 90 degrees and hold it for a second. Return to center. Look right past 90 degrees and hold it for a second. Return to center. Finally look up past 90 degrees and hold it for a second. You should see a message "Oculus Rift calibration finished."

Known problems

When entering a practice, qualifying or race session the plugin doesn't work for the first ~13 sec. This is a known limitation of the rF2 plugin system and according to ISI this time won't get removed. If you are prone to motion sickness it's best to not move your head during that time. Wait for the message "Oculus Rift is ready." (AFAIK there is no message after restart race). Keep your head straight when you enter or leave a practice, qualifying or race session.

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD installation

(Like every other rfcmp):
    • Download riftmultidial_0_8.zip (see Attachments) and extract
    • Copy riftmultidial_0_8.rfcmp to C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Packages
    • Start rFactor2 Launcher
    • Click Manage Mods
    • Check Viewing: Components
    • Select Rift Multi Dial
    • Click Install
    In rFactor2 Single Player:
    • Enter CUSTOMIZE->ONCSCREEN DISPLAY
    • Select RIFTMULTIDIAL

rFactor2 Oculus Rift Customized HUD usage

The customized HUD is needed to be able to see necessary informations in race. These are:
    Flags and symbols (top left). Messages (top). The HUD MFD (bottom right, access with key 6 by default) and the HUD Stats (bottom, access with key 4 by default). Virtual mirrors aren't visible, they would break immersion anyway.

Tridef beta installation and settings

Follow http://www.tridef.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3907 for installation.

These settings are known to provide good results (using Tridef 3D V5.10 and Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1):

rFactor2:
    • SETTINGS->DISPLAY->VERTICAL FOV: 95
    Tridef (use key 0 on the numeric keypad to get access to the Tridef settings, navigate and change via numkey cursor keys and 5):
    • 3D->Scene Depth: 50
    • 3D->Custom Focus: On
    • 3D->Near Plane: 0
    • 3D->Far Plane: 100
    • HMD->World Scale: 0.06
    • HMD->Force FOV: Output
    • HMD->Output FOV: 100
    • HMD->OSD Depth: 0.50
    • HMD->OSD on HMD: On
    • HMD->Output Quality: High
    • HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! Restarting rfactor2 after setting this is needed!

More informations and troubleshooting

If you are new to rFactor2 or Tridef, need more informations or need troubleshooting, following post probably is helpful:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ugin-and-Tools?p=244066&viewfull=1#post244066

History
    • 15.08.2013: Initial release. Rf2Rift V1.0, riftmultidial V0.8
    • 16.08.2013: Added to installation description to remove TrackIR_rF2_Plugin.dll
    • 16.08.2013: Added Tridef Ignition 3.7.6 beta 4 settings
    • 13.11.2013: Added link to Rf2Rift V2.0 test4
    • 25.11.2013: Updated instructions for Tridef Ignition 3.7.7 Beta 1 (by using this version there is no need anymore for Rf2RiftOccupy.exe)
    • 25.01.2014: Added link to Rf1Rift V2.0 test1. Plugin for rfactor1.
    • 25.01.2014: Added Game Stock Car 2012. GSC 2012 is known to work with Rf1Rift. (GSC 2013: doesn't work with Tridef)
    • 04.04.2014: Added More informations and troubleshooting
    • 25.08.2014: Added link to Rf2Rift V3.0 test1 and Rf1Rift V3.0 test1 for DK2 and DK1
    • 19.03.2016: Warning for CV1 users and new runtime versions

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2016
  2. elbo

elbo Registered

Hi Vittorio,
    I could not make the head tracking work.
    I mapped the calibration key.
    I get the message oculus rift is ready
    I get the message to look left, right, and up and that calibration is finished.
    After i get no head tracking when looking around.
    head tracking in tridef is off as you indicated
    any idea?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Do you have tracking when the plug in starts and lose it after the calibration? Or just not have it at all?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

4. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, very good question Adrian. Reading the problem description it seems like that. (I would have missed that). Is this the case elbo?

Thinking loud:
    If you get "Calibration is finished." means: Rf2Rift Plugin is loaded, Rf2Rift has control of the tracker and not Tridef.
    You have changed the player.PLR? You have Win8, Andrian and I have Win7. This is a difference. Maybe I should make a verbose plugin to find problems ...

Anyway, Adrian got the right question.

5. Adrian

Adrian Registered

It was working fine for me yesterday, when I got home from work there was no head tracking, I hadn't changed anything. After playing around a bit I got it to work again by moving the trackIR plugin out of the folder. Moving the plugin in and out of the folder I was able to reproduce the error. Maybe sometimes the trackir gets the camera control and sometimes the rift plugin does. Maybe give this a try elbo

6. elbo

elbo Registered

I am using Win 8, maybe the problem stems from this.
    I have modified the plr but I will double check to make sure I did this correctly.
    I don't have tracking when the plugin starts but clearly it is tracking something because it is recognizing the calibration steps.

I will give what Adrain did a try and see if that helps.

Thanks for the responses.

7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Good catch Adrian! When I started to develop Rf2Rift I removed TrackIR_rF2_Plugin.dll to avoid any conflict and never put it back in. When I finished devel I did a 1h endurance fun leage race at SR4L without any problem and was quite confident to release it. Now I put the dll back in and in fact 5 times out of 5 tests there was no headtracking but there are calibration and ready messages like elbo describes. So very likely this was the problem (maybe there's still a Win8 issue). I'm updating the installation descriptions now and later test the new Tridef version :)

8. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Oculus released a new Oculus Rift Software Development Kit yesterday. Maybe calibration is a thing of the past. (There's a lot of going on ATM, new Tridef and new SDK :) )

Version 0.2.4 8/15/2013

New Features

Added magnetometer calibration tool to the Oculus Config Utility. Saved calibration data can be used by Oculus SDK to automatically correct for yaw drift.
    Saved magnetometer calibrations are associated with a specific sensor serial number and are now automatically loaded by SensorFusion class.
    Saved magnetometer calibration data will now automatically be used by applications built with the SDK, including C++ and Unity samples.
    Improved SensorFusion prediction logic. Less jitter at slow speeds; better performance for longer prediction intervals.
    Added gamepad support on Linux in C++ and Unity samples.

9. Adrian

Adrian Registered

Any chance of a plugin for rf1 Vittorio? :-D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Ok :) Just did a port to rF1 (Rf1Rift) and it already seems to work better than Rf2Rift because of better FPS in rF1 and theres not the "13 sec no plugin" bug in rF1. Still trying to solve one minor bug and will release tomorrow.

11. cookie

cookie Registered

Thanks Vittorio for this it works great,I get a little stutter with the head tracking nothing like the new Tridef version.[ Tridef 3d performance 140 fps] with a 7970 card .

12. mauserrifle

mauserrifle Registered

Just tried it. Love it :) Thanks for your work on this!

I actually like rFactor 2 much better than iRacing with the rift, especially with this plugin. Dunno why. Feels better and the low resolution is much less disturbing in rFactor 2. Great work :D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  13. elbo

elbo Registered

Vittorio,
    Just to let you know that your plugin works great.
    Will you be posting the rf1 plugin here when it is ready?

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

That's great elbo, which also means it works in Win8 too. I will release Rf1Rift in the rfactor1 forum section but will make a post here too. Unfortunately it takes more time than expected. I'm struggling with some occasional bad stutters in the first 1-2 laps in rFactor1 like some parts of the track needs to get loaded when moving head? Needs more investigations and tests ..

15. Adrian

Adrian Registered

I don't have any of this when using TrackIR with RF1. You can PM me a copy if you want tests on a couple of different machines

16. cookie

cookie Registered

Hi,rifters had some great races with the AI. Have to set race start type to formation/standing/grid pos last so you can set head tracking calibration then hit space standing start.[putnam park skip barber]. This is the most use my rift has had thanks to Vittorio ;)

17. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get this working.

I followed the directions step by step and couldn't get it working correctly. So I uninstalled and reinstalled everything to start from scratch, same problem.

My rFactor2 game screen goes mostly black for some reason and I never get head tracking. I can read some text menus, enough to get into a race, but all graphical items are gone. But once I get into the race everything on screen looks fine. I don't get any head tracking, even though the Rf2Rift program detects everything.

Not sure what to do, I know it's probably something little that I'm missing with Tridef 3D or something since it's my first time using it.

18. Adrian

Adrian Registered

You need to turn 3d off in the menus and then turn it back on when you get in game. I've remapped the 3d on/off in tridef to the F12 key. Also how long are you waiting for head tracking in-game (it takes about 15-20 seconds to start working). Last thing to check would be to make sure the TrackIR plugin has been removed from the plugins folder

19. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

Ok, I'll give that a shot tomorrow morning. Thanks for the info!

There was one point where I waited about 5 minutes in the car. So not sure what's going on there.

20. elbo

elbo Registered

I get a black screen if I turn on HDR. Maybe check and see if this is your problem.