[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. hoover

hoover Registered

Take care pleclair & thanks for all your hard work on this track. I think you can remove the btsync reference in the first post, I don't think that share is active anymore (Please correct me if I'm wrong).

All the best Uwe

2. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Thanks for the update Pleciar, the new surface is looking really good my friend and the dust has gone :) but the ai are quite slow again.

3. pleclair

pleclair Registered

What car are you driving? There are a few cars I can lead the AI, but with most cars, I still have problems keeping up over a distance.

The AI should be much better in this version that any other before tho... :)

Indeed, the dusty surface are all gone now. I have seen how they have done it in gtr evo, with overlays on top of the road, so I thought to be doing this later on as well. I'll add dust in the corners that should have them, on the outside of the track, as we see in many race videos on youtube. I was watching some gt3 race videos yesterday, and there was literally sand all over the place... only the racing line was pretty much clean... one notable location was in adenauer...

EDIT: If you are using any cars from ISI, you could send a youtube video of a 2 lap race with you starting last with couple of AI.. not that I dont believe you, I do, i'm not the greatest either, but I would be curious to see how you take on the track, I might be able to improve myself and improve the AIW further.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2014
  4. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Ive briefly tried the Brabham @120% and could get past them, would never happen with 1.62, but will have a lot more time this evening and will try the Cr6 out later on and maybe even the FR3.5 :D Thanks again Plecair.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, I see, that's highly possible... I can't drive those very well, I have no problems with the f3, I can keep up a while with the f2, and the f1 I would need more practice... but the brabham is something else :) That's the car I have most problems with.

But if you try the gts, the modern formulas, they should be faster. But again... the road surface is entirely different now, since I did the AIW... so maybe the AI doesnt push the new grippier surface as much as it could. There are few spots with bumps as well, and the AI doesnt look to get away from them, so maybe their braking in these cases are not as efficient as it would be...

Let me know how your testing goes. You could also give a try to the skip barber car... I know the AI is pretty darn good with it... I'm rather good with this car, and I'm having problems keeping up at 100%. There are some corners I can take faster than the AI, and some the AI takes it faster, so overall, the positions are pretty much stable over the course of a few laps...my races are mostly 2-5 laps, as I can't really spend much more time racing it anyway.

Another car the AI drives remarkably well is the free z4 by simdream... you could give this road car a try as well.

The t5 series from URD is also very tight.. yesterday I was doing a race, and after two laps, I was still at the same position, with the guy close behind me, and the AI in front as well... I crashed during the 2nd lap tho, getting back on the dottinger hohe... almost never happened there, but the stress was high :)

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Have you noticed the trees and skybox? I have redone all trees bump/spec maps with nDo2... they look much better than ever before! I've also set the opacity of the normal sphere around them to 40% instead of 80%... so the shading is much more natural.

I've removed the bump/spec of the skybox, as I couldnt tune the specular to look right at night.. so I set a simple t1 shader instead. And increased fog a bit to better blend the real mountains with trees with the skybox.

I also edited the textures, made them less saturated and smoothed out highlights and shadows, and repositioned it so it better matches reality...

I have also tuned the fresnel of the guardrails... they were appearing way too lit at night...

Night driving should be good again now.. the skybox is nice, the guardrails and fences as well.. I've seen a couple of objects flashes, that means they arent set to omni... but there is only a few of them... so its not that bad. It's perfectly fine to race at night anyway.

7. Kelju_K

Kelju_K Registered

1.65 works beautifully with all settings maxed out!!! Dunno what was the problem with 1.6 but it doesn't really matter now does it..

Thank you so much for your effort pleclair! Because of your commitment and hard work we have a beautiful and accurate (enough) version in rFactor 2 now.

You have done a HUGE favor for all of us rf2 racers and even for ISI imho because having this track increases the value of the game and might even be the reason why someone buys rF2.

Thanks again and i wish all the best for you and your family.

Kel

8. delapecs

delapecs Registered

+10000

this is what i want to transmit if my poor level of written english allows me ;)

PD: I'm a language parasite for this? :cool:

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I'm happy that the latest changes pleases you. I would have liked to lower the kerbstone as well, but as I've explained already, they are part of the terrain objects, and since I modded the terrain in my forests max files, I cannot use the terrain objects in my previous and only max file prior to starting the forests.

If I import the terrain objects out of the forests max file, and mod those, I won't be able to make them work with the terrain objects they are bound to (or at least, don't know how... as I've already ruined forests for all of the dottinger hohe when I first started... the first time I broke my terrain out of my main max file and into a new one with only the terrain objects...

I don't really want to ruin several days of work on the forests to do the kerbstones. I have more plans for the forests, so I need to keep the custom objects intact. I want to add more variety, and better match the trees closes to track with those with the real track.

So far, when I did them, I was following a satellite picture, so while it was easy to see areas more dense with pines or leafy trees etc... but it wasnt precise enough for those nearby track... Since I had so many crashes doing them with the max files being so heavy for 32bits, it somehow pissed me off, and I wanted to get them done as quickly as possible... so after around half the track, the trees starts to show off more outside fences and stuff... nothing that really kill the track, but I will clean this mess out.

I also want to make separate objects for those close to track and those further away.. this way I'll be able to fine tune the shadows, and remove shadows on trees far far away... At the moment, some forests are huge, and since some trees have shadows that can be visible from track, I set the whole objects (I cant really do otherwise) to cast shadows... so in these cases, plenty of trees casts unseen shadows, unless you start wandering in the forests that is :)

However, I want to those at top of mountains to keep casting shadows, as it really adds a lot to the track... when you drive at times where the sun hits those trees! Like driving early in the morning, when the sun is just over the top of the mountain at breidscheid make beautiful long shadows on the road in front... :)

There might be places where I will keep them if I see it doesnt look as good without them... like that particular mountain at breidscheid... might keep them all, since we drive right in front of it, and come rather close... it might be quite noticeable if no trees on this mountain cast shadows... Those on the back are another story.

The trees are what makes this track, so I really will put some time into them... (I already did quite a lot, but its not as I would like to)

Something I noticed by playing evo and looking at real video... places like fuschrore, the trees should be much closer to the track... in our version, they are too far away... I think there is too much room on either side before the trees starts... so while I cant really make the track itself accurate, I will try to make the surroundings as good as I can.. so in the long run, you can expect to see the proper kind of trees with the proper heght for those close to track, and I've already made zones with more pines, more leafy (2 level of pines, and 1 leafy with little pines), but I will be going over them more in details later when I can work in 64bit.. given that I keep working on it.

I really wish to keep working on it actually... it would pain me to have to stop working on it, before I can say, I'm satisfied, and can no longer improve it myself, so here is the stuff, make it look even more awesome :) Too many times in my life I had to abandon something for different reasons, so I really would like to "finish" this.

At least, the bigger part of the job will be done already.

You guys have been awesome to me, even tho I could have been flamed many times, you understood I wasn't a modeler nor an artist and been patient with all my mistakes, specially during the coloring of the textures, when I had that bad monitor. The track must have looked weird for most of you with good monitors! Anyway, I can't thank you enough, and you are all part of the reason why this went so far... without all your comments, it would have never happened.

10. delapecs

delapecs Registered

totally agree with the trees.

I am lucky to be given 4 laps Nords with my car and I remember the trees closer to the track and higher than rounded.
    I hope one day you can drive on it, the last lap I gave scares me.
    If you have not been afraid in the Nords you have not gone fast, or something like that.

Ah! thank you for remove the dust, my overall feel is way better

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Yes, I would really enjoy going there at least once in my life... for hopefully more than 1 lap :) Riding the ring taxi would be an incredible experience I also believe!

This is something I also noticed yesterday while re-watching for the x times the michael schumacher lap on it, the trees are damn high at some places. After receving many comments about tree sizes before, I lowered them a tad when I did the forests. I will see to this too.

I also agree with you, I believe the Ring (with an uppercase R) cant be fully tamed... every lap is a little different and crashes are bound to happen in every corner.. that is if you really push it.

I don't race other tracks since I started this, I simply cannot find another track like it... my previous favorite was belgium... same kind of track, high speed, lots of corners, long track, but it was missing elevation changes.. Nord as everything, with a few lower speed corner, but you fly for most of the track, which I really enjoy. You also have jumps to top it off! The only thing missing is a loop as was mentioned as a joke before :)

My favorite corner at the moment is angst kurve (or mut-kurve, this corner seems to have two names)... with the dallara, you enter it at full speed, with only a slight lift off of the throttle and you push it again fully and take the corner at 280-285!

Regarding the dust, I agree, too. After driving the track like this, I also think it is better. The way it was done before with the whole width of the track covered in dust was unreal and made some corners like Schikane way too slippy compared to now. It was obvious the moment I tried the new surface.

However, I still think there should be dust, on the outside, in some corners.. like we see in evo, and we see in real life videos too... So later, I will do dust overlays in some corners, and those spots will be lower in grip.

Regarding grip, after a while running a track and building rubber, the outside naturally becomes more slippy... so I will likely make the dust patches (might have different levels of dusts too) more or less the same... so it wont prevent you from running at full tilt on the fast path like it was before when it covered the whole width, and sometimes large sections... like pretty much all between Schikane and t13...

EDIT: Something that would be awesome tho, is if real road would be taken to the next level. For instance, when running out of track and back in, it could reveals a second texture beside the groove, which would be a dust or sand texture. It could be set to clear out on it own if no one steps outside again at this location for a while and with people running over it to dissipate... then those spot could lift up dust in the air when running over it.

Another thing, we need to set the racesurface object to deform, but what does it really means? I thought it would deform the racesurface like create ondulation and such over time, but it doesnt seem to do this... this would be another great thing to simulate.

To top it off, why not add like an extension to real road, and when you run the track set to autosave, so the track progressively rubber out over different sessions, it could also age the surface... lighten up the surface on the fast path, create cracks and up to potholes (reveal a cracked texture, so a third texture to reveal, well 4th with the marbles)... that would be awesome!

I don't see why this couldn't be done, and it would really take real road to a next level! We see how real road is important, when you race other games/sims... it really adds a lot.. visually, and physically... so adding that kind of stuff would only separate it further from the rest!

12. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Same thing happens to me, I try other circuits, spa, imola, interlagos and tracks, transfagarasan, targa florio and some more are incredible, but quickly return to the Ring

(My PRECIOUS!!! ... My PRECIOUS!!! ... with golum's voice)

Edit: Oh, wait, there are a lot of dust in the white/red kerbs. I remember it were clean with German engineering :rolleyes:

Edit2: Wooooaahh!! With the HDR Profile Bloom1 from Tosch I have 0 dust but with truelightHD or Bloom2 profiles I have a tons of dust !!! At last a race with no dust at all !!
    It makes me crazy since I realise :D

13. delapecs

delapecs Registered

pleaclir, something extrange here. When I change de HDR profile sometimes have no dust, but when exit the game an re-enter I have dust again. Seems that change HDR affects something who turns dust invisible. It's possible?

14. gagipro

gagipro Registered

The racesurface should not contain the curbstones... If it´s the case that's not good.

Depends how you did it, perhaps you can separate from racesurface by matID.

I face this issue everytime when I port tracks from rf1 badly designed track.

15. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Even more strange! In the same race the dust disappears. Seems to have to do with changes in camera and use Ctrl-X to advance the time. Suddenly the dust disappears but when I return to reenter the game appears again without changing the HDR profile or anything else.

16. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Have you seen this video? It's only 720p but it's not going as fast as the Schumacher video, I think.

17. delapecs

delapecs Registered

Look at this screenshots, the same curve, the same hdr, the same settings at all, only restart race and ocasionally Ctrl-x (not reproducible by demand)

One with no dust (perfect imho)

View attachment 13069

And one with tons of dust

View attachment 13070

Seems to be something that are causing dust disapearing !

FYI i'm running nvidia 3d vision, i try with 3d off if i can reproduce.

18. pleclair

pleclair Registered

No the race surface contains nothing but the track.. the kerbstone are part of the terrain, and the curb are separate as well.

19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, the part you are showing me should generate dust normally. It is still set in the TDF, and I have made it smaller than it was, by a good margin, and it seems it is still too large... I will see that only small puff lift off... like I did in the karussel, thought I did it on those parts as well..

I'll see to this..

20. delapecs

delapecs Registered

But it's not a determinate curve, it's in all the track. When the dust dissapears, it's not showing any more in whole track.
    Why I said that it had improved my feelings