[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

No, you are right, they aren't done yet. Since I started from scratch and created my own newly named terrain objects, I couldn't simply use the reflections settings I had before. So I somehow forget to add them back.

Should be present in the next update tho.

Thanks for mentioning it, might have gone forgotten again!

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmmm, I have heard the term before, but I take it haves to do with object made with splines? before they are converted to edit poly?

I have still much to learn :) I haven't read much about it, since I wasn't dealing with splines at all before.

But again, even now, the objects (guardrails) aren't made of splines, I outline the 4 border edges, and create 4 shapes, then the script turns those 4 shapes into a mesh with the settings I tell it to. So I can get roughly the same size of edges across all sections of guardrails, so face mapping looks all the same.

Could you tell me a bit more, without writing a 20 mins post?

Maybe a link to a fitting tutorial?

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

Basically what it does it unwraps the uv's of an object based on the shape of a spline. This spline can be anything, in your case, the bottom of the guardrail would be ideal.

Actually a video made for rFactor, but that is just a coincidence.

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, I'm happy you've showed me this! Turns out my face mapping was wrong as well. With a 1:1 tile, the 3.25 meter long edges were too small, so I set the tiling to 0.5 or something so it was showing up larger. Since I didn't tried them in game yet, and 3dsmax doesnt show the best texture quality, I thought everything was right... but after I unwrap one to see how it was made, I noticed that each panel were in fact using 0.5 of the total width of the texture.. makes sense.. but when you don't know :)

So I watched the video, and did similar to my guardrail. I had to use different xform settings obviously, but it turned out right. Sigh, I'm too eager to see them in game :) I thought I was almost finished (I was getting to the karussel), but I have to remap the facemap and finish the rest :)

I should have known, I thought that face mapping was great after all, and was moving at a nice pace!

5. RNeves

RNeves Registered

Great to have you back in business, Pleclair!!!

The track is even better than i expected it would become!!!

Are you planning to include the 24h version later??

Cheers!!

6. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, it turns out spline mapping isnt exactly the solution for the guardrails either.

It might be useful for the racegroove mapping, but it's not precise enough for guardrails, where things need to be 100% straight. In corners, the spline mapping skew a little bit. So we see a bit of the guardrails above or below it.

So what I do instead, from scratch: (might help others in the same situation)

I select the top border edge of the guardrail, and create of smooth shape out of it. Then I apply a UVUnwrap modifier to the guardrail I just created the shape of, go into face mode, click the spline mapping button, select the spline, change to planar and commit. Then I apply an uv xform mod on top, set the rotation to center before entering 90 degrees, otherwise it doesnt seems to work right, then I set my U tiling to whatever makes it look what I want, and set the V to approximately the height needed, this doesnt need to be precise at all.

Then I apply another UVUnwrap on top of the two, and this is where the guardrail get perfect... I straighten the slightly off uv shell, then move it to top of the 1:1, then go into vertex mode, select two bottom verts and loop the UVs, then I move that row to top, with a tool I have installed, polyunwrapper, I can move this by pixel on the map. So I set this to the size I need to fit the guardrail, and move the row of UVs there. Then I have a perfectly fitted guardrail in both direction, without stretching.

Then I select the whole shell and again with the move pixel, I move it down to the guardrail I need.

Perfect fit!

Hope it helps someone out!

EDIT: I haven'T found out a way to make sure tiling is exactly the same, since I have different sizes of guardrails, the tiling horizontally is approximate with my eyes... but what I do to maximize my chance of having it alright, I render a close of shot on the post, and make sure it is about the size I want it to be... anyone knows of a precise way to do this step?

7. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

You'r so awsome pleclair, wish you could get a mentor, like some of the ISI staff track maker or something like that to be able to chat with regarding small fundamental things in the process =)

Your dedication and heart for taking this project, it's crazy!

8. Hugo Gonçalves

Hugo Gonçalves Registered

Thks for the update GW

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Really nice, thanks! And thanks for sending this particular video... this is a good example of the fact that Nord is so hard to tame, if even possible at all... every lap, this is prone to happen... :) It must be excruciating racing this officially!

EDIT: And AWESOME setup!

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks!

Who knows? I'd be honored if that would ever happen.

But I'm rather happy of my progress, it's been a while since I have pondered at how to do things, beside the gp part of the track. With my share of the return tax money we got, I purchased the vol 3 of the trees I already got before. So that will give me some more unique variation to play with. Also, I have purchased nDo2 and dDo2. I have come to know about this fantastic software, and I will be learning about them soon too.

I have already created my first normal map entirely from scratch using nDo2 for the metal drains... this texture will likely be replaced, but I wanted to have something to try, and this seems perfect, since it had lots of different relief. bevels on the side, carved a little in the middle, with rounded rectangular holes and small bumps... and it turned out nicely!

When I'll be updating the first post, long due, I'll be listing the things I use, and where the textures comes from. It might be helpful for others too.

11. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Hey pleclair. Not sure if anyone else has already raised this up. I have a small graphical issue at various parts of the track above the tree line. I get a thin black line. I have also noticed this on other non ISI tracks. LVC has made a suggestion to another modeller: "Either make the bottom few pixel rows of the texture transparent, or tweak the top mapping to 0.98V or so. That should prevent it from wrapping around and is the prefered solution."

View attachment 12432

12. McFlex

McFlex Registered

What a shame. Such a nice progress so far and then you ruin it :( On such a track we don't need an "extra layer of danger". I allready heard a lot of people complain about the curbs.

I hope you rethink your decision.

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I was just about to post the same:)

14. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Sorry for criticism but the curbstones in the mod which are non existent on the real Nordschleife are a very bad idea in my opinion and everybody who i know thinks the same. I think a good mod has to lean on the real standart as far as possible.

But so far many thx for your work.

15. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

+1

16. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I have to agree here too regarding added curbstones. I feel sorry because they probably were a lot of work and look great, but it's all about realism for me and ~5-10 friends in my town (btw. they were all so happy to hear pleclair is here again. big nordschleife fans, we will be there again in 2 month :) ). cubbi's post is very interesting regarding the curbs:
    http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...st-v0-97n-beta?p=267013&viewfull=1#post267013

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  17. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

Hello pleclair
    Great to have you back and thanks a lot for the great track

loving it. Spend some ours with friends who visited me today and all said what an incredible piece of work.

However, there is was item which we were wondering about and which was raised in entry 2295 where the kerbstones are sometimes not flat.
    You mentioned that you dont want to change it but it brings another danger , but
    it would be great if you could rethink your decision, as on the real track, these
    are not existing. They would destroy the tires and could be dangerous for the driver.

Sure, that wont be in a simulation but there are some areas where with a having beat with another car , you can easily touch or scratch them. Can be really annoying.

Would be great to have these areas flat again

Besides that as I say a first class track

Regards
    Sven

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk HD

18. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Yes I have those too at some places.

What comes to conversation about curbstones. I would also prefer those to be like in real-life. However I wouldn't try to make this track to present a precise moment in time because it probably would be too difficult to get reference material from all places at the exact same month/year? So I'm happy if those added curbstones were there in real-life at some point. If not then I would consider again too.

I know it kind of sucks to be a modder restricted to realism but on the other hand rF2 is a true racing simulator and demands realism from tracks also - at least when we're talking about real-life counterparts. Fantasy tracks are another thing of course but still IMHO those should also follow realism (you know believable environment and not gravity from moon etc. :p). Difficult topic.

19. delapecs

delapecs Registered

+1

20. tjc

tjc Registered

+1