[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

"Cherry on top of the cake" or "icing on the cake".....both correct. ;)

2. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Great news:)

3. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

LOL!

Good to know he is fine and best wishes to Shumi as well!

4. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Great to hear he is ok

5. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

Good to know all is well for him. Thank you for the information.

6. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Indeed. Such a relief because truly believed something really bad had happened to him. Yeah I didn't care about THE track either and was just feeling sad because such a talented and motivated person seemed to be taken away from a work/hobby he was so passionate about. I mean with his enthusiasm, attitude, skill and ability to learn stuff he can become a professional track maker/3D artist if that's what he wants to do for a living.

Just hoping for a bright future for him no matter if it's with rF2/Nordschleife or not. He has already done such a huge favor for us all and I'm so thankful about that.

7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

The mystery had a happy ending. :)

enviado mediante tapatalk

8. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Yup, but i still can't imagine what must happen, that he's not inform us with a few words. Must gone through some big unexpected changes in the way of his living i believe, at least for a while or was happen just mix of unexpected circumstances.

9. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Well its non of our business of course but its not uncommon for people to be cut off from the internet for extended periods of time, could be loads of good and bad reasons.
    Contrary to popular believes having an internet connection is not a necessity of life (although I think the UN is contemplating just that)

10. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Thank the racing gods! Amen that he's ok!

Phew, thought he was signed or something else, like threatened, and needed to keep quiet.

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

as far as i know you have to have one when you want to use rF2 :confused: and with that knowledge it's close to a necessity of life :D

12. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

13. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Im so happy that Pleclair is still around and about to release a new update to his great track! This is seriously the best simracing news I have seen in a while. I was so sad that he might never return. Thank you Pleclair for your amazing work!

14. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Good news :cool:

15. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

This is so good to hear. Was worried about him. Glad it wasn't bad news, or rather glad whatever news it is he's here to be able to tell the tale.

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys!

Long time no see. I'm really sorry about the disappearance.

I do not wish to go into details, but you guys still deserve some explanations.

Going back to december, I worked pretty much the whole month non-stop, and I cut much into my sleep working really late on it, trying to meet the deadline I sort of set myself. Wanted to give you something for xmas. Althought I'm not really into xmas, it still meant much for me, as I felt you guys were awesome with me.

So, on xmas, my gf and son left for her parents for 3 days, and I stayed home working on this. This was the perfect time to really get some work done without any distractions. And it went rather well. On the 27th, when they came back, I had the whole terrain smoothed out. I was only left with the racesurface and curbs.

However, I thought it would go fast at that point, it wasn't such the case. So, they came back, brought fever and cold with them, and two days later, all three of us were having fever and feeling bad.

My son had all his habits changed, he sleeped with his mom over there, due to lack of extra bedroom... etc.

I tried to work but wasn't able to do anything good, as this type of work require good concentration. If you are distracted and do something else, it's hard to remember where you were, or even what you were doing sometimes.

To top it off, a few weeks later, when the cold was at its worst, my left leg started to hurt like crazy. I've been hit by a car some ten years ago and I have a metal rod and screws in my leg, and for the first time since the accident, I had a pretty rough time. Had problems walking, sleeping was hard.

Anyway, now it's been maybe 3-4 weeks now that my leg started to be okay again, so at least I can sleep better.

About the same time, we lost our internet due to overcharge... so we got tired of this crap and went for a provider that offered unlimited access, and got it yesterday. However after 3 hours it went offline until I dunno, this night or morning, it was online when i woke up.

The thing is, I read a lot of negative comment on them (after signing with them, but we don't have much choice, do we? Not much providers in our area), so I hope the downtime yesterday on the first day wasn't significant.

Well, I thought of making it short, but I somehow failed! But it is shorter than it could have been!

So what can you expect by downloading this 1.5 update of Nordschleife?

A lot!

I don't want to break any of the surprise, so that is all I will say for now, go ahead and download this:

https://mega.co.nz/#!RMx3GJAC!vKT2cJDHEKuyKSGfPLoceUPe6n78uiM2sG-plzkkvVw

As you can see, the filesize gone down considerably and I will be able to trim quite a bit more. I still have unused textures in the maps folder I need to clean up. But since they are still assigned to mats (not assigned to any polys), they are needed to load the track.

We can probably expect 50-100mb reduction still. Not too shabby.

The track itself should be around the same performance level as the latest update was. All I will say is, since I redone a whole lot of uv mapping, I decided to listen to advices and go for 2048 grasses ;) So this explains the filesize reduction and probably help the performance of the much heavier mesh.

Please note, there is still quite a bit to be done to match where I was before. I got some mats I will need to update as they was before, cause if you remember, I started from scratch this version. Only the objects (trees, bushes, signs, etc) have been imported from before, so those mats are fine.

The terrain mats are fine as well, it's stuff like paddock buildings and stuff.

Since there was heavy work on the whole terrain, some objects are now floating or deep in ground. I will need to do this one last time. I have already done the fences and guardrails, since those were the most problematic for this release.

The couple floating trees doesnt distract nearly as much as the floating fences and guardrails, since they are a lot closer to us.

Let me know your thoughts!

I will go into more details later today on what was done and what needs to be done exactly. I don't want to ruin the surprise :)

One question I had, when I packaged I felt the status of conversion wasn't really appropriate anymore, and scratch isnt exactly it either. What is the other one? Composite? Is it what I should pick? Or go scratch? I don't want to take full credits, and will still mention com8, but I feel the track is more of my own now than ever. The mesh itself is pretty much brand new.

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Oh, and dont worry if the first load takes forever... I haven't timed it, but my loading time was probably around 2 mins or so (slow hard drives, need an ssd badly... saving and loading the track is a nightmare).. it is substantially faster on subsequent loads.

So don't close the game thinking it is frozen, let it wait... :)

18. baked bean

baked bean Registered

Good to see you Pleclair and glad you are well, big thank you for this update, im downloading now. :)

19. Daytona 675

Daytona 675 Registered

Good news you are better now Plecair, many thanks for the new version.

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Agreed. This was the longest period of time I was without internet since I got it mid 90s...

It was almost like stopping smoking... At least I had my cellphone to use it a bit, but with 500mb per month, I reach the limit in a few hours by doing almost nothing.

Knowing we had the tax returns coming we didnt mind a bit of extra, as this was to be the last internet overcharge we are supposed to have.

I can't believe providers in the area are offering plans with 30 gb or so per months.. we had 90 and busted it almost every months. But changing providers is a bugger, and you don't want to lose the internet either. But when you don't have it no more, it wasn't as bad waiting for the new service... which took 2 weeks..

I just hope the service will be reliable.. I'm now using distributel for those who wonders.. was using bell. (for those that rings a bell :p)