[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I agree with you, but as it is, it's still far from the truth. The thing is, in it's current state, I cannot see how I can make it remotely drivable... the road mesh have about half the resolution the tourist had, except in some tight corners, then it gets crazy... and then you got branches... the branches I had in the tourist, were side road, that didnt needed to be connected to the road, so it didnt matter really, but since those are connected, and we will be running on them, they need to be as good as the mesh, but connecting so many edges together is a bit beyond what I can do at the moment... I could certainly do it a certain way, but the result won't be too good, if I even get this to drive smooth, I'm sure I will be running into mapping problems... keeping the mapping intact in regions like this, and redoing bunch of edges, is pretty hard... I was able to keep mapping intact for some terrain part, but some totally screwed up in the process of rewiring... I wasn't so careful in the parts were it is mapped planar, since it doesnt matter anyway, I was going to redo those, since they have different sizes anyway... but those that are unwrapped and straightened, I wanted to keep, since I'm not familiar enough to unwrap and straighten curved part like some I have...

If I was able to do that, that would open up the possibilities a lot... since I could basically redo some parts from scratch instead of trying to save a bad mesh... some parts were totally senseless... hard to believe they were made like this and not some sort of importing errors... I dunno if meshes we import without having the max file is the same as it was originally... but its really hard to believe it is....

I see... that I can do (trial and error :)) and now that I'm more comfortable altering and playing with existing meshes, I will certainly look into bringing some life into the flat track it became :) It's clearly missing some bumps!

EDIT: All the bumps that were put into the tdf are still present however... I might have tuned them down too much during the period were the mesh wasnt mesh smoothed, but only tessellated twice... so if I make them stronger in tdf, that could bring some bumps back before they are modelled. I won't be doing the bumps for the upcoming update, but after, so I'll likely check the tdf and see what I can do meanwhile.

2. tjc

tjc Registered

Jeez pleclair...

You must spend about as long typing out those monster posts as you do working on this monster track!!

:D

Impressive updates though.

Your work on this is really top drawer. :)

3. jimcarrel

jimcarrel Registered

You must be having at least some fun doing this, or you wouldn't have done this much so far.
    I can remember when I started learning Flash, it was so enthralling, I couldn't stay away from it.

Apparently you are doing the same with track modding, .... we sure are lucky that you are, Thanks!

4. Ddigital

Ddigital Registered

huge respect to pleclair! I just donated some money, not much but you deserve it either way.
    Looking forward to your next update.

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I know, I can write some pretty crazy posts :) I just hope I'm not too boring to read! What can I do... my girlfriend isn't too much into gaming, like almost none, so I cannot talk about this with her, and my son is still way too young :) So it's when I come here that I let myself go :)

Yes I am :) I always loved to learn, and I'm pretty much learning new things everyday. There are times harder than other... I was really bummed out when I found out the 24h layout wouldnt be possible for now... I hate telling things and they don't happen, that's why I usually wait until it happened to speak about it :) Oh well! It's not like it won't happen, it will only take a little more time. So going back to tourist was the better thing to do. But I thought of something tho... I will use the many gp objects in the tourist.. you know the many additional visitors on the side of the road, and the tent, etc... There are some pretty bad objects tho, so I'll skim thru the list. And I will likely add visgroups to those objects. So running max would load everything, high would load a little less visitors and such, and so on, and at low, it will be like it was before, with only the visitors tourist had originally. What do you guys think about this?

Thank you very much! Much appreciated! Like I always say, there is no small amount. This is gonna go toward my 2nd month of sub with gametextures. I would like to keep it active for 2 months at least, 3 if possible. They were awesome with me, and I would feel cheap of cancelling my sub after 1 month only, after all the textures they have done (and will do, I will send a 2nd batch soon).

EDIT: However, I can't complain of my girlfriend, while she's not into gaming, except the occasional farm games and such, she don't mind me putting that much time into this. I wish she would share the same interest, but hey! I know she would come with me for a ride on Nordschleife tho if we ever manage to go there :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  6. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

7. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

No you don't, TRUST ME! Every man needs something of their own ;) :( :mad:

8. tjc

tjc Registered

You sound like a man that`s talking from bitter experience MM... :p

9. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Thanks for your continued support for this track. We just raced our league race on this track last Sunday at SR4L, it went well. Thanks again.

10. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

LOL, not SOOO bitter but definitely experience.

11. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Congratulations on the 2000 post in in this thread. Amazing to see such community support for this project :eek:

12. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Now we need a driver that has huge experience with the more knowable banks and more impacting bumps.

At least the more noticable banks and major bumps should be found and implemented.

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Damn telemetry lag!

14. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

To be honest, I had hope you will try to make the layout as close to the real track as possible. Do you really have to go the "fun way" rather than realistic? :(

15. rifter1001

rifter1001 Registered

is there any other way to download 'n' version? it keeps getting to 25% then stopping

thanks

16. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Use the BTsync. Here is the Secret. BGYHAQDQB5DLSNINPPUVLVKJ6366GDFOR

17. rifter1001

rifter1001 Registered

perfect thanks

18. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Is N near final? Or paused, only?

19. Nor

Nor Registered

it's WIP

20. KittX

KittX Registered

Few constructive words from me if you don't mind:
    that x-shaped (or whatever) grass kills the immersion for me, because it looks so unnatural, like it's cut from paper. Mainly because it has its own normals (obviously), whch don't match terrain normals, which makes the grass outstand too much really.
    If you have some time and patience, I'd suggest you use "slide normal thief" max script (its free - http://slidelondon.com/_downloads/SlideNormalThief/SlideTools-SlideNormalThief.rar); the grass then will have the same normals directions as they are on the terrain, and the grass won't be outstanding bright/dark anymore.
    cheers!