[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I hope most of those shots are error shots. Because the bump pattern on the road should be miniscule.

2. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I love german roads you can pass cars without even changing lane :D

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2

3. kill_em_all

kill_em_all Registered

There's smth not ok with the road texture. Seems magnified 4x at least. And the shots with the sun at horizon, exagerate the look of those bumps too much. I hope to see mid day pics.

4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Fantastic work pleclair, your rapid improvements are really amazing.
    I agree the bump texture is still out of scale, e.g. in this screenshot you can see the coarseness of the road seems excessive compared to the size of the car: http://isiforums.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=10053&d=1380066506
    But maybe it has been fixed since that screenshot.

Apart from that small issue the screenshots look great! I love the new colours.

5. RGerke

RGerke Registered

6. Richard Hessels

Richard Hessels Member

Progress i looking really good. I noticed that the guardrail textures are very stretched, takes out the detail quite a bit.
    Maybe you can use at double size. Making the textures twice as sharp.

7. o0thx11380o

o0thx11380o Registered

Can't wait to see the things pleclair does next with this track

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey guys!

Sorry for the lack of update, the last week has been pretty tough by itself. Some regarding the track itself, and some involving real life matters.

I spent quite a bit of time on the road again, hehe, I mean on the track's tarmac appearance, and I made quite a bit of progress as you will soon see in the new screenshots :)

I spent some time with a new plugin I got that can pull google earth's data right into 3dsmax, with whatever resolution texture you want. Pretty neat stuff.

I imported the track into Max, and spent some time figuring out a way to replace the low res far scenery with some better one, but seems like I'm not there yet.

I have also tried different things like conforming the road we have on the new terrain, even tho it wasnt a perfect fit, but the result was like a brand new track :p The exact same shape of corner, with totally different elevation. Was really odd!

So until I get better with modelling, I'll put this on hold. The thing is, the mesh is all nicely made of squares or rectangle (triangulated), so its hard to cut in and replace what I have in the far scenery. Would even be harder to replace the inner scenery.

I almost called it quit last week while working on the road. I knew something wasnt right, but couldnt really get it to look like what I wanted, the higher resolution detail/spec/bump map were displayed too big.

After getting it to a size I wanted, thru resizing the uvw channel 2, I found out there was quite a bit of distortion in the uvs, and it resulted in blurry patch in the road.

So I redid the uvs for the channel 2 for the whole track, and I got it to look pretty good!

I will likely darken the road texture a bit, I lighten it up a tad too much, since I also switched to the real road shader, which made the road look darker. Much darker.

I also took a look at the reference picture Richard sent me, and something struck me. The place is bushy as hell. The bushes we had were border disgusting, and far too few. I understand when the track was made, computer were a lot less powerful, but that aint true no more :)

So I started to bushen the place a little! I replaced all bushes with new ones, and added quite a bit of variations. 9 in total, against 3 there was.

I made sure to pick bushes that looked wild, and not something you'd find in a garden :p I also started to remove the ugly tree line that was real close to the road. The bushes will fill this space, and I'll likely add more trees where I see it is more dense on the pictures I have.

As for later optimization regarding the much increased bushes (well, the original bushes where made of 8 polygons anyway, so the total difference wont be as large as it would seems to be, since they are now 1 poly billboard... but still... I'll break down the bushes objects, and put them into vis group, so people with max detail will get all bushes, and as you go down, you'll lose some, until you have only those close to track.

Might not make 4 groups, might end up into 2-3 or something like that, we'll see.

I downloaded some courses for 3dsmax, regarding basics, and some for uvw mapping, making seemless textures. Should help me understand some more stuff and progress further.

So here are the brand new screenshots. There are many!

This session was started at 8pm, and ran accelerated 2 laps to get some rubber in with 12 ai cars. Oh, and I also noticed the texture for the race groove was mapped sideways, it is now mapped properly in the right direction!

View attachment 10134

View attachment 10135

View attachment 10136

View attachment 10137

View attachment 10138

View attachment 10139

View attachment 10140

View attachment 10141

View attachment 10142

View attachment 10143

View attachment 10144

View attachment 10145

View attachment 10146

View attachment 10147

View attachment 10148

View attachment 10149

View attachment 10150

View attachment 10151

View attachment 10152

View attachment 10153

View attachment 10154

View attachment 10155

View attachment 10156

View attachment 10157

View attachment 10158

View attachment 10159

I also changed the ugly texture there was where we start at the paddock. I tried to find what is in real life, and couldnt find an exact match, however I found a really nice similar texture. I noticed the original one seemed to be made of stone, a bit apart from each other with a little grass in between, so here is what I found.

View attachment 10160

It is going to take quite a bit more time than I first thought. But this is mainly because my expectations are now much higher and I wanna do a lot of things I didnt even thought I would be able to do. So, hang tight.

There will still be in between releases, but I learned by my previous releases that most people didnt followed the thread, and are asking me question I already answered, or even mentioned in my updates. So until I got the textures to a point I'm satisfied enough I can resume work on the mesh (I'll likely do the bushes in between too, and add more trees as well), then you'll have this version, and I'll continue on fixing up the cracks.

I also mesh smoothed the far scenery a bit. I couldnt and wouldnt smooth it all, since it would have torn large hole everywhere, plus resulted in many extra polygons, that wouldnt have been that much necessary. So I only smoothed the most jagged parts, couple of polygons per scenery objects. It did a pretty good job, as you can see in the first screenshot well, in the far back.

I also replaced and added more variety of grass too. I havent started to billboard them and increase their number, but will do. The nice hills after the gp overlap will look much better with billboard grass instead of those x shape grass that looks odd, since some grass is very dark since the light isnt hitting them.

The track is already around 350mb now :) When I'll be done, I would think it will reach upward of 600mb. So it will be the size it should for the size of the track it is ;)

9. Kickbox

Kickbox Registered

Good Morning,
    thats are good news! Thank You very mush!

10. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

Excellent work, screens look awesome. Bushes and trees look better with every batch of shots you post, really cool :) Good work!

Can't wait to drive a more recent version of your work

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks for all the effort you're putting into it. It's a really positive thing for the rF2 community. It's looking nice and I look forward to another update :)

12. Mario Morais

Mario Morais Registered

Maybe the detail road (asphalt_multi.dds) It should be slightly smaller.

13. sg333

sg333 Registered

Looking awesome, much appreciated! :)

14. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

+1

It is better than before, but still too large/exaggerated.

Also, pleclair--don't feel the need to answer every question from every person, including those who are not reading the history. Your work is now impressive enough to speak for itself.

Releasing interim versions is actually a good idea. Those who know it's a work-in-progress can give good feedback, or even better, sometimes help you with bits and pieces. It confirms your work is not wasted or going in the "wrong direction." Ignore anyone who can't figure out it's a WIP or who just likes to complain about things you have already said you will address. Think how ISI feels! Non-stop complaining while we wait for rF2 to get finished, but at least you have been clear about exactly what you are doing! :)

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thanks Marc :)

Regarding the road texture, I wasn't sure about it. Thing is, every asphalt is different. There is some that is a lot coarser, and some much finer grain.

All I know, I started to look a bit closer at the asphalt in the roads surrounding me, and I can clearly see the grain while in the car, in the area close to the front end of the car, and on the sides, at least while not moving, or slowly. Then it blurs out.

Also, if I would take a picture close to the ground, like in the screenshot, I believe the grain would appear coarse too.

Another thing, the original road textures that serves as the diffuse map is showing quite some large grain in it. If I go with a finer grain with the detail map, it looks funny with the diffuse being much bigger grain. I tried it already, but the grain was about twice as small as it is in the screenshot, maybe it was too much, could try something in between and see how it looks.

View attachment 10161

Here I just took a picture of the parking lot of where we live. In between 2-3ft off the ground, and about 4-5 ft off the tarmac itself (took it from inside).

Now this is a really rough grain, so I wouldnt base my work on this, but the grain is bigger than what we saw in the screenshots, I believe. If I were to take a picture, bumper style cam, 1ft off the ground, and right next to it, than you would see a much larger grain still.

I'll still give it another shot with a grain in between 2x smaller and what it is now.

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

And here is a screenshot of the original new detail map used for the tarmac in Nords.

It comes from the new Mores track. I think that amongst all ISI's track, this looked the most appropriate for use in Nords.

Still pretty rough grain, maybe a tad smaller.

View attachment 10162

Sorry for the night screenshot, my settings were still set as yesterday's session, 8pm.

Also, here is a part of the diffuse map (one of the many)

View attachment 10163

As you can see, even from this far, there is some grain showing. So if I get the detail grain even smaller (it is already smaller than the diffuse one), it doesnt look that great when close up.

The best would be getting a detail map matching the diffuse one, but this won't be possible unless someone walks over there and take texture specific pictures and send them to me.

17. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Some pictures from the real track. Taken in 2011:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Hi Pleclair. For your next batch of screenshots could you take some nice, bright daytime pictures?

19. Senna12

Senna12 Registered

Hi,

I can see in the fifth picture down the track textures are looking very good!!!

nice work!!!

Cheers,

Sean

20. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

We can't really tell from screenshots. I trust your judgement, but you'll hear from many after you release another version!