[RELEASE] Nordschleife Tourist v1.65 beta

Discussion in 'Locations' started by pleclair, Aug 4, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I've been trying out to figure all day (time i've been at my computer at least), and still struggling...

I asked for help in the mod help forum.... but nothing yet.

I would have thought that something as simple as creating a tree would have taken very little to have an answer, but seems it is complex.

Actually, I'm not a big fan of billboard trees, its supposed to trick the eye, but all I see is them turning around to face me.

In the worst case where I can't swap them, I'll try to work on the texture instead and improve their look... they look a tad washed out, but they aint that bad. Nice variety and so on.

2. Galaga

Galaga Banned

Just want to say that I am beginning to see the light with suspension adjustments. Now I just need to fine tune suspension, fix camera and work on getting under 8 minutes. Whoooooo hooooooooo! :D

Edit - OK so maybe I went a little overboard with spring and dampening but had fun finding traction nonetheless:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  3. myself9

myself9 Registered

Thanks for all the work, pleclair.

I've driven bazillioins of laps on The Ring, and your version is some of the most fun I've had doing it.
    It's VERY challenging.

4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I don't see that thread ? I've not yet tried making BB-trees but it should be pretty straight forward, it's very important that you map the 'correct side' of the poly, being the front...

5. Andy_rsrf

Andy_rsrf Registered

Hello pledair,

since the installation of ring-Tourist, screenshot are no longer possible.

Do you know something about it and can you help me to solve this problem?

Thanks for an answer.

Best Regards

Andy_rsrf

6. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The textures in rF1 have to much saturation and are in the most cases to bright to work good with hdr lightning. I have modified (desaturate, color balance) some of the tree textures and the grass and it looks much better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DJCruicky

DJCruicky Registered

Very nice Tosch, big improvement.

8. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

ignorant question, why not a 3D trees, especially those near the track?!

9. Timallen

Timallen Registered

Thank you very much for the great work.
    Im looking forward to the finished track with updatet trees

10. Edu

Edu Registered

@peclair... will implement the realroad?
    Thanks for this track, great job!

11. hoover

hoover Registered

Thanks a ton for your hard work, can't wait for try this track!

Cheers, Uwe

12. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Wow pleclair!

Looks like you already implemented RealRoad and enhanced the road mesh for RealRoad!
    I did a port some time a ago for personal use (didn't know com8 permitted conversion in the credit file) but gave up when it came to enhance the road mesh for RealRoad.

I tried it yesterday and it already feels and looks great!

I noticed objects pop in, most noticeable on the long straight. I had this too and ClipPlanes=(0.50, 6000.00) fixes it.

In stereoscopic 3D, the dirt and dirta objects look like they are floating 30cm above the ground. changing y pos for dirt objects by -0.02 and -0.1 for dirta objects fixed this.

Thanks a lot for the great port!

(I've attached my scn and tdf, maybe they are of some use)

13. baked bean

baked bean Registered

I agree with Tim, its like im on a bucking bull in some bits lol. Other than that, out standing work plecair, & in such a short time too, looking forward to updates. :)

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Wow! :)

That's one of the two cars I need to still practice with! The 60s F1 and BT20 :)

Nice driving! What's that plugin you have in center screen? Below center mirror?

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Real road is working ;) Well I must say.. high quality rubber being layed down on the high def mesh

16. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Thank you very much for those tips!

I noticed a bit of pop in, but I didnt think it was so bad as to look for a fix, thought it was a limitation of the rF2 engine, not being made for such a track.

I'll try the ClipPlanes setting (where does it goes? I'll have a look in your files, I should find it?)

For the dirt, you mean the z pos? the height value? Cause y will move it to one side? right?

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Indeed, it does look better now!

If I can't swap trees for the next update, if you want, you could send me your worked on textures, and could include them.

I had a closer look at the trees yesterday, and while I race, I sort of like the old non billboard tree better.. much better... I dont have the feeling the scenery is rotating around me.

However, for replay and screenshots, the billboards look better.

EDIT: hmmm, this is what happen when you work too late!

Yesterday before going to sleep, I opened up each tree dds in photoshop and played with them. I havent got much experience editing texture tho... images a bit yes, but textures not much. They are basically images as well, but I think it requires different processing.

Nevertheless, I think I still improved on the stock ones. Here is how I have it now:

View attachment 9163

All trees textures have been "improved" so to say... tried to make them not look so washed out and tried to remove that overly white cast on them.

18. vittorio

vittorio Registered

In the scn:
    View=mainview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(1.00, 1.00) Center=(0.5, 0.5)
    FOV=(77.75, 35.00)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 6000.00)
    View=rearview
    {
    Clear=False
    Color=(0, 0, 0)
    Size=(0.200, 0.100) Center=(0.50, 0.01)
    FOV=(62.5, 62.5)
    ClipPlanes=(0.50, 150.00)
    }
    }

Interestingly com8 (or prev authors) had it already set to 6000 but probably got lost in the conversion.

Yes the height value. Don't know why I have noted y in my changelog file (maybe y was height in 3dsimed? I can't recall anymore)

19. Hermmie

Hermmie Registered

You were right about the Colors Saturation, without HDR it looks great! Sorry i didnt read your info properly.

Another thing though, i have been driving the track in real life alot, and i never experienced it being this bumpy in certrain sections. I tried three different cars ( Nissan 370z, Camaro GT3, Clio Cup ) and its the same for all of them.

Of course i never drove the Circuit in a full-spec racing car, but i also checked back with some onboard videos and it just doesnt look as bumpy there as well.

Dont get me wrong, i really like a "live" Track which isnt smooth, but some of the bumps are just too much and aren't there in real life

For example, the bump on the way into the left hander uphill, right after the carussell exit. its not there in real life and upsets the car alot.

If you want help ironing out some bumps which shouldnt be there, let me know. I have alot of onboard footage to check back with, i think i can point out the ones that should not be there

20. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered