REPLACED Chevrolet Camaro GT3 v1.2 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Have a problem with the template. PS cs2 says "Could not save a copy as "....dds" because of a problem with the file-format module interface.

2. JGraf

JGraf Registered

flatten the image before saving.

main menu:
    Layer - Flatten Image -
    File - Save As... .dds

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2013
  3. Tosch

Tosch Registered

It works! Thank you :D

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Make sure to save your psd before you flatten so you can edit after

Sent from a mobile device using Tapatalk

5. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

TIM, why do not you consider the remarks that you made​​?
    On your template there are still plenty of errors ...
    always default to allignment and texture that goes beyond the hood ect ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

while it gives environment to give up....

and one more thing for the template of the Megane it would be nice to repeat the alpha channel ... there are many who create the skin that is left with the ISI sponsors undercoat

6. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

All the templates are third rate. The UV mapping on the cars leave a lot to be desired with distorting and stretching in places. Thought the Corvette was bad but this latest entry is shameful at best. Then the livery painters made no attempted to correct their skins with lining up things at all. Just left them.

The biggest disappointment is the guy who built the model actually did a good job. Took the time to make it look right. Everything after that is pure rubbish.
    Such a shame.
    Alpha work, amateur mistakes.

The Nissan's are just the same. Amateur at best. Seen far better in rF1 done by people who aren't getting paid.

ISI needs to make this thing moddable real soon or it's just going to get low standard crap their handing out.

7. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Difficult issue. :) I usually first adjust rollbars to make car neutral (no over- or understeering) when not accelerating/decelerating. Usually it requires changes to wings too if balance changes when speed increases (at low speeds aero doesn't matter). Next thing is diff settings and/or brake balance. Brake balance is quite easy: find setting where one end doesn't lock before the other. I like when rear end becomes little nervous when braking hard. Of course one has to adjust brake balance towards front as track gets rubbered in. I think diff settings are very important and play big role when getting on and off the throttle. Look at tire temps and try to make changes to setup and to your driving so that tires temps don't go sky high. Once you get everything balanced tires last long and wear evenly. :)

Of course there's lots of other things to tweak/improve but I believe those above have biggest impact on handling and tire wear hence achieve better lap times and become faster - at least when improving ISI's default setups. IMHO. :)

8. tjc

tjc Registered

Thanks keiKei, I appreciate the info.

Will take a note of this and experiment. :)

9. speed1

speed1 Banned

It's a car and balance based on TC in use, is why the car behaves odd without. We are developing the car balance new while not using TC but try to setup it. Its a irony of sim racing, cut off everything which was developed to make cars more controlable in Real as ABS as well is available on nearly every car.

People mention odd driving behaviour on a car which is basicly destroyed while cutting off technics.

I do try and use as well every car without those features but it seems anyway wrong to me.

The car drives great with TC.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  10. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

I really can't figure out what you mean. What is this "exploit"?

11. Panigale

Panigale Banned

The exploit would be the odd sim behavior of the GT tires at the limit as I explained (albeit not very well perhaps) in the first paragraph you quoted.

Setup an ISI GT car for mild oversteer and you can push them into turns and go faster while frying the tires. That is an exploit that allows short term gain and I don't think is realistic simulated GT tire behavior. Using my own track day experiences and watching a lot of GT racing, I've never seen the front tires of a car burned up in just a few laps by pushing into turns, i.e. bad driving technique. There are plenty non professional drivers in almost every GT series so I'd expect to have seen some evidence of this over the years, especially during qualifying. I don't think this simulated behavior exists in RL hence why I refer to it as an exploit.

In contrast the tire behavior on the ISI open wheelers are brilliant. Those behave as I expect tires would and reinforce my RL experience on the track. I find that a bit funny that the sim open wheelers on slow speed turns remind me of being on the track in a sports car with street tires more than the GTs.

I'm not trying to say someone is wrong and I'm right, I'm simply sharing my experience with what doesn't feel right. You seem to have a good background in sims so I was interested in hearing your thoughts. (Maybe consider a setup with mild oversteer and try this out.) My guess is Formula2 and Renault were able to share more detailed tire data with ISI than the GT guys could.

Cheers.

12. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

Unfortunately, I agree.
    This template is a laughable mess.
    A great, intricate model (perhaps too intricate... makes me wonder about poly counts)... coupled with a horrendously lazy template.

13. tjc

tjc Registered

Mmm... I`d like to say "rushed" more than "lazy" but I agree. There are a few problems with this template and some of the others too.

I hope ISI get these things sorted as soon as they can.

14. deathofmarat

deathofmarat Registered

Fair enough.
    I suppose I wouldn't be able to pull the "I"M NOT PAINTING ON THIS CRAP!!!" card... because then I'd be making a lazy complaint about being too lazy to paint on a lazy template.

Rushed seems better for my desire to not be a complete hypocrite. ;)

In the end, we can work around the issues. As frustrating and annoying as they are...

15. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

Well so first off, no one runs "mild oversteer" setups in real-world, asphalt, circuit-based road racing. I mean no one. It's a shame ISI's forums don't have race engineers frequenting them the way iRacing's do or they could validate this. All racecars are set up for mild understeer and then backed down toward neutral as much as possible before the driver starts complaining or going slower.

By all rights I am in fact running mild oversteer setups, because the way you judge it irl is by the relative tire temps. If at the end of a run the fronts are hotter it's understeer, the rears are hotter it's oversteer. Most of the time, regardless of setup in rF2, my rears are hotter. I also get more rear than front wear. This is all down to driving technique and it's regardless of car. The formula cars are that way for me just as much as the GT's.

OTOH you could also give me any setup you want, any car you want, and tell me to go do 20 laps and bring it back with fronts more worn than rears, rears more than fronts, or even wear, and I'd bring it back just how you want. It's all just down to managing load transfer. There's no magic in it.

But to go back to your second paragraph, I still don't really understand. You're saying if you set the car up for mild oversteer that it burns the front tires off? That just makes no sense at all. It should be the other way around. It also makes no sense to me because regardless of how I have a car set up, if I slide the rear much at all (oversteer) it shreds the rear tires and I end up with much more wear at the rear than the front. In fact this is something I'm constantly wary of avoiding during races because it will seriously alter the handling balance toward the end of a race and make it harder to get the power down, so lap times suffer.

Anyway, I understand your point about pushing harder for a lap or two, sliding the car and gaining a bit more time from that maybe not being realistic. I don't know - again, I haven't really found much time in doing that. Maybe that's where KeiKei gets those few tenths on me. :) But I'd say a few things - One, I just don't know, and two, Tim has mentioned that we're "still not being punished enough" for abusing the tires. I suspect he's referring in part to graining and blistering. So could it be better, absolutely.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the GT tires are fine or great or anything. I just respond to things that are said. Guy says it's impossible to avoid burning the fronts off way before the rears and I say bollocks. I struggle with the opposite problem, though for the most part my tires wear evenly when I have the car set up well. It's all about driving technique and wheel loading. And to reference back to that screen I posted a few days ago, that was on almost the bone stock setup. I opened the coast side of the diff as much as I could, which promotes less understeer on entry, and I ticked up one level of front anti-roll bar. That's it, and I win by 50 seconds or something and you can see the tire wear. Others were burning the fronts off on virtually the same setup. Why? Because of how they were loading the tires.

16. 88mphTim

The one guy who did both will be very grateful for your feedback. Thanks for giving it in such a reasonable tone.

17. 88mphTim

Driving it in, rather than driving it out.

Yes.

18. maxredbull

maxredbull Registered

tim why you do not respond to me?

19. 88mphTim

Because your post and the language therein annoyed me. I assume due to language barrier, but I felt no willingness to find out.

I passed the link to the person who made the car and template and chose not to respond myself.

20. Panigale

Panigale Banned

@Matt, yes, dive bomb the car into a corner and correct and throttle steer to hold the line and it will cook the fronts. Tim has mentioned before this isn't the way to drive the GTs (you have as well) and I think everyone agrees with that. The point is should the tire model in the sim respond this way and allow for a faster lap?

As you said, we don't know, but that remains the question. I appreciate your comments since you are seeing it from another perspective. And I do think what we have here in this sim is excellent, very lucky to have something this good so I'm not criticizing ISI. I just think the GT tire model has a pinch of Tokyo Drift spice in it.