Aids discrimination or snobbery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Jul 26, 2013.

1. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

When I first read that, I thought it was a really, really good idea. Not really 2 versions, but a simple button that turns all aids off and filters aids servers automatically. But then I thought about clutch. We don't have a real clutch simulation yet, and even if we did, what about those who's pedal sets don't have one? Could we discriminate against those drivers like that?

Hmm...

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

If server allows drivings aids you are not forced to use them. I have also noticed that guys who run with some abs and tc on have problems saving their tyres because they brake and accelerate harder.

If I have had a good fight with someone, and later it turns out that he/she was using some aids, it wouldn't change the fact that I had fun time fighting that person.

My goal is to get new people online faster by allowing some driving aids. I believe that in time there isn't need for aids in such a scale but at the moment when online is still pretty quiet we can't afford to be too selective.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

Sorry, this is getting a bit OT :eek:

Well, I decided to grab a vid of my lap. Recorded with low fidelity though, sorry about that. It has telemetry though.

It might help you possibly, then again I'm probably not the best to learn from. And I can probably learn from others who can give advice to where they think I can improve XD
    Throttle control and corner exit is a big one I reckon, and the sweepers at the back of the track.

...just to keep it relevant, no aids were used XD

4. Galaga

Galaga Banned

So we just need eight games: rFactor (as is), DurgeFactor (no aids), AutoFactor (automatic tranny b/c not an advantage) and WorkingClassFactor (clutch aid only for those who don't have hardware) and a forced view (no triples allowed) and non-forced view version of each. :p

5. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

Well, even if it would be a PRO version, there would still be possible to have button shifting and so on in the background outside rFactor and other aids, sadly there will allways be cheaters if possible (just like in real life racing, at least they get fined and penalized).

I would love see servers that emulates what the cars are having in real life.

Maybe remove rf2 subscription for the cheaters that get caught. And some nice tools to check if someone is using buttonshifting and so on. So people know that they can lose their rf2 multiplayer purpose.

6. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

That's just crazy logic. I've never experienced this and it's never been proven that ABS is quicker than not using ABS. No, dude.

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I never said ABS was quicker than no ABS, I said it was quicker than someone who is not perfect at threshold braking with no ABS. There is a difference. ABS would allow someone to just stomp on the brake and not have to worry about modulating the brake pedal and be near threshold all the time where non ABS would result in tire locks and sliding before the corner extending the brake zone. Those that are not experienced enough with their own hardware or who have cheap hardware may well over brake or under brake where those what were using ABS would be almost perfect every time. I am sure that you could see the difference Guy.

8. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

Just my Opinion:

- Discrimination? ... I really hope not (although it will result in something like that)

- Snobbery? ... In many cases i'm afraid yes

- All the rest just don't worry about it.

I could write reams about this topic, but sadly this will change nothing.

The general tenor i read in this topic (fortunately with some exceptions)
    We cares about people that can't / won't spend money, but we uninterested in any other peoples reasons

Imho the only solution is -> People should learn to see beyond one's own nose.

9. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Let's try not to stoop down to the level of making AIDS and Cancer jokes, etc.

10. Galaga

Galaga Banned

It was a pun. :rolleyes:

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Does aids also put handicap on the car to make it slightly slower ?

12. Galaga

Galaga Banned

[deleted]

13. Gridgirl

Gridgirl Registered

In most cases yes! It's the modders choice.

14. JGraf

JGraf Registered

rFactor2 = rated E for Everyone.

servers full time OPEN to the PUBLIC should allow all difficulty (aids) settings.
    children, senior citizens, handicap, etc... they hobby auto race too, these type servers are where anyone should be able to race online.
    there is no reason ISI should alienate anyone from enjoying there products.

competition events, where points/prizes/money is involved, to insure all members are on the same performance level, form leagues behind passwords to restrict those controller options from being abused.

15. smithaz

smithaz Registered

This kind of pedantry is a much more offensive to me than a rubbish joke, to call attention to a joke with your own self righteous slant on it is unnecessary. No thankyou Officer Jobsworth, I do not need you to tell me whats right and wrong, or heaven forbid "offensive".

16. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Interesting/odd that in the replay the tyres suddenly change at the 14 second mark.

Otherwise nice lap.

17. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Heheh, I know you meant no offense, but even Senior Citizens can be fast and reliable on track in this or any other sim ;P

18. Dave Millard

Dave Millard Registered

19. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Looks like he was having just a little bit of an issue controlling the car all the time. He was also pretty rough on the tires :)

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The current tyre compound only gets updated now and then in the replays. If you flick to different points of a race you can have quite a lag where you aren't sure what tyres a car is on - best bet is to find the previous pitstop and view it. I'm not at all surprised that video has a 'tyre switch' a short way in, the question is why the wrong compound was shown at first but that could be quite a complicated answer and overall not worth worrying about - the compound was updated at that point so you can be assured those tyres were in use the whole time.

This is ISI's forum, so it's up to ISI to keep things the way they see fit. If that means gently drawing a line in the sand then so be it - no one has the right to post whatever they want without the potential of having those posts removed or even their membership revoked whether they agree or not. You visit someone else's house, you follow their rules.

In addition, your own post contributed nothing and was 'offensive' in the same way you've accused of Tim's. A lot of people might even take exception to your 'heaven forbid' and ask you to keep your religious fanaticism to yourself.