Aids discrimination or snobbery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Craigjw, Jul 26, 2013.

1. G.Bird

G.Bird Registered

Allways cockpit as seen here

had not realized it could be forced on the server.
    I mostly drive the open wheeler cars which don't have aids in real life apart from clutch

2. pleclair

pleclair Registered

That's odd, cause my first setup for Silverstone (or one of my first) was full downforce, both set to max, so I could take the double S turn faster... but it made the car so much slower everywhere else... top speed of about 305-310 versus 330 I get with min downforce. (I reach over 300 in many parts of the tracks as well with low downforce)

I should give it a try again I guess, since my driving with the formula ISI improved much since I tried it, maybe I would get better time.

But for most of the lap times I set with the down force cars, I always lower downforce to reach faster top speed and higher acceleration.

Can you send a video of you running Silverstone with the FISI at 1:32-1:33? Cockpit view with telemetry data would be highly appreciated! I really have no idea how to shave 4 seconds off my best time.

3. Minibull

Minibull Member

I follow in that same thought process to an extent, that I want to simulate the car as best as possible. That covers aids too. But, it seems so hard to get any concrete proof of what aids cars are running, which is frustrating. I remember people trying to figure out if the Corvette used a very limited form of TC, but something like the drivers IRL weren't using it or something. Things like that drive me crazy XD

4. Minibull

Minibull Member

Are you using DRS?

5. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Lol :) That's a funny statement (I am by no means quick btw.) for a guy who's got the best betarank on rF2rank, and with lots of track records for the tracks you practiced :)

I'm always trying to beat your time, and the only tracks I've set a track records, was those you didn't really practiced :p Like lime rock park with FISI, but I'm sure you'd still beat me!

You may not be the ultimate fastest, but you are still darn quick! :) Would like to run some practice sessions with you someday :)

6. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

wow - I had a completely different idea what this topic about. I thought I was about to find out that people were refusing to race online with HIV positive people. I was wondering how they knew :shock:

Good to see that isn't the case :D

7. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hmm, never did actually, I thought that, along with KERS, wasn't implemented in rF2 yet...

I haven't seen an option in the controls for DRS, or am I missing something? Or is it labelled differently than DRS?

By using DRS in the stretch that allows it, would shave 3-4 seconds of the lap time? WOW!

When you use DRS, does the car actually goes faster than when you set up the car with the lowest amount of downforce?

Also, if the car is already near minimum, would DRS make it even faster too?

EDIT: Thanks to DurgeDriven I have found the DRS button! A little search on google lead me back here to this post

Now back to rF2, I'll go try this out and see what I come up with!! LOL! Will make hunting lap times a lot easier now!

What car does this works on? Is it only Marussia and FISI? Or is f2 and fr3.5 also included?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  8. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

For some fun is using aids, for others the fun lies in 'reasonable' realism and then you also have peeps going for 100% realism.
    So a hardcore simmer joining an aids-server, no fun. Someone wanting to use aids and enters a hardcore server, no fun.

So essentially nobody is having fun at this point and it all ISI's fault :)

In the end it doesn't matter much really. people should use whatever they want and those whom try to enforce their opinion....ignore.

Because you're right about the fun, and it don't matter from which pov it comes.

9. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

pleclair, you shouldn't only test the extremes of the downforce spectrum. Depending on the track, both ends of the downforce spectrum (absolute minimum and absolute maximum) are likely to be bad or non-optimal (monoca i think is the single handedly biggest exception to this where absolute or near absolute maximum downforce is the optimal). It's a compromise between high speed corners (almost entirely dependent on aero grip) and straight line speed. Silverstone has some very high speed corners that if you are lacking in downforce for them it will severely hinder your exit speed onto the following long straight away. So much so that the total time segment of the high speed corner + long straight-away will most likely be lower with more downforce than less (but again, unlikely to be the absolute maximum downforce configuration). Taking only the maximum and minimum is not a good comparison because you've completely missed out the middle spectrum of performance, which is most likely (actually most certainly statistically speaking) to hold the optimal downforce configuration for a certain track.

Imagine this graph is of your Laptime time (y-axis) against Downforce amount (x-axis). Obviously not to scale, just using it as an example. Your optimal set-up is going to lie somewhere in the middle region depending on the track.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  10. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I have always been slower with aids on. I really could care less if a server allows aids as long as the drivers stay on track and drive clean. But it seems that rarely do you find drivers on public servers that race clean, Aids or no aids. The moral of this story.... join a league. hahaha.

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, I was mentioning the min and max, but I've certainly fiddle with anything in between as well! I really played with lots of settings trying to get below 1:36!

Now that I know about DRS, seems like I will be able to achieve it sooner than later now :) Probably tonight after playing some more with my setup.

I took my low downforce setup that was good for a 1:36:4xx (cant remember exactly) and added front and rear wings, first at the default of 29/62, but that was way too much, as I couldnt reach very high speed with the front wing set so high.

Then I lowered the front to about 15, and rear to 50, and after a few laps of getting used to hit the button into every straight I come across, I was down to 1:36:333.

Now I got to let go for a few hours, so it was only a quick practice, but there is hope!

I doubt I'll get into 1:32s tho... it still seems impossible. I wonder if you stay on track 100% time to be in those range, or going out as some places is required.

I looked at a video on youtube, but since he doesnt use same fov as I do, and no telemetry data, or even km/h showing, its real hard to guess how fast he goes etc... haven't found many people sharing their telemetry like I do on youtube...

All my videos are submitted in both tv camera and cockpit w/ telemetry, so others can learn if they are slower than I...

12. pleclair

pleclair Registered

In the post from Durge, he mentions settings up the rear flap button, which I did, and also did the front flap, but that didnt seemed to do anything?

If I could lower both flaps, then maybe running with a mid downforce front/rear would allow me to drop into 1:34s or lower, but with only the rear... it's hard to find the optimal setup of downforce/top speed.

With DRS, it's even more complex to setup the car (looks to me at first glance at least, will see about it more in details tonight)

But at first look, I dont like DRS too much, it looks to me they added games stuff into real racing... hitting a button to enable DRS, and with KERS (luckily not implemented yet) it's almost arcadish style racing in the real world...

What's your thoughts on this? You like DRS/KERS?

13. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I don't know if it's changed in rF2 but whenever I did comparisons in rF1 the weight penalty isn't enough to deter aid use. Case in point is the ORSM V8 Supercar mod. I can do a balls-out quali lap and a time good enough for say 5th on the grid. Then I flip on traction control and I'm immediately 0.5-1.0 seconds a lap faster. Now I'm on pole. Same goes for several other mods.

14. Diavolo

Diavolo Registered

Depends on driver, used aids and mod (modders).

Some player may be faster with one or more aids, i for myself was always faster without any aids.
    Some aids could make a inexperienced player faster, other aids make you slower anyway. In either case you get penalties, no matter if the used aid is an advantage or more like an disadvantage.
    Some mods have high penalties for aids, other mods have less penalties. I was never able to see any principle in this.

15. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, I know that's off topic, but I don't want to create a new thread to update on the discussion I had a bit earlier... :)

I've been practicing some more with the FISI with DRS, and I'm now down to 1:36:147 :) Getting there!

I must admit it's nice :) I still think it makes the whole driving more arcadish in the feeling... it's almost like a nitro button, but still, I like it!

I've been practicing for about 3 days with low downforce in order to get into the 1:35 or lower, but I couldnt, mid 1:36 was the max I could achieve with very little downforce... still a feat in itself, it was hard as heck to go thru the corner, but straight speed was beast, so was acceleration.. reaching 300 was really quick with front wing set at 6.5.

I somehow wish that DRS included the front wing... is it like this in real life as well? Only affecting rear wing, with no way to lower the front as well?

There is a huge difference in acceleration and top speed with the front set to real low.

I wasn't aware of how DRS worked prior to trying it today... the first tracks I've seen DRS tagged to it were from modders, and if you look at the loading screen of spa, it looked to me there is only one place on the track that DRS worked... on the long stretch near the start.

But I've discovered today that it can be in fact used at any given time! And it last until you release completely the accel... so when braking, it's disabled automatically! Brilliant!

So handling the car with lot more downforce now proved to be really awesome! I love it!

It was the only car I wasn'T playing much with, since I couldnt handle it basically, but as I'm starting to tame it, I'm really liking it!

I switched back to my previous fav, the f2, and it felt so slow! But it handles so sweet at the same time! I love the f2!

Regarding the topic, @Diavolo, I agree with you. If you train long enough with no aids, you will end up being faster than anyone using some. Even if someone only use the brake aids, someone proficient at braking will always outbrake you if you use aids.

Everyone playing rF2 should aim to master the Skip Barber car... then everything else is lots easier, and if you didnt had a good understanding of car dynamic prior to training with it, you will end up a much better driver.

Training with no aids should be obvious in that case.

Training with aids will only get someone so far... to get further, you must turn them off.

And I'm pretty sure the weight penalty is only to ease up the tension between players using them and those not using them on the same server... since I'm sure someone would still be faster without the weight added. The aids just gets so much in the way.

Again, if I was gonna race people using them, I would expect them to behave like they would on a real track, ie, play nice. Other than that, may the best win!

EDIT: Can I make a small post? :p I wonder, hope I'm not too boring :)

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

The thing about it that I see is that if you allow aids, the experienced, but not great driver will feel at a disadvantage. I say this primarily because of ABS and TC. If the driver running no aids can't achieve threshold braking, then the driver with ABS running has a clear advantage unless there is a stop distance penalty for using the aid. The ABS will allow that driver to use less track to stop at the same speed as a not so perfect no aids driver. The same for traction control. If a driver with no aids is trying to push to the limit, there is a good chance that he can lose a bit of traction coming out of a turn where the driver with TC has no worries and can put the throttle down all the way. Both of those aids used together is a huge advantage over anyone that isn't basically a pro at driving the sim.

Should the disadvantaged driver then switch to aids to be competitive? More often than not, the disadvantaged driver will find a server that caters to his ways of driving rather than adjust to the way others drive. This is why I feel that you have people who leave the server once they discover you allow aids. It isn't necessarily that there is a clear advantage, but there is a perceived advantage.

17. coops

coops Banned

auto shifting is not an aid IMHO our site uses it as there are a lot of sequential gear shifting cars now where they don't use the clutch... and you must use cockpit view for the immersion of real life, any other view is unrealistic.

its like a wheel to a control its all about IMMERSION

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I don't go along with hood view is faster, most any other sim I would say yes.

I can certainly do PBs in F3 and F1 in nose or cockpit.
    Fisi@Indy is not easy to lap within +/- 0.05-.1 any view but I am faster in car.

I find a few laps in that nose cam thingy good for doing first laps and pit out, pit in at a new track...........especially considering driving a simulator before a new track is good enough for real race drivers. lol

Once you get accustomed to a realistic cockpit height it is hard to change.
    It gives such immersion but just takes a few weeks solid to ween off the other cams. hehehe

If anything I see a lot of cockpit drivers using higher seats then nose cams.

================

Again another thread comes back to differences about aids online which is a very fair question.

Hypothetically what if we had 2 versions of rF2 , one as it is if all aids switchable and the other a Pro version with no aids.
    Essentially they would all be turned off with no buttons, menus or edits to turn on.

That would change nothing for a the normal version people would still be turning aids on and off.

But in the Pro version everyone would be running the same, no arguments , no debating, no discussions. :)

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking that is some sort of ego driven ravings from a aids hater.......... no no no .

I "believe" you can help people enough in a no aids rooms that have never done it full time.
    It may just be down to how they have always setup a wheel and just never realized.
    In a month or even less they are driving like they had never used a aid before.
    Once you drive decent laps of Historic with no aids in car immersion there is no going back. :)

I do not think that would be a bad thing having a version that promotes dedication.

19. Galaga

Galaga Banned

I don't think anyone should get aids. Use a condom for crying out loud. :p

20. smithaz

smithaz Registered

Regarding cockpit view being realistic and all others false. Well in my opinion, concentrating on a small center region of a monitor is what is unusual. Surely since you already have a real steering wheel in your hands this should be an analogue of the real life wheel and the monitor should be an analogue of the windscreen.

And Durge, your rf pro idea is insane, firstly the name is already taken, but more importantly, you have the option to disable aids online anyway, your idea already exists if you choose to set it up in such a way.