It's about the TIRES, stupid!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Guy Moulton, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

If anyone is wondering what's different about rF2 and why some graphics eye candy is sacrificed for the game's performance- it's about those tires. These things EAT cpu cycles for breakfast. I was doing some laps at Toban Reverse today and these screenshots tell you a tale. When you flatspot the tires, you can SEE it in open wheelers. I didn't flat spot these but you can clearly see the uneven wear.

View attachment 8669

View attachment 8670

No other sim accurately records and simulates and graphically represents how you use your rubber like rFactor 2 does.

2. RCRacing

RCRacing Registered

3. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

That is cool, I never noticed. And when you also think that the rubber you see missing on the tires ends up on the road, it is really quite the complex dependencies...

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Funnily enough, this morning I was admiring how my front left on the ISI Formula 2012 was visually degrading in relation to the tyre wear visuals on the graphic in the bottom right hand corner. :)

PS: How do I get that Real Time graphic of tyre load / tyre wear which is in the top left screen?

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

In the .PLR file, under the [Driving Aids] section,

TGM Display="0" // Temporary variable

Change it to

TGM Display="1" // Temporary variable

6. O11

O11 Registered

After not playing rF2 for a long time because I was fed up with the file system (I'm a computer n00b, but I love driving, so...).
    But last week I sat down, updated everything and drove a short online race with the F1. And I ruined my tyres. And I SAW it. I DID that. I could not deny guilt. XD Everytime I locked up I saw it and I felt it. And in the end the tyres looked like hamburger. Awesome.

Only thing that's needed is the weather to have the option to be randomly changeable, the windscreen rain animations and wipers to be working and the Real Road to be set to a realistic setting. And then we can do some proper racing. Even if the other features aren't polished yet.

7. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I agree it is extremely cool and demanding and, in fact, if there was box art I think a shot showing uneven tire wear could go on the front of the box. However, it seems possible to have both good graphics and good physics if your PC/CPU and GPU are strong enough which seems to be playing out b/c rf2 graphics is starting to look very nice and now I believe most of comments are around bugs, glitches and lighting vs. how "demanding" or "sophisticated" graphics are. In other words I believe most open items are around bugs + "how" certain graphics were implemented such as lighting and HDR vs. the old concerns of whether you can have both b/c I think rf2 is already proving it is possible but just needs adjustments. Is that fair?

8. Uff

Uff Registered

netKar Pro has been reproducing graphic tire degradation since 2006... It also has proper flatspots simulation, as you get a lot of vibrations on your steering wheel if you lock a tire and don't change it.
    It's good to see that another sim is finally paying attention to these details as well. :)

9. Minibull

Minibull Member

Good to see ISI take it a step further and bring in accurate tyre deformation ;)
    And I remember F1 99 on the PS1 had visual dirt and grass pickup...good to see that NKP was paying attention to those details...
    I kid, all in good fun XD

Yep, but I wonder how they actually calculated it in NKP...in terms of is the flat spot an actual part of the tyre and does it's effect actually match up when you watch the spot hit the ground? Same with the visual wear, is it just averaged over the whole tyre? Hard to find as videos are very scarce it seems. Spose the best way to see is to buy it XD

10. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I agree, KK, it's possible to have the whole package with rF2, but it's very complex and demanding, and you do need a very strong PC. I think optimization, and more importantly streamlining, will be necessary to convince people to adopt it as the next sim standard. I don't mind tinkering because I love the experience, but if I were less passionate, I would simply wait for AC.

I think these pictures are great arguments in favour of the game. :D

11. pleclair

pleclair Registered

If I remember correctly, LFS brought that to the table first :)

12. Uff

Uff Registered

That's why proper competition is always good. :)

I think you're wrong: it was... F1 1997. :D This is indeed something that I never understood: that graphic effect has been there in such an old game, but only very few modern games have it. Hopefully these "new gen" sims will fix this details as well. :)

I've never been into LFS so I can't comment on this, even though I've always heard positive comments about it tire simulation. :)

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd like to see dirt pick up after a trip into the grass/sand as well.

14. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Why do you guys remind me about buying LFS last year? ;_;

15. JGraf

JGraf Registered

keyboard key combination, while in-car.
    press: alt+

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

hmmm i dont remember it on lfs, the flatspots that is, i dont think it was there.

17. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

The CPU load related to the tires is not just about the graphics features, but also about the complexity of the physical model.

I guess the load percent is bigger in my machine (bare minimun game requirement, ie e6600 at stock frequency) compared to more powerful CPU, but just to show you all, look to the shots, taken offline with only my car in the weekend.

Keep in mind that the tire model used by the AI is, less or more, the same model used by humans in rF1. :)

Attached Files:

18. zim2323

zim2323 Registered

I don't get it. I'm not seeing where any of those pics are showing any kind of CPU load specifically from the tire. Can someone tell me what I'm missing?

19. C3PO

C3PO Registered

The length of the purple line in the top right hand box is shorter when the AI is activated, compared to when the AI is not running the car. That means the AI is using fewer CPU cycles, as the purple line is a measure of CPU load.

20. C3PO

C3PO Registered

The length of the purple line in the top right hand box is shorter when the AI is activated, compared to when the AI is not running the car. That means the AI is using fewer CPU cycles, as the purple line is a measure of CPU load. The physics when "we" drive is a lot more complex than the physics when the AI drive.