planning to build a super pc (sort of)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golfer_chin, Jul 7, 2013.

1. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

LOL... nice DD and Adrian... that 5ghz looks really good... I just cant do it. Its running nice right now and everytime I fiddle with something it seems like its 3 days until I'm happy with it again. I promised myself I would drive the cars too.

I'm not planning on yanking off the cooler for quite some time... but Ivy Bridge E... who knows.... lol

2. Bart S

Bart S Member

TBH durge ur right about that TIM on the cooler, I already pulled it and replaced with AS5 and I lost 1-2C still they say it takes time to cure. Orded some MX2 for my IHS removal plan hope its good enough, at 4.5ghz my hotest core hits 96, coolest core 78 so Im hoping for quite a big improvement. Temps are after 30min prime. If i can get 80-81C cross the board I will go for 4.6GHz.

3. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Also use artic cleaner or similar ;)
    I still happy with AS temps on the 2 liquid coolers I had yeah.

If I brought a new one I would be inclined to remove radiator and motherboard in one piece even to clean ( blow radiator out ) or change cases, etc.

Just letting other people know if you do a smooth install and tighten evenly you very well can't do better then the TIM so do not waste it. :)

4. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

What exactly does TIM stand for? I'm pretty sure I know what the "T" stands for but the "IM" is stumping me.

5. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

Thermal Interface Material

6. racechicken

racechicken Registered

here is the config of my pc. Not really state of the art but able to run all of my games with full gfx.
    Screen Res. 1920x1200

rfactor2 50-80fps
    FSX 15-90fps (mostely ORBX Stuff)
    iRacing 80-190fps (depends if single or multiplayer)
    pCars 40-70fps
    rfactor1 150-600+ (no joke)
    Assetto Corsa Tech Demo around 110fps (w/o motion blur)

May it help. ;)

View attachment 8729

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Gosh watch those temps on the overclocks

I'm not boasting just because I'm water cooled but my CPU @ 5ghz never goes over max 53c
    It usually in 30c's

Water cooling us very very easy & fairly cheap for a CPU

You'll never even be concerned with temps after

8. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I think what scares most folks when it comes to water cooling is the fact that you have water very near your CPU. If there were a leak, you could fry everything. With today's technology this is normally not an issue, but old ideas stick around :) Of course there is also the cost issues, but for a lot of folks that is really a non issue. What a lot of OC'ers fail to do though is cool the GPU's with water as well which can be interesting to get into if you are not sure how to set things up. There is also the matter of heat around the drives. Hard drives can produce quite a bit of heat in a system and people should consider some of the solutions out there for that as well.