planning to build a super pc (sort of)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by golfer_chin, Jul 7, 2013.

1. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

XD

2. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

This is very good advice. When you are working with video, the more ram you have, the faster your system will be able to complete the tasks given it. The largest speed increase is likely to be when you compress the video for final output as that will chew up ram like there is no tomorrow using everything you have available.

3. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Holy crap! Double it to 64G? Really? He says he wants to do racing, 1st per shooters and flight sims. How much mem should be used for that? If it's 64G then I must be absolutely crippled with only 8G.

4. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

You bring shame to us all.

5. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Two cents since you asked:

1) 16g of quality memory should be plenty for gaming (good place to start) and that is an easy upgrade if more is needed. I like Kingston Hyper Beast.
    2) Get a better Mobo, personally I'm a fan of MSI's M-Power or X-Power Z87s
    3) As someone said, that price for a 1100 PSU is not right. Get a good brand, I like EVGA supernova.
    4) Consider a Human Racing GT rig. I had an Obutto, some people love it (although I wonder what kind of car these people drive because the seat is garbage) but it thought it was cheap. Very rigid but unsightly. Decent for the money but since you can afford a GTX 780 you can probably also afford a HRGT rig. You can add motion to it later if desired. I would recommend a T500 to go with that.
    5) Go with 27" monitors over 24" if that is the only option. I had 3x 26" and since moved to a projector setup. Each to their own but IMO triples need to be around 40" or too much environment is lost with the proper FOV. If you can go bigger than 27" you won't be sorry you did.

Cheers and best of luck.

6. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I only have 8GB right now, but do you think rF2 could use double that?

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

He also mentions later that he does video editing which will chew up the ram quickly.

8. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Sorry I didn't read far enough down. But it does raise the question, as realkman did, would doubling mine to 16 show any real gain?

9. Panigale

Panigale Banned

Short answer is no as I understand it. For gaming with one game app open at a time and nothing else running on the machine, 8g is all you should need for the moment. 16g will allow you to have something in the background and not impact your gaming but it complements a high end build which is overkill in a lot of places anyway. 32 or 64 is just money out the door unless you are doing 3D work, etc. Memory is cheap so having 16g in a new build is a safe bet.

10. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Technically, most games only require a max of 4Gb of installed memory and any 32bit OS will only recognize that much as a max. That being said, if you have a 64bit OS then yes, having more ram will help with many things, though it might still not help with your gaming.
    The only exception to this is if you are running ramdisk software on a 32bit OS as the software will be able to address the rest of the ram if you exceed 4Gb and use it for volatile storage. Good uses for this would be setting it up to be your scratch disk, setting your temp files to go into a ramdisk is also good.

11. golfer_chin

golfer_chin Registered

Hi all,

Here is the final build: (will take weeks. Shop does not have all parts, and chassis will be 2-3 weeks. Not in hurry though, just want to make it a great and long lasting build, and learn from the build process.)

Purpose: 1. race sims, 2. flight sims, 3. FPS gaming, 4. video editing.

Chassis: Obutto R3volution (Got a reply from Obutto itself and they are able to ship from Beijing to Bangkok, Thailand.)
    *Buttkicker gamer2: probably will have a friend hand-carry to Thailand later.
    CPU: i7 4770K
    MB: comparing Sabertooth & MSI
    RAM: kingston 16GB x 2
    HDD: 2x 3TB (I have more than 2TB of 720 moviews...)
    SSD 2x256GB (1 for 32bit os, 1 for 64bit os. I also like to put a lot of temp vid folders on desktop they eat up space)
    VGA GTX780 OC version x 1
    PSU Corsair 1050W (I opt for the kw version future SLI)
    O.S. Windows 7 32 bit & 64bit (for flight sim)

I double checked what setting I have on the force feedback on PS3. I have it at 1 right now just to have some resistance over bumps (full is 10).
    Definitely will post my race sim experience on this thread once it's built.

Big fans really help. My last set up was an overclocked Core 2 DUO with an overclocked GTX 280 and it was loud and hot. I added a big side fan to the case, water-cooled the cpu (funny how water-cool was quite rare in the past). The noise and temp reduction was day & night.
    *one important thing is to open the case clean up the dust often.

It is interesting for me to read that transfer rate on the SSDs is so fast! When I back up movie folders between HDD it is a very tedious job.

Right now opt for 16GB x 2, leaving 2 slot for future expansion if needed. And yes video rendering is hard work for CPU & RAM. Rendering a video can be an over-night job with CPU working 95%+ all the time!

I know Obutto is not good looking but I like it's adjustability, and very good for 3 purposes (race & flight sim, work desk.)
    Human Racing is a Thai product, we have it here!
    No motion for me, too old!
    27" triple is good. We don't have anything larger here that is genuine pc display except TV. (my dream display set up is the Oculus Rift, but that could be years before a good commericial version can ship)
    Thanks for the input man.

I am doing flight sims also and to my knowledge gained so far I would need 64bit and all the rams I can find to get the best out of this set up. Also video editing works best in 64bit environment. It seems to me that rfactor 2 does not work well with 64bit that means I need a double boot system (32bit and 64 bit). Correct me if I am wrong though.

But anyways I still run many software in 32 bit environment.

Well here is the update and I hope others will find this useful if they come across this i4770 GTX780 build.
    keep on racing!

12. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

Without knowing if there is indeed any advantage to running rfactor 2 on 64-bit (not all programs see a performance gain), i'm curious as to why you would think it's a performance loss.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
  13. golfer_chin

golfer_chin Registered

Hey man thanks.

14. Bart S

Bart S Member

I have what you want to build and all I can say F*&KING brilliant performance in rfactor 2. Keep on racing. Check my specs in my sig. I'm thinking of lapping both my cooler and CPU also doing a delid and remove the crappy intel TIM they put on, should even out the temps on all cores and then I could possibly shoot for 4.6GHz and see if that improves performance any more.

15. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

+1 for overkill
    my pc specs are very much inline with Barts Rig and your new build, you will be pretty pleased with performance with a few tweaks and some OCing

16. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

He is getting liquid cooler he said.......... ?

The TIM on Corsair and TT cooler is FAR from crappy and will seat better then you could ever do.

17. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

I was sure impressed with ease of installation, quality and fit of the h100i... was also nice that the case was predrilled and cut for it as well... pcs have come a long way in terms of ease of physically building and fitting things... It was actually fun to build mine but I really took my time... took 2 extra days off... had lots of sustenance and beer lol....

18. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Mate you regret when you have to remove them, I could not get the same temp again no matter how many times or what TIM I used. ( 2/3 C higher )

I had aircooler running my Sandy@5GHz no worries so I know how to paste........

Results below are air cooled when I only had GTX460's and Hyper212plus.
    Was winter though why temps are so good for 5GHz\Air.

Aint easy gettin them to 5GHz rock solid stable. p

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013
  19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Running an i7 2600 sandy bridge also at 5ghz (water cooled) , powerful, cool & super stable, the best chip I've ever had !

20. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Yeah that is really good for 2600K and they tend to be bit 'arder :)

Good TIM takes some of the credit.

;)