"Old" HW kicking butt again even with only 1 GPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Good one, DD. Thanks for that.

2. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Only jokin' ;)

Glad you got it running sweet :)

3. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Oh c'mon, it was a post in jest :p

Why such a serious board all of a sudden.

And yes I am to answer your question!

4. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

I don't think you realised my post was in jest...

Perhaps it needed a emoticon at the end.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

No worries, man. Yes, good to have machine working again. Had problems with server also with recent builds but now that is working, too. Feels like Xmas!

6. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

No worries at all! And I was just asking about marriage to see if your wife was logical, too. Mine's not and I am not complaining but I have some funny stories, too. As much about me as her!

7. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

Yeh and fair enough can see how it got misconstrued as such, as I said, probably should have left the tongue smilie in I originally had.

To be totally honest, I didn't even read Tim's post.

8. PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE Registered

My wife is illogical (I would say aren't they all, but my first wife who has since passed actually was logical!) and she can hardly handle my incessant requirement to order things like our bills in category and date order...which I would think is normal but when I see her rummage through a pile of what I would consider to be trash finding exactly what she needs with half the time it would take me to retrieve the same thing from my order makes me think logic and order is not all that is cracked up to be...

Anyway, MASSIVE OT. My fault, apologies.

Point being, 2 graphics cards is not optimised, still.

Carry on.

9. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

This has definitely helped me gain about 15fps - thank you.

I never even knew there were special 'multi-gpu' AA settings in Control Panel as I only ever use Inspector and those options don't seem to be there in that program (I'm not sure why - I thought it would include all the basic Nvidia Control Panel settings).

Unfortunately I'd still like to use Inspector to apply some Sparse-Grid supersampling - Control Panel only lets you apply normal supersampling and that doesn't get rid of the jaggies on the white painted track lines in this sim. It's a shame we can't have access to special 'multi-gpu' Sparse-Grid settings too.

Anyway, this has given me some things to try so thanks for the advice.

10. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

I've just found a setting in the 'SLI' section of the Inspector profiles called 'Antialiasing - SLI AA' and it is simply a switch which you can enable or disable - it was disabled by default. Enabling this switch seems to make it so that any AA setting you choose in Inspector will become a 'multi-gpu' AA, including the Sparse-Grid settings.

This is good news indeed. :)

11. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

After some searching I get the impression this setting has been around for a while and I just haven't noticed it before - I haven't had SLI for very long.

Anyway, I'm still using Inspector (which I know is against Nismo's recommendation), but using the SLI AA stuff has definitely helped me a little so I'm pleased with that.

12. FONismo

FONismo Registered

No probs glad it has helped some. I am not a fan of Inspector anymore, it causes more problems with many games than good. You should not need to use Sparse Grid really. The flickering stuff doesn't look like an AA issue to me really with rF2 even though SG does effect it. I think it's a texture problem, they are too sharp or something on some tracks. Distant objects appear too sharp. ISI tracks are the worse, Feels3 tracks I don't really see this issue really with just normal AA. Same goes with the TG track from Tuttle, don't see the issue there.

Something ISI are doing i think with textures

13. ForthRight

ForthRight Registered

Yes this is true - I don't see the problem with Feels3 tracks either, but on ISI tracks the white painted lines are very jagged without Sparse-Grid and it really stands out to me. It's a problem that goes way back through many older ISI or gmotor-based sims, so I'd be interested to hear from Feels3 how he managed to fix it - his tracks look great (smooth image) even with just basic AA applied.

Strangely when I use these new multi-GPU AA settings on Feels3 tracks the framerate goes down - it went up on Silverstone. :confused:

It was Silverstone I was trying to improve though as I couldn't run it smooth with road and environment reflections turned on, but now I can.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2013
  14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Tuttle regarding my similar comment about VLN tracks. Might answer your question...

http://isiforums.net/f/showpost.php?p=187849