"Old" HW kicking butt again even with only 1 GPU

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kknorpp001, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Need to thank Lamo for speaking up about his solid performance on a lesser card than mine.

The last several weeks have been excruciating trying to figure out what on earth happened to rf2.

One of the most frustrating aspects of the whole experience were those who have Titans completely dismissing that there are no problems with rf2 as well as those who say that my card is getting old and I should not expect much performance.

Well you both could not be more wrong. I am finally running Silverstone butter smooth on high with and will several bells and whistles. And all with only 1 GPU. I had to turn my second GPU off because unplayable stuttering.

If it wasn't for Lamo speaking up, I probably would have quit rf2 for good or at least skipped several builds. I just hope that others aren't bullied or neglected into buying hardware then don't need as that would be sad for them and their families.

My message to ISI is "where are you and what are you doing to improve this or help us?" All I've seen so far regarding 240 problems is "have you tried a re-install?" and "are you comparing like to like". Seriously?

Also, many thanks also to Hedlund also who is still in there fighting for frames.

2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

It's maybe helpfull to, I don't know, specify what your little miracle was? :p

3. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

From what you and Hedlund report it seems like some changes in the recent builds may have reduced compatibility with Crossfire/multi-GPU systems.

Also, AMD is said to be working on an improved Crossfire driver and it is supposed to be released at the end of July. Hopefully that will help. Other games such as Battlefield 3 seem to have problems with Crossfire too.

This article was interesting - http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Frame-Rating-AMD-Improves-CrossFire-Prototype-Driver

4. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

He has a dual GPU card, and he disabled Crossfire so only one GPU is used

5. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

And the moral to the story is.... Know your hardware ;)

Glad you got it working though. Honestly :)

6. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

This is what AMD posted on Twitter:

7. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Regarding optimisation for AMD cards so that there is parity with Nvidia - I'm sorry to say I don't think that will ever happen.

Either buy an Nvidia card or put up and shut up seems to be the message.

8. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

Similar position here really. My 7950 flies through most games on max/high settings. rFactor 2 is the only one that gives it problems. A GTX 680 was about £125 more expensive than my card with 1GB less vram. Picking one up would be an expensive sideways move considering my card is clocked to match a stock 680. Same thing with the GTX 770 - not much of a step up. No way I have the funds for a GTX 780, in the short term at least.

Performance isn't bad with my card. I still run Silverstone with many settings on full, and others on high. Mirrors have to be turned off and reflections have to be low or off to get a steady 60fps @ 1080p. It's just when I hear of 670 and 680 owners not having the same issues it makes you question why the game doesn't run so well with AMD cards when it's rarely an issue in other games.

9. Bart S

Bart S Member

You may as well buy a used GTX680 4Gb from the bay it is like for like witha GTX770.

10. FONismo

FONismo Registered

That's not correct though at least for me, i have great scaling and my performance is twice/three times as good with SLI. Honestly the OP is a bit of a drama queen, always has been, goes completely overboard with everything, creates threads willy nilly it seems for reactions.. I don't think ISI have done anything to kill SLI/Crossfire, it's just drivers i presume and finding a good set. Scaling top left

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Sorry original pic had v-sync enabled. V-sync disabled. perfect scaling

[​IMG]

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the way I read it from Tims posts about the subject was:

- ISI contacted AMD about performance
    - AMD eventually replied (some months later) and basically said "you're on your own"

I could be completley wrong but from the relevant posts it did'nt seem like AMD helped much at all, I have seen performance increase over time and wont be trading in my overclocked HD7850 anytime soon. As you/others I also get much better performance in any other games but RF2 is severely lacking behind an equivalent nVidia card, this simply does'nt happen in other games...sure a few games get better reulsts from AMD or nVidia but not of the differences we see here.

Should AC be similar then I'll go back to nVidia but if not then I'm not changing cards just for this one game, I hope ISI continue improvements and now that the game is "out there" they will get a lot more complaints from AMD customers (look how busy the forums have got since the demo was released!).
    It's in their best interests to improve AMD usage further, they know that and I think personally that they will eventually get there....unfortunatley for some it's just not quick enough.

13. FONismo

FONismo Registered

For anyone with SLI try these below and you will get the same scaling as above. I don't use Inspector anymore, it's causes far too mnay issues IMO with rF2. I use the NCP only with the settings attached. I get crazy fps in rF2, the game is quite SLI friendly IMO. Hopefully this helps any other SLI owners. You can add more AA if you like but it's perfect for me like that

Drivers used : 314.22

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. CosmiC10R

CosmiC10R Registered

Thanks FONismo. Your screenies rule so i will be trying that as soon as i get home.
    I find it amusing everyone thinks there drivers are perfect. if amd has big news for crossfire owners... Means there were some improvements to be made on that end as well. And just because one game works well doesnt mean all others will follow suit. People need to get off the absolutes. I have and amd/amd and an intel/nvidia setup and after trying both... Like it or not.... Intel and nvidia have the lead right now.

15. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I can't comment on current AMD hardware and can only go by my previous experience with AMD which was a long time ago with a 4870x2 and back then all sims ran much better with nVidia. It seems now aswell this could be the case with rF2 and current AMD setups.

I wouldn't of answered a thread like this normally but the thread is just so dramatic and silly that i think someone has to balance it with facts. And the fact is, this situation right now does indeed seem to be more AMD based. And so the thread is misleading as nothing has happened to dual GPU systems and rF2.

16. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

I've read that article but I just can't believe I'll get the performance boost that is needed. Maybe the microstuttering disappears, but what about performance? I have terrible performance with crossfire in rF2, also BF3 I get less frames than with single card. Thing is that when I pick one of my 7970's out, I'll still have much less performance in rF2 than one could expect. In BF3, however, the performance is very good: 70-100 fps with high/ultra settings, never drops below 60. With rF2 however, I have 30 fps in Silverstone's pit exit on high settings, and only single screen! 30fps in the start with 15 AI's. How will I possibly be able to play 3 monitors? It doesn't work even if I lower settings to medium and disable reflections.

And the GPU usage is 90-98% on both cards while playing rF2! With BF3 it's only 40-50% so there I can imagine there's something up with the drivers...

Maybe drivers could solve cf-problems with BF3, because the GPU usage is so low but still I get +50 fps as lowest. But I just don't believe in that my 7970's will ever perform well with rF2. And the silence from ISI is quite frustrating. Because of that, I ordered a very high-end nvidia-card yesterday... I'll sell my amd cards.

17. FONismo

FONismo Registered

hahahaha love it! Welcome to the dark side, the green side :D Nvidias just rock

18. Simon Druce

Simon Druce Registered

I recently sold my 6970 and blew my life savings on a GTX780! doh! While its a massive improvement its still not good enough to run triple screens! Will probably end up selling my house to fund this hobby!

19. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

This probably isn't the best time or place, but I'm disappointed by the texture quality of that cockpit.

Those hex heads look terrible and the color artifacts on the hand grips is really noticeable. :(

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

OMG where to start? I would normally ignore this kind of nonsense but since you keep repeating yourself and because I have a free moment I will respond.

Regarding drama where are you getting that? And aren't you the one making dramatic videos while you jerk off to cars bouncing?

I'm talking about AMD, einstein.

How is it silly to want your hardware to work with rf2?

Also, your personal attacks are offensive and harmful and I don't appreciate you slandering me and suggesting that people dismiss my concerns.

Tim, why do you allow such personal attacks? Why is this any different from calling names?

Yeah you shouldn't have answered this thread or you should have been mature and stated your differences in a civilized manner and would have realized there was an explanation, but instead you just come out swinging with personal attacks because of who wrote the post instead of the merit of their post. Good job, FONismo.