Williams JPH1B FIA F2 v1.41 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jul 5, 2013.

1. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

Maybe maybe maybe... I think the drivers who have driven the real car (eg. Luciano Bacheta) know better than any of us ;)

If one doesn't like how the car feels, one can always drive FR3.5, Marussia or FISI.

2. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

For me it feels good (T500RS here).

Much more fun in Silverstone than F1 cars :p

3. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

+1 , very happy with FFB

4. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

This thing is so much fun with an H shift n clutch :)

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Don't they have paddles ( the real world version ? )

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2013
  6. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

The FFB turns this car from a certainly popular car that is well loved to one of the least enjoyable driving cars around, and it's literally all down to the FFB. Yes, the real car very well could be like that. However, that is the real car. Unfortunately, without FFB you can't tell what the car is doing at all in the corner in a sim outside visual cues. At the end of the day, my butt isn't in the car, there is no seat of the pants feel. To get around this, I basically crank the snot out of the FFB, which then causes severe clipping at anything above medium speed. It's basically like stepping back to F1C.

It's drivable, it's fun as can be in that small speed zone where the FFB exists, but overall the FFB is beyond terrible. Whatever the opposite of confidence inspiring is, the rF2 F2 is in a low speed corner.

Is there any particular reason caster is locked? It's not something that should really affect lap times? I'm not sure it's purely caster though, as you can see the FFB chugging away, it's just very, very, very weak which I'm not sure caster would cause. (turning to the inside of the corner, yes, but not sure how it would soak up the FFB) The same numb / low FFB is something that plagues every downforce car in rF2, not sure it's entirely a F2 issue, though it isn't helping.

7. DrR1pper

DrR1pper Registered

What wheel are you using? If it's a g25, then that's the culprit. I upgraded from a g25 to a CSR-Elite and the FFB was a heck of a lot more defined 24/7. Still went extremely loose at certain points around corners (especially exits) but i think that's meant to happen and it feels with the excessive power shifting weight off the fronts (for example).

8. Empty Box

Empty Box Registered

Fanatec CSW.

It's the way FFB is done in rF2, there is a reason I said it happens in all of the downforce cars and it isn't solely a F2 only issue. At high speed, it takes significantly more force to turn the wheels, the car is pushed into the track. This is the same with any car with downforce, be it F1 car or the Meganes. Compare the weight of the wheel on turn in to Maggotts and turn in to Club. The wheel is a lot heavier at speed, lot more resistance. This may not be entirely wrong at all, however it forces a compromise between low speed feel and high speed feel due to the equipment being used by 99% of us, as to get weight / forces down at low speed the FFB will clip at high speed.

A real car / something like the Bodnar wheel has enough range that it can output strong force at low speed and not be clipping at high speed. The OW downforce driven cars highlight this behavior as they have a higher corner speed, so the slow corners really show off the difference. Almost any hardware we simracers have is just too weak to have the dynamic range with proper forces.

Go download TechAde's pedal overlay which displays FFB output as well (it's on the forums, search for it should be easy to find) and you can see just how massive the forces scale up to. I believe this is why people feel that rF2 is like driving on ice, as without the FFB it does indeed become like ice.

9. DaniloJF

DaniloJF Registered

Thats why we need a linearity curve for FF just like we have for pedals and steering.

10. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Perhaps there could be a ffb normalization option similar to audio normalization where quiet sounds are amplified and loud sounds have volume reduced automatically

11. Coanda

Coanda Registered

G'Day Tim,

Any thoughts pal?

mm

12. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

+1

13. nosslrac

nosslrac Registered

I feel like Ive raised the FFB of most cars since the last update. I use a G27 and have the FFB in-game set to 2.86(almost 1.0 higher than in build 218) and smoothing to seven.
    I agree with some previous posters that the FFB is way too weak at lower speeds, but Im getting used to it.

Another thing I noticed with the latest version of the F2 cars is that I had to lower the brake pressure a lot to avoid locking. I used to have it set to 85-90% but now I have to go as low as 50% on some tracks! (Note that I use the pedals which came with the G27)
    Lastly, the tire pressures are still in psi, and the suspension is still in lbs, even though Ive set the game to use the metric system.

14. MJP

MJP Registered

I'd say that's almost certainly due to the use of the 'Special' menu display overrides feature in the HDV file.

15. nosslrac

nosslrac Registered

Are you saying I can change this myself?

16. MJP

MJP Registered

Not really no, well you can but you'll have to repackage the car file which means you'll end up with a different checksum from the original.

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

But if RFactor 2/ISI are doing the ffb/physics/suspension geometry the correct way, but some of our equipment isnt that great and therefore doesnt give the best experience when using the proper correct in-game values, then can you really blame ISI for going the all out correct route? Isnt that a hardware issue, not a game issue?

18. Takumi

Takumi Registered

Overall ffb is pretty good, but in slow speed it is... not the best really. Hard feel car movement and other stuff when you can't get any feedback. I am G27 user.

19. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

That depends on what one thinks of as 'the best' of course. If the camber is that little IRL than the forces are simply week at slow speeds and are tire forces/moments not really accentuated.

20. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

You mean "caster", not "camber", right?