How do I get the Corvette to be really sequential?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by O11, Jul 2, 2013.

1. O11

O11 Registered

The Corvette's gearbox shifts to neutral for a moment when I shift up. When you do this without lifting it ofcourse unsettles the car.
    As far as I know the corvette has a sequential dogbox that is shifted sequentially from gear to gear. Not from gear to neutral to gear.

Can I change a setting somewhere in some file to get this corrected?

2. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Sv: How do I get the Corvette to be really sequential?

You can set 'auto lift' to 1 in player file, right under 'auto blip'. But in only works when auto clutch is enable, unfortunately.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

3. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

It's better if ISI fixes it in the source if it's not implemented correctly :)

4. Ash74

Ash74 Registered

Just check that the neutral is not mapped to a key

5. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That's the way the transmission works in that car. You have to lift while shifting. If I recall in the real car you can choose to have auto-blip and auto clutch on the gears in one direction. Meaning, you either have to use the clutch and/or lift on the way up the gears or on the way down. The other way does not require the clutch/lifting. I prefer to lift on the way up and use the auto shifting for downshifting. It's much easier to upset the balance of the car with a clumsy clutching error while braking and downshifting (for me at least).

We don't have a proper clutch implemented yet in rF2, so not sure exactly how this is working in-game.

6. O11

O11 Registered

It might be necessary to lift while shifting in some sequential boxes. But that is to reduce the mechanical stress on the gears which makes shifting impossible otherwise. A sequential gearbox simply does not shift to neutral between gears. It's not designed to do that. On the contrary, it is designed specifically to avoid going through neutral between gears (and to avoid misshifts and wrong gear selection).

That's the mechanical part and is separate from the electronic (or in some cars mechanical) blipping or lifting during up or downshifting. The simulated mechanical principles of the rF2 gearbox model are flawed at the base. We are lifting during upshifts for the wrong reasons now.

7. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

So much wrong information in one post...
    No the car has a throttle/ignition cut that allows you to keep your foot in while shifting up, so advising you need either a clutch or lift is both very wrong. It's a dogbox so a clutch is pretty much never needed if you can properly shift down. You can always heel n toe if you are used to that tho and you're nto comfortable with left foot braking

The last sentence is correct :)

8. Deadpedal

Deadpedal Registered

I have always advocated that auto-lift and auto-blip should not be limited by auto-clutch being enabled. But my real preference would be to have the vehicle HDV file define and limit whether auto-blip and auto lift are actual features of the actual car regardless of actual player.ini settings. I prefer to use a clutch but don't like to be at a disadvantage to those who have flawless auto-lift and auto-blip enabled. If its defined only by the HDV, that's "a level playing field."

9. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

What Corvette team is the OP referring to? Different teams will use different gearboxes.

The 2009 C6.R used a stick Sequential shift (not paddles yet- that came in 2011) linked to a Xtrac 6-Speed Sequential. From what I can gather (it's hard to find this info) it's an Xtrac 427 in-line sequential 6 Speed that was used by factory teams. Privateers might use a different gearbox.

This gearbox does not do seamless gear shifts, there is a slight delay (google 2009 C6.R GT and see some in-car videos). This is not an F1 gearbox, the website says it is a cost-effective solution for mid- to high-capacity.

http://www.gtspirit.com/2012/12/07/video-ride-shotgun-with-tommy-milner-in-his-corvette-c6-r-racer/ in this video with Tommy Milner you can hear him blipping the throttle on downshifts and it sounds like he is lifting on upshifts, though you can't see his feet. So I think ISI got it right with this car.

10. O11

O11 Registered

As I said, a sequential box does not shift to neutral when up or downshifting. Lifting during shifts or blipping doesn't have anything to do with the mechanical impossibility of the Corvette gearbox in rF2.

Also the paddle shifted newer Corvettes (from that video) have a normal sequential gearbox, you can hear that the upshifts are incredibly violent with all that torque (flippin' awesome!), there is no delay. Also you don't see the display on the dash going to "N" for a moment. The box is just a normal sequential one. It is just pneumatically operated and the engine cuts or blips by itself. But the mechanics are the same.

The entire point of the sequential geabox is NOT interupting the mechanical link between engine and driveshaft. The simulated one does this anyway, for no reason.

11. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

You got it all wrong. The N that is displayed in the ISI Corvette is just a graphical thing- besides, a gearbox that is temporarily not in gear is effectively in Neutral :rolleyes: The shifts are not instantaneous.

I linked the wrong video- that is the new flappy paddle Corvette I meant for comparison- here's the older gearbox stick shift sequential in action

12. Natureboy

Natureboy Registered

...to provide a driver with a simple shift mechanism with the benefit of quicker gear changes and fewer missed shifts. No matter how the mechanism is arranged, one gear must always be disengaged before the next is engaged. So effectively; the gear box always goes into neutral during a shift, no matter how gears are selected or how short the duration.

Physically, the selector barrel does not go to the neutral position so you will not see neutral selected on the dash unless the data system is programmed to do so, usually it will just go black. Looks like ISI has "N" programmed to display while no gear is selected and that is why you see that. Make sure autolift is working or just lift to shift.

13. O11

O11 Registered

I understand how it works in real life, but it still goes into neutral in the sim while shifting when it shouldn't. Am I the only one having the drivetrain disconnect while upshifting? This should not be.

14. O11

O11 Registered

Or maybe it should disconnect through neutral and I'm completely wrong.

15. dandar

dandar Registered

The cogs in the gearbox must uncouple and couple again, in high performance systems also a power cutter engages until the shifting process ends, so the pilots are able to keep the gas pedal pressed. But anyway when the cog uncouples the gearbox goes neutral (at least for a few miliseconds).

16. dandar

dandar Registered

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Almost every tranny in the world takes a bit of time between each gear to the next disengaging/engaging, even though it may just be 50, 150, etc milliseconds. That tiny delay would essentially be time in neutral/time with the clutch pressed in. I'm pretty sure the corvette isn't any different.

Also, F1 cars don't have an "N" on the dash in between gear changes either, but that doesn't mean that there is no tiny "between gears/neutral time" in their upshifts, as the rules do not allow truly 100% seamless gearboxes. So just going by what a dash readout displays is probably not the best piece of info to go by.

It's already been explained multiple times, in real life it will essentially be in neutral in between gears as well, in real life the drivetrain will be disconnected for a short period of time as well. It's just that the engineers set up the electronics/software to maybe not show the tiny momentary time it's essentially in neutral on the dash readout.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2013
  18. samuelw

samuelw Registered

I think it's the "not lifting" that unsettles the car.
    SW

19. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Also changing your shift point just a little can help with this too.

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

I would think with the Corvette, there should be no lifting or clutch usage when going up the box. Using a quickshifter/some form of ignition cut unloads the box for the tiny amount of time it takes to change gears. Also a small amount of fuel is passed through which ignites and gives that quite loud bang that goes with each shift.

Downshifting. Well it seems almost to be personal preference among drivers. A look through the V8 Supercar drivers shows all sorts of methods. Some dont clutch, some do. Some say that you must clutch to look after everything, then I see drivers running long races and stints who dont use the clutch. And then you can get things like throttle blippers that will take care of the blip for you.
    The bigger problem here is probably the clutch and gear simulation in game, and what technologies are actually in the cars we are driving. It was hard enough trying to figure out whether this Corvette model should be allowed traction control, and even now I still don't know XD