Reflections on state of rFactor2 at 18 months

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Jul 1, 2013.

1. BlaringFiddle5

BlaringFiddle5 Registered

and indy isn't total oval - its about half and half - road vs oval.

2. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Indycar is one of my favorite series for just that reason. There is an Indycar 08 mod kicking around that needs some tweaking (and tires) and I'd love to do a mini-season with it using the ovals we have combined with an equal number of road courses.

3. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

the usual suspects(including me...) joind the thread and look where we ended up again...It was actually a very interesting "intial" post.

back to the topic:

my point of view of rF2 today:

1. ISI content is sufficient(for now...) and is high quality. (even though a bit open wheeler dominated)

2. FFB/Physics: very good at most times... some cars like the corvette do however feel strange. (CSW with BMW RIM). But I have never driven this car. I've also never driven the skippy in real life but this one feels so alive in rF2! (again there: my only comparison is iracing)

3.Track-Mods: lots of and good quality; not sure if they really use all rF2 features...(whatever these might be)

4. Car-Mods: except commercial T5 series, nothing close to be drivable (I'd be more than happy to be wrong on that one...let me know if I missed some car mod)

5. GFX: ok at 100% quality + max AA; performance is however pretty bad! If you lower quality to increase FPS, rF2 does not look good anymore. /
    5.1 lack of proper tripple screen support in terms of performance and configuration options. On my PC (966BE@3800 + 7970 @1200/1700) i often have little "stutters". I can choose whatever resolution or quality level but it's going disappearing completly. (FTOAD: No, I dont' have this in any other game...from Crysis 3 to iRacing, AC...)

6. Online racing: disappointing to "me". I was initially expecting an online racing system(considering the annual online fee pricing model). Right now it's nearly impossible to do casual racing. (jaja...leagues.... counter-jaja > other games provide such features.... and I'm even willing to pay for it... )

no general verdict here... just my ponctual thougts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
  4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Ditto for me in the u.s. Only non motorsport I watch is cycling and tennis, both of which I also paticipate in directly as an athlete.

5. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

@ Cracheur, don't forget Lola.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Looks VERY drivable to me :)

7. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

rf2@18months=uninstalled.

Waiting for Camaro/Cobra, but if they drive like Corvette, uninstall again.

8. C3PO

C3PO Registered

On the FFB comments I've seen -- I always crank FFB up to 2.0, too weak otherwise for me.

Last night I saw too another instance of the Yellow Box Car, which should have been a Nissan GT-R GT1. Oddly, in replay it was a GT-R but on track some kind of holding model. Any idea what is causing this? Second time I have seen it in as many online sessions.

9. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

This has been answered many times already.

When you are on track and somebody joins the server and hits the track while you are still on track, you will see that car as yellow template car until you return to pits and hit the track again, then you see it as normal.

10. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Ah -- many thanks. Presumably this is to mitigate any stutter issue on loading the opponent's full car.

11. Ricknau

Ricknau Registered

Not surprising that N American interest is low for all the reasons mentioned but I'd think the S American participation would be higher. I know from my past league experience that there is a very enthusiastic open wheel road racing crowd down there. I suspect all the publicity (whether true or not) about the difficulty in getting good performance without a super computer could be holding them (and people everywhere) off. Though to my logic, I think one could break even on graphics quality (compared to say GPL) by turning it down and gain the great FFB and physics of fF2 without having to do much if any upgrading of HW.

Personally I'm more interested in league racing than pick-up races. I just need to find one that focuses on historic open wheelers. :( I may have to start one...

12. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Has anyone else had to increase their ffb level for build 240. Prior to around build 156 I kept mine at 1.0 and then had to decrease to between 0.30 and 0.50 and now back up to 1.0. Anyone else? Sorry if I missed that this was expected somewhere. No complaints as everything is OK now and was OK then but just curious if expected and maybe curious if means something.

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Might be related to tire changes with the cars lately.

14. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I have heard the same regarding S Americans and HW requirement concerns. Makes less sense now, maybe, but I believe many of them were concerned early on and haven't tried again since. I expect a mass exodus from rF1 down there once issues are sorted and especially when mods for their leagues become available.

FYI, see the following regarding historic open wheel league I am starting:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/13395-60s-F1-fun-league?p=186589#post186589

15. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Makes sense. Thanks.

16. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Growing up in the USA as a kid, Nascar was about the only exposure to racing that many of us had - except for the occasional Indy car race. Today, I much prefer watching GT or TC series myself. Many people here say that Nascar oval racing is just so much easier to follow and spectate compared to multi-class road racing. And there is also the "Made in America" thing that is very popular now.

17. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Exactly. rF1 also worked this way. They are called temp cars. They are a pain in the butt in rF1 because they are hard to see and the collision points don't match the car so they are easy to run into.

In rF1 there were a few temp car mods that replaced temp cars with golf carts and stuff like that. Hehe.

18. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I think if we had more TV coverage of road racing in the US, racing other than NASCAR would catch on. It is sad that even if you have the Speed TV channel, real racing coverage is very limited. I hope this changes now that NASCAR/Grand-Am and ALMS merged. Grand-Am always gets more coverage but I enjoyed following ALMS more.

But yeah, in the US people think NASCAR = Racing. If you tell someone you like racing and they say, "oh NASCAR" and you say, "No I like road racing", they then say, "oh like the Fast and the Furious movie". AHHHHHH!!!

They also think that if it doesn't have wheel wells that it is an "Indy Car".

19. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

In the Netherlands where I come from, when I say I like racing they say ''oh bicycle racing'' and then I say no race cars and they go ''oh like the fast and the furious movies''
    and I say yes, because they don't care anyways. like the gf persisting my simulation software is just a video game. makes me foam to the mouth. I once punched her rabbit in the face for saying that.
    She's not saying that anymore now.

Not sure I won the argument though. I seldom do.

20. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

LOL. So true...

Regarding calling sim racing a videogame, I have an ongoing joke with my kids about sim racing is clearly not a videogame, but a way of life :p