C6R setup for RF2 Demo player ( alien-like setup )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Morgan Morand, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Nhra Racer

Nhra Racer Registered

Thanks LabR4t. Got it and was able to get the setup in there! :) Thanks for the help man!

2. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

Please ISI - if you want people to buy rF2 - change the setup in the demo. The difference between the default and the setup in this thread is night and day.

3. Bart S

Bart S Member

That default setup your complaining about is actually a well balanced setup for all tracks in general, its your duty to change it to best suit your needs for a specific track. You cant expect ISI to tune the car with different setups for each track and then those that don't exist yet. Part of building setups is also based around your driving style, what works for one driver could be the opposite for another.

4. traind

traind Registered

Why assume any of us new demo users are coming from arcade games? Many of us early demo users are sim racing fans that have been waiting on the fence about RF2. I am not sure about anyone else but I have been using "sims" for years but still don't like doing setups. I know plenty of people who are that way-- we hunt for shared set-ups in iRacing or whatever title. Yes, setups are required in all racing but many of us prefer to spend our limited entertainment time driving instead of fiddling with things an engineer would be doing in a race team.

Thus, for people in this camp, I think it is a bit foolish to have default setups be so edgy, for a demo in particular but for the regular title as well.

Someone else mentioned that the default is a balanced set-up for other tracks but there are two problems I see with that: 1) we don't have other tracks in this demo and are judging a purchase based on what is included. 2) I am having a hard time seeing that it is balanced when the back end flies out so easily in a simple turn. If we want the feeling of driving in the rain when it is dry we will stick with another well known sim service that replicates that feeling pretty effectively, thank you! And, at least to me, the default set may give the impression that RF2 has only that type of handling.

Morgan solved those issues with his setup but I think at least some who try the demo will not take the time to research this.

5. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Exactly. +1

6. Miro

Miro Registered

It is exactly what you get when buying the sim. Same setup.
    Of course you have some valid points but meanwhile I got used to ISI's decisions.
    Sounds maybe a bit weird but they do what they do their own way and often it turns out to be a good way after some time.

If ISI would want to make it easier they would have included another car in the demo.

7. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

No, without TC, you need to soften the rear otherwise it's a mess. It's a basic setup that doesn't work anywhere.

8. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

You are wrong. I use default EVERYWHERE when I'm there for the first time to learn the track. No problems at all.

How am I able to do this? Magic? ;>

I even use very low downforce levels on the vette when I start changing things in default set and still remains very stable.

This car isn't black art magic that needs some exorcisms. It's just an another car with 4 black wheels that needs to be driven properly. That's it.

9. traind

traind Registered

I appreciate your balanced, rational response! Of course, it is ISI's choice in the end. I have run across multiple people on other forums having a very poor first impression with the car. I posted Morgan's set up and at least one person found the whole experience to be completely different, in a positive way, as did I.

It's just feedback for ISI but it is based upon more data than just my own... and in this thread plus others on other forums. If the goal is to expand the user base and sell more RF2 then it is hard to see how it is maximized with the current setup. Racers who love tinkering with setups would take Morgan's setup and tinker until it gets faster for them. But it doesn't work as well the other way around.

10. traind

traind Registered

IMO, that means very little relative to the situation. Perhaps you are a better driver than most or perhaps you have just learned to drive RF2's default setups through many hours working at it. Either way, what about all the people who try the demo that do not have that experience? A good number of them may not have the patience or expertise you do. And we aren't suggesting dumbing down the physics... just adopt a more user friendly setup for the demo.

I had the good fortune to attend Skip Barber driving school years ago. I imagine that they could have tuned the cars to be quicker in the hands of the instructors. But they didn't... they kept a basic setup that was approachable for the students. Think of the demo participants as the students in this case and Morgan's setup as the student one :)

And think of the potential disaster for some at the school if the cars were fully "instructor tuned" ... similar to people trying out the demo and never buying RF2.

OK, enough of this... I am writing as if I had a financial stake in ISI !

11. Miro

Miro Registered

IMO the thing is even if this setup would be default people would complain it's like on ice. Then somebody would suggest to make a proper rubber line default. After that there would be still some complaining about the car. And after that then the gfx.

There are so much negative vibes towards rF2 on the net and 80% of it is due to false information, lack in experience in rF2 or just wrong expectations (it should be like this sim or that sim).

Rf2 needs time, it's not a plug and play title, it basically simulates too much, lol.
    Even if people would buy it the experience is the same no matter car or track if they don't invest enough time to discover some stuff.

Even one of the devs mentioned that .gt5 would win against rF2 if the user has just 10 mins time.

However conclusion is people which like it know why they like it and the others would request a refund anyway in rF2's current state.

12. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Let's be honest. rF2 isn't title for everybody. We sometimes see people comming here saying: "This game looks crap, I don't care about how it feels over the curbs, I don't care that changing ride height by 0.5 cm changes the car. I just wanna this game to look better than Crysis 3!" Yeah... I bet there are many other guys that tried this game and thought that hardcore simracing isn't for them.

How I see it. If there are true simracers, that want a challenge and best physics on the market they are gonna end up in rF2 no matter what.

You could make rF2 more appealing to the masses but you would have to sacrifice some things which means you would have to make the game worse, simplier. If you're making a sim, your idea is to create sth with best physics, accurate simulation of conditions etc... only just to make them easier, unrealistic and it's not how it supposed to behave (cars or other features) just to be more newbie friendly.

You can't have both. ISI clearly wants to create the ultimate sim and I believe they know that there are people that don't like it or plainly can't handle it.

I'm glad that they keep on doing what they are doing and creating full blown sim. :)

@Traind
    Please, don't make me look as some kind of pro or sth. ;) True, I just have lots of patience, time to work on my driving, technique and so on. I've been simracing for 6 years and I still have LOTS to learn. I did some races at Silverstone with C6R online this weekend and all of them with default (slightly changed gear ratios and brake bias) and I had to really learn how to drive this car around the track. I'm a slow learner, but once I've practiced enough I'm quick. ^^

My point was that default setup isn't some kind of bonkers stuff. It's just A default setup. It's the base from you could start and change things to suit them more to the track that you are on at the moment. Default setup doesn't say: Default setup for THIS particular track. Believe me once you learn how to use motec you will love to play with your setups. Sometimes I spend several hours just on analysing telemetry and adjusting my setup and my style along with it. One day you will like it too. :D

13. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

I think it's perfectly normal to want to stay close to the default values, because psychologically, it feels like "this" is the car, and tweaking anything is going away from reality towards an easier to drive simcade feel. I simply disagree with that, and I think the car should be easier to drive casually and difficult to push to the limit.

If I'm on the edge every time I want to do a few laps, it doesn't make sense to me. BTW, I don't like iRacing. Maybe that explains it.

14. williang83

williang83 Registered

I really hope that you are kidding. So you are telling that to keep reality fidelity we must leave the default setup?! Totally wrong! No pilot ever leave the "default setup"! There is no master setup which everyone should fit, it is rather the opposite the driver change to a setup that fit its style.
    You are just completely out of real life fidelity and behavior......

15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Well, it's not the case with every car. Some cars need to be driven on absolute limit to maintain grip and simply to stay alive. Driving them casually might ironically be more dangerous than bonkers fast driving.

Ofc when we aren't talking about for example Kia Cee'd xD

Racing cars are called like this for a reason. They are meant to be raced and they are made in such a way that they give you maximum confidance and grip when you push. They aren't meant to be driven around the countryside at 20 mph. :)

Ofc some things will improve in the future like mechanical grip which is still a bit off, but they will get it right eventually. :)

16. traind

traind Registered

Hard to argue with any of that. I think it is an "AND". What you said is true... and... a setup like the OP gave in this thread would help ease a new demo user into the title. Instead of reinforcing the negatives they may have heard. After all, the set-up is not changing the physics model, it is working within it. Using it, with no driver aids like traction/stability, makes RF2 (arguably) a better initial drive for a newcomer from other sims like Simbin or GSC2012.

17. traind

traind Registered

OK, this has clearly hooked me in so soon I will probably be opening the wallet. :)

I just went back to the demo and tried both setups for qualifying. I started with default and ran 4 laps on uphill chicane and netted a 54.005. Then I did 6 laps with Morgan's setup and ran a 53.203. Not content, since I am still getting used to the uphill chicane variant of the track and RF2 itself, I went back to default for 4 laps and ran a 52.786.

What did I learn? 1) I keep getting faster as I learn the car and track in the demo so the comparisons may not be too scientific as I am not at steady state yet. 2) Still, I was faster in the default setup 3) But Morgan's setup, particularly the FFB, feels a lot better. It seems to be removing most of the deadzone from my G25 so the steering is nice and taught around center and I like that feel much better than the default.

So, Morgan, what did you do in your setup to produce that FFB feel? David (in the other forum) also mentioned the FFB improvement so it seems like it isn't just me.

18. Miro

Miro Registered

Before you load the setup just click on it and hit the compare button. After that you'll see the differences.

Edit: I would run longer stints, and I said loud "I".
    Don't forget if you just start on the track the rubber builds up also and the times are gettin faster aaaand I also need 1 or 2 laps to get some temp in the tires.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

20. Jameswesty

Jameswesty Registered

Or you know maybe a good number of people are actually capable of spotting:

- The same physics issues that have plagued most simulators ( low speed grip issues , lack of "bite", no comunication of rear end grip though FFB in given situations )

- The fact that the interface is awful

- The fact that the game runs allot worse than other games

- The fact that sharp rumbles destroy G25, G27 (the most popular FFB wheels) with the only solution being to put large amounts of filtering on the FFB

- The fact that content is all over the place and getting into a server can be a real chore ( ISI seem to be improving this now )

In the end Rf2 is probably worth $45 regardless but prity much all the complaints I have ever read about RF2 are totally legitimate , If annything RF2 has an over-active apologist community ready to pounce on any criticism of the game.

RF2 also seems to have a entrenched user base that are willing to take whatever ISI produce as being the reality of what it is to drive x car.

So you saying "there are so much negative vibes towards rF2 on the net and 80% of it is due to false information" is simply not true.

Again for people that will obviously be offended by what I said , I am not saying people should not ever buy RF2 or that its bad value for money , but RF2 is clearly very rusty and has very obvious issues as you would expect from software that's essentially still alpha/beta.

Ironically I find the C6R with its default set-up quite intuitive to drive.

It has problems , unresponsive in the centre , low speed corner grip issues , lack of bite turning into corners, lack of feel of rear grip on slow corners , unrealistic instability over bumps.

But compared to other cars in RF2 most of the issues wont surprise you when driving and on a track like Silverstone that is mostly flat and high speed the car is very predictable.

I think most people that have issues with this car have simply never developed subtle gas control.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013