Silverstone v1.01 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Plebre

Plebre Registered

Quote to MarcG

pleb (lol!) you need to learn to read the thread, it's been mentioned time and time again that Silverstone is a much more demanding track graphically therefore it will eat fps, show me the same detail in mid Ohio....I dare you!

So I will stay at Mid Ohio, not at my plans to buy a new PC just to turn Silverstone or any ISI contents that are demanding.

2. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

As you've seen on the pCars forum, some people are easily convinced by one title and never convinced by another.

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

The main theme of alot of this forum seems to be about graphics, I can understand this as through the years graphics have been a good first impression benchmark of how advanced/current a software title is

To me & no doubt the majority of others physics are the number one thing, but I must admit I spend alot of time tweeking graphical settings to obtain the best quality visual experience possible (as well as spending a small fortune on hardware lol )

So far though I've not found a case in a racing sim where there is cutting edge top notch graphics as well as profesional simulator physics, examples below :

Dirt 2 & 3 -let's say these are top notch static graphics & fun physics but not profesional grade physics

Iracing -top notch physics (yes we know not perfect ) but fairly standard "static" graphics but they really make the best of them

Pcars -(NOTE : I've not tried this but just posting impression) top notch cutting edge graphics but lacking in the physics dept

Rfactor 2 - Like iracing in the graphics dept except with alot of added features : not static (time of day/HDR/weather etc) , top notch profesional grade physics (some aspects WIP I know)

AC -I'm not sure about this one, it seems to be promising both but we shall see

Richard burns rally -top notch physics but fairly standard "static" graphics but again they really make the best of them

I'm pretty much at ease with the fact that we can't have both at the moment, physics is so high on my priority list that I can really forgive slightly sub standard graphics lets use rf1 as an example for this by 2013 standards -I'd be happy if this was the only option,
    But things are so much better, rf2 I think in some aspects actually over delivers in the graphics department when it's at it best
    (certain tracts/certain time of day etc )

We mustn't lose the aspect that should be most important & that is this is a racing simulator, to race to compete, to learn more about race craft & improve skills & pitch those skills against our fellow competitor ( or AI of you must )

On a last note, I still feel that from a graphical point of view, for rf2 the best is still yet to come, so right now we must be more physics focused ( tire model / collision model / drive train / clutch / aqua planning on wet / I could go on ) in comparison .... A few jaggies or slightly lower textures are insignificant

P.s I'm perfectly happy at the quality of silverstone, straight clean solid uncluttered not overcomplex look is good to my eye
    No stupid blur effects or all of those other things

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  4. KernigWRC

KernigWRC Registered

You forgot Richard Burns Rally!

5. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

People aren't asking for blur effects, just improved material shaders and natural colors

6. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Yes, rF2 graphics do actually look spectacular at the right place and time, and the physics is best in class. I have been complaining about anti-aliasing lately but overall I am impressed with the graphical quality.

I agree with your point about physics vs graphics. I enjoy the DCS series of flight simulator games, they have incredibly realistic flight physics that include calculation of forces acting on each part of the aircraft. And incredibly detailed simulation of switches, weapon systems and flight control systems. The terrain graphics are a bit outdated and the performance is often terrible with framerates dropping to single digits during intense battles. But it is still the best flight sim experience I've ever had.

On the other hand, ISI probably has different people working on graphics and physics so improvements in one area might not be at the cost of the other.

7. DaniloJF

DaniloJF Registered

If you have an Nvidia Card, activate FXAA in the control panel and in the game config. With only Level 2 of AA + FXAA i get less jaggies compared to Level 8 of AA without FXAA

8. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Thanks for the tip!
    I don't have an nvidia card, but I'll see if there is a way to do something similar on AMD cards. I read somewhere on this forum that FXAA won't work if you have regular antialiasing active, maybe this has changed?

9. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

I thought I read that too. Now that I am back to driving jaggies are getting to me. Let me know if u find amd tricks and I will research the same.

10. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

Simulators that you are talking about are old, it is normal that your graphics are not good.

* Year 2009 = Graphics of 2009
    * Year 2013 = Graphics of 2013

During the years has improved the hardware and software so you must demand to any sim that this chord to the years we lived.

11. DaniloJF

DaniloJF Registered

Maybe im exagerating but FXAA really does the job.

12. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

There is an FXAA option in Radeonpro but I haven't tried it with rF2. Also SMAA may be worth looking into.

13. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

I have tried Radeonpro but it does not seem to be working properly with my card, for some reason the settings are ignored. Maybe CCC is interfering with it. I'll fiddle some more. I'm eager to try SMAA

When using the in-game rFactor 2 settings enabling standard AA turns off the FXAA (you can tell whether FXAA is active by its effects on parts of the hud). From what others report doing it through the nvidia driver works...

If Radeon Pro works on your card then it looks like you can enable FXAA and regular AA at the same time, and it has SMAA

edit: reinstalled radeonpro and it is working now. I can set CCC and radeonpro to "use application settings" for normal AA, and set FXAA on in radeonpro. In rfactor I can vary the level of normal aa, and I have FXAA set to off (but the radeonpro FXAA stays active, you can see it rounding the edges of the track loading screen progress bar)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I've got MSAA on 4xEQ, would FXAA do a better job?

15. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

You can try it and see, just check the box in rf2 and disable the other aa (in rf2 and your graphics card software). It does the job differently and can blur some things it is not supposed to but it has minimal performance impact. Doesn't help the broken white lines unfortunately.

16. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Thanks BF I will try. :)

17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I'm at work that's why I asked otherwise I would just try and see :p

18. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

FYI, I tried FXAA and it seems to be more effective than msaa and also heavier although I understand both of these are against common experience. I haven't done any formal benchmarking either but now I am on a mission against aliasing so next I will try msaa plus FXAA and smaa and report back.

19. Jamezinho

Jamezinho Registered

SMAA is supposed to be an improvement on FXAA as it doesn't blur text. I'm not quite sure how I go about enabling it through Radeonpro to get it to work in rF2.

20. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

There is indeed something fishy about Silverstone, besides AA never really getting GOOD (as it does on LRP, Croft and Poznan which runs capped 60 smooth) - I get weird flickering of the left/right cockpit mirrors in the Clio, never happens at the other tracks ? And as everyone else mentions the FPS are seriously low even with track detail set at LOW.

I've been trying to get my 7970 tripple-screen setup to work (again) using Silverstone as the benchmark and kinda got decent FPS (40-60s) - but the graphics are still jagged alot, only on this circuit ? :p