My 2 cents about the new build 240 demo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pleclair, Jun 28, 2013.

1. KeiKei

KeiKei Registered

Still remember my first drive on Grand Prix Legends demo like it was yesterday. It was insanely difficult but I was blown away and immediately hooked. Love at first try! :)

Vette and LRP is for sure great choice for demo. Another combination I would add is Brabham at historic Spa. Maybe I'd also add third combination with something simple and easy to learn like Clio at Mills.

2. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

[​IMG]

3. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I can see both sides. I ended up loving GPL, but I actually didn't do very well with the demo of it, and even after I bought it, I uninstalled it again for a month because I couldn't do it. But you have to have challenges in life... People need to know this isn't an arcade game, too. Too easy of a car could give them just as much of a false impression as a good one.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. sg333

sg333 Registered

This needs to be at the top of the RF2 downloads page, permanently :D

6. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

That was pretty well my experience too. :D Even when I reinstalled GPL a few months ago it took about 10 tentative laps of Kyalami before I could give it some beans.

7. DocJones

DocJones Registered

It's possible to add content? Nice move. :)

I know there's some info on the demo planned, but I already have the first guys in our league asking if there's any kind of restrictions built in the demo? Like for instance rF1 had just 1 hour of free play if I'm not mistaken? Is it possible to use multiplayer with the demo?

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Well, it depends on your goals I guess. Since I'm not in a league at this point, and I pretty much train with all the cars, improving my lap times one car, one track at a time, so when I learn a new track, I'll use the Clio, then when I match the AI at 105%, I switch to skip barber, 370z, vette, gtr, formula cars, historics...

But you just said you would use the car you are used to, to learn a track, I think it's pretty much self-explanatory... you know the car well already, so you don't have to learn the car+track... trying to master a vette with no rf2 experience will lead to deception... imo, unless you are already an hardcore rf1 racer, then you will probably get the hang of it after few...

9. pleclair

pleclair Registered

You mean they can download the other cars manually and install them?

10. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Same for me with LFS when it got out, then RBR did the same to me :) I put both games to side, and went back to them a while after, and when I got good at LFS, then suddenly I could do pretty good in most other sims as well. It was a very good learning tool for me!

11. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Wait, are you implying that people can add content to the demo?

12. smbrm

smbrm Registered

The graphics on player car only went wonky when I switched from 1024x768 to 1600x1200 resolution. Stripes! I have a 2.4ghz quad core and 8800GTS card.

But the game ran and the car was drive able!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  13. vittorio

vittorio Registered

I agree with the OP, driving rf2 from first release but I still have a very hard time to drive the C6R (especially on default setup and green track). E.g. the 370z is way more rewarding, nice to drift and catch. IMHO would have been a better choice.

14. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Seeing the thread about the "easy to drive" c6 setup, it's easy to see that the c6r wasn't the best choice.

That's too bad really, cause I remember when I also installed rFactor 2, I was still hot playing rFactor 1, and even tho I was doing better than I thought, the c6r was still over my means... had to tame it, but it was clearly not the car I was learning all the new tracks with.

But Tim mentioned that demo user can install other cars... I wonder if he means ISI's car or modders stuff. Cause, if someone download the t5 series, or even buys it before buying rF2... they will have a huge deception when trying out the real cars.

Also, Tim and the community will have to deal with plenty of people coming here saying that rF2 is garbage, that it's like driving on ice+lube, and so on..

There is a saying that you can't please everybody. So either way, offering the clio or corvette, will make some people unhappy. Just that I think there would be more people happier with something like Clio, which isn't boring at all to play, btw. If far from the stock car you are offered when starting in Gran Turismo. Like a stock Nissan Micra with 70hp..

I would believe that most people interested in demo'ing rF2 would be more casual players, and simcade players. The hard core sim racers, who played rF1, LFS, netKar Pro, will probably already have rF2, or at least tried it and got refunded. But maybe I'm wrong...

time will tell!

15. coops

coops Banned

spot on tim...

16. David Wright 67

David Wright 67 Registered

Is rF2 really that popular? Why so many threads appealing for more people to race on-line? I'm an experienced sim racer but haven't bought rF2 because I don't want all the hassles associated with a beta - the bugs, the updates, the poor optimisation, and the missing features. Plus apparently my G25 is obsolete and may not work well with rF2.

I suspect there are still a lot of experienced sim-racers who haven't tried rF2. I'm looking forward to trying the demo this weekend, and seeing if my G25 is useable or not.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2013
  17. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

G25 is fine. You'll only need to add a fan in it to stop it from overheating. :p

18. privatebrian

privatebrian Registered

I think you'll find theirs quiet afew drivers that use the G25 with rF2 with little to no problems at all,
    perhaps one might chime in and tell you :), and advise on some settings.

19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

G25 default settings with filtering set to 4, 107% in Logitech profiler and damper 10%. rf2 is perfectly fine with me on those settings, the updates are coming for years including free content, optimizations come every build. your choice to try a free demo, can't see the issue myself....it's a no brainer!

20. pleclair

pleclair Registered

I got both, G25 and G27, and to tell the truth, the g27 becomes hotter than g25.

Never installed a fan on any of them, and never had a problem. (replaced the g25 cause my 2 years old son broke my h shifter by shifting with too much enthusiasm :))

If you ever feel your wheel is too hot, you might wanna take a break, but I never had to, even when playing dirt 3 for long hours.

So don't feel bad for "only" having a g25, it's a very good wheel!