My 2 cents about the new build 240 demo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pleclair, Jun 28, 2013.

1. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Hey ISI,

Having a demo of rFactor 2 is a great idea. I'm sure a bunch of new people will sure try it out.

However, I believe including the Corvette might turn down some people.

I speak for myself here, and I'm fairly experienced sim racer, but when I learn a new track, I always start with the Clio, since it's the easiest car to drive. Easy to learn, hard to master.

For people getting into rFactor 2, without much experience on rFactor 1, or other sims, the Corvette might be a little hardcore, and might discourage some people from getting the game, thinking it is too tough.

Other games (not sims), like shift 2, will start you up with the slowest car, because most people just couldn't drive the bigger cars, and will need to learn the game before handling the hardest car.

IMO, the Clio or Historic F3 would be a very good choice to get people know rF2.

If you want to offer a bit more power, but still remain easy, the 370z would be a better choice again.

It's not too late to change the demo package :)

2. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I strongly disagree. Corvette is very drivable and fairly easy car to drive in my opinion. It's one of the best cars out there in terms of looks, ffb and overall feeling so opting for corvette for a demo car is the best choice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  3. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

He is right! my friend that sometimes he likes to drive in my regulation, every time I give hime the C6, after 7-8laps he gives up and asks me to give him the Clio or the Skipp!

4. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Ronnie, I have no problems driving the C6 either, or any other cars in rF2 for that matter, but most people starting with rF2 will have an harder time, I'm pretty sure.

In term of FFB, the clio is pretty much top notch. Probably the best of them all, imo. But that's my opinion.

LFS Demo didn't included the most powerful cars either, if your reasoning was right, they would have included the gt cars instead of the smaller one ;)

5. Nand Gate

Nand Gate Banned

OP is right - Corvette is tough. <-Acceptable Comment?

EDIT:

PS: Tim: Is it really necessary, to post about me in a closed forum, and then leave it there? I can neither respond to it nor defend myself. You have safely ignored my past requests to you about people abusing me (no response), yet I get warnings and told off in public - without even using any foul language or swearing (things I have suffered here a thousand times) - at all! Indeed - in response to silly and provocative posts. And FOR THAT you warn this means I qualify for the LONGEST BAN? Whatever bro. I don't deserve it.

Apologies people. I have no way of contacting Tim.
    Back to topic.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2013
  6. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

7. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

For me, the Vette drives like it's on ice for the first few laps. Maybe it just needs a different default tune for the demo.

8. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Even when set up, the vette still remains pretty hard to drive with no assist... you just can't slam the throttle as you wish, but most people who haven't played rFactor 1, netKar pro, etc, aren't used to be sensitive with their throttle and brake input, arcade and simcade titles are fairly forgiving...

As for rFactor 2, it is safe to assume that most hardcore rF1 users already got their hands on rF2, so those you are looking to appeal with the demo is the people who either have no experience with real sims, or have with some other sims.

Let's do a little survey:

You download a brand new track, you never ran on, have no knowledge of it, which car will you pick to learn the track? The F1, vette, gtr, or clio, f3, skip?

I think it will speak for itself!

9. wgeuze

wgeuze Registered

I always learn a track with the car I'm planning to drive on it mostly. I think it's a bit silly learning the track with one car, then driving it with a different car, braking points, turn in, sometimes even other lines, you'll have to relearn the track... Better learn how to handle the car first instead :)

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

My ideal demo would have included the Meganes @ Mills.

I still think that's the best car and the best track ISI has made for rF2.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

it's called a green track, you need to rubber it in.

as for the OP I agree to some extent, whilst the corvette would be good for experienced sim racers those new to the genre or rFactor in general might be better off with a lower HP car. Plus two cars gives a bit more diversity and covers RWD and FWD sim racing fans.

12. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

C6R is a very good car but sounds a bit weird to include only one car to demo version. F3 would be a good addition imo.

13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

I agree, the historics have a great appeal and a very distinctive feel which sets them apart from modern racers. Would be good to let potentional customer get familiar with the both ends of the range imo.

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Don't you think this might stop newer users go striaght for the easier choice? This may open them up to racing online with other cars from the start. No megane at Mills all the time ;)

Demo is like a showcase.... I think the C6 and Lime Rock do that quite well.

15. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I think the Vette is fine. People who try out Rfactor 2 for the first time should automatically know this is a simulation and should expect a degree of difficulty involved.

Us racing sims for years we can spot out the difference, but a new comer no matter what he drives, is still going to have a lot of off track trips. Biggest thing for a new comer to learn is how to brake. Its easy to go fast, its harder to stop.

16. 88mphTim

The demo is already quite a large download. Nothing to stop them adding some other car themselves.

17. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I guess it's also about appeal. C6 at Limerock is a very "real life" combination from ALMS. This will appeal to the US market a lot.

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

the must have thing for me would be a big splash screen at the start of the demo explaining the need to rubber in a green track, that is going to be (if not already!) the biggest "complaint" from newcomers as this is currently the only sim with a proper alive dynamic track.

queue the "it's like driving on ice!" threads :p

19. 88mphTim

I'm going to try to get the relevant pages up today for the demo guides. I might go oldschool HTML and have a flashing nasty GIF explaining that, next to a GIF of cartman farting, a dancing baby or something. I miss the old internet. ;)

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

ahh good stuff, haha yeah something to grab the attention and get the point across!

incidentally watching qualifying for the v8supercars at hidden valley recently, commentator Mark Skaife mentioned how the drivers had complained in first practice about the lack of grip..."like driving on ice" is what they told him!